Voyage of Seawing

The Crew of Seawing are preparing to embark on an epic adventure, sailing southward through the Caribbean. Follow along on this site and experience the adventure with them.

05 October 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma, Bahamas
05 May 2009 | Long Island, Bahamas
04 May 2009 | Georgetown, Exuma, Bahamas
20 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
19 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
18 April 2009 | Sand Dollar Beach, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
07 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
04 April 2009 | Elizabeth Harbour, Great Exuma, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
03 April 2009 | Little Farmers Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
31 March 2009 | Little Farmers Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
30 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
28 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
26 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
25 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
23 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
21 March 2009 | Normans Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas

Shroud Cay

31 December 1969 | Shroud Cay, Exuma, Bahamas
Glenn.
I Began preparing Seawing for sea this morning just after 0800 (though most preparations were completed last night in anticipation of a morning departure). Today's plan is to sail for Shroud Cay, only about a half-day sail away.

Snorkeling at the Sea Aquarium was amazing; though I injured my knee getting back into the dingy and had to be taken to park HQ and then Staniel Cay for stitched by high-speed boat (fun ride).

Anchor finally weighed this morning at 0840 and underway. The day's sail was pretty uneventful.

A first glance, it looked like I'd need to be anchoring pretty far away from Shroud Cay, and we'd planned to go ashore. Upon closer examination, I found that it looked like there was a narrow band of water just deep enough to accommodate our five-foot draft, that opened up into a wider area where we could anchor, much closer-in ... just off the NW shore of Shroud Cay. We carefully and slowly motored in and found just as the chart indicated and anchored, in pretty shallow water. Directly in front of us was a very pretty, bit extremely tiny little beach. A little to the north, was a creek into the mangroves, that leads right through the cay to the ocean side for surf and one of the prettiest little beaches in the Caribbean.

Ben and I took the dingy and went blasting through the creek to the other side of the cay and then went back and after lunch, we all went to spend some time on the beach. Tide was dropping so while the trip through the creek was fine going out, but extremely shallow coming back ... we all walked pulling the dingy part of the way. It was nice to spend some beach-time.

We plan to sail for Nassau in the morning.
Comments
Vessel Name: SeawingI
Vessel Make/Model: Gulfstar Aux. 41'
Hailing Port: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Crew: Glenn, Sue, Jacquie & Ben
Home Page: www.seawing.net

Who are these crazy sailors anyhow?

Who: Glenn, Sue, Jacquie & Ben
Port: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Q: Why "Seawing"? A: "If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me." (Psalms 139:9-10)
"And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead." (Acts 17:30-31)