Voyage of Seawing

The Crew of Seawing are preparing to embark on an epic adventure, sailing southward through the Caribbean. Follow along on this site and experience the adventure with them.

05 October 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma, Bahamas
05 May 2009 | Long Island, Bahamas
04 May 2009 | Georgetown, Exuma, Bahamas
20 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
19 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
18 April 2009 | Sand Dollar Beach, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
07 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
04 April 2009 | Elizabeth Harbour, Great Exuma, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
03 April 2009 | Little Farmers Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
31 March 2009 | Little Farmers Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
30 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
28 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
26 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
25 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
23 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
21 March 2009 | Normans Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas

Cowboy Is Gone

17 August 2008 | Fort Myers, FL
Glenn.


A couple months back, when we moved Seawing from our friend's place in Fort Myers Shores to the Fort Myers Yacht Basin to complete the refit, we got a new neighbor. We had requested a slip with room & away from others, as we were going to make noise, setup saws and generally be a nuisance. They put is at the far end of the marina, next to Cowboy. Cowboy had been living in the marina for about a year, had some trouble getting along well with some others, due to his somewhat thorny nature. We made a point of making friends with Cowboy & enjoyed his company.



Cowboy is a retired U.S. Marine; you know, "Once a Marine, always a Marine". Cowboy's 30' powerboat id named "Semper Fi", which is the motto of the Marine Corp (for a definition of Semper Fi, have a read of this site: http://www.oo-rah.com/Store/editorial/edi52.asp). For some reason, Cowboy had a habit of being very outspoken & once he had made his mind up about something, it was decided. Once he decided you were his friend, you were his friend.

Our kids seemed to find a soft spot in Cowboy's heart. He was forever bringing them cookies & treats. One day the kids and I were working on the boat & he asked if he could bring them lunch. He brought Ben a tuna sandwich....the tuna still in the can, between two slices of bread and taped together with packing tape....Ben laughed and laughed. Cowboy said he would bring Jacquie something that would stick to her ribs....a roll of packing tape on a plate. He then brought a box with very nice sandwiches, cookies and fruit....for the kids (nothing for me...:-) ).




I have talked with Cowboy a number of times about eternity....what will happen when he dies and stands before God to give answer on the Day of Judgment. He was not very open to talk, polite but didn't think there is a God, favored evolution. Last Wednesday, returning from the Bahamas, I got a message on my phone from the Marina office about a sander on Cowboy's boat....strange message & how'd they know I'd loaned Cowboy a sander?

The young man who has been working with me on the boat had spent the previous Thursday afternoon with Cowboy. They had ridden their bikes to Wal-Mart to get Mike a pay-as-you-go cell phone. Crossing a street, Cowboy was hit by a car, right up on the hood of the car. The elderly woman driving had her head turned and did not see him at first. Cowboy had the presence of mind to reach out and pick-up his bike, so it was not run over. When the driver saw him, she hit the brakes throwing him onto the street, injuring him slightly. He saw his opportunity to make money from a lawsuit; cheering him up greatly....he was buying steak & lobster to grill for he and Mike.

It seems that ol' Cowboy, while he was sitting on the dock with Mike, fishing, had a few too-many beers. He was unsteady on his feet and fell in the water. He couldn't get out himself, so Mike pulled him out. A bit later, Mike left to get some items for supper, asking Cowboy to get started on grilling the steaks. Returning from the supermarket, no Cowboy to be found. It was dark by now; he looked around and found nothing. Knowing Cowboy was drunk, he figured he had wandered off (known to happen). He even checked in the water again. Finally, he cleaned up Cowboy's stuff and went back to Seawing for a sandwich and bed. Mike awakened in the morning to a crowd of police knocking on the door; Cowboy was found floating in the marina that morning, drown.

Click here to read the news story

Cowboy's death has really hit Mike hard. It is really bothering him, figuring he should have, could have maybe saved him if he'd been there. He's also figuring he should have talked to him about God. I feel the same way. I talked to Cowboy about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but as he was not open & wanting to maintain the friendship of a neighbor, I didn't push it. I've had someone I'd witnessed to die before, but knew I'd been faithful to present the whole truth of the Gospel; I'm not sure I can say that this time.

If you are a Christian, you have a responsibility to warn those around you of the coming Day of Judgment & exhort them to Repent & Believe the Gospel. Open your Bible and read Ezekiel 33:8-9 & Acts 20:26-27.
Comments
Vessel Name: SeawingI
Vessel Make/Model: Gulfstar Aux. 41'
Hailing Port: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Crew: Glenn, Sue, Jacquie & Ben
Home Page: www.seawing.net

Who are these crazy sailors anyhow?

Who: Glenn, Sue, Jacquie & Ben
Port: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Q: Why "Seawing"? A: "If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me." (Psalms 139:9-10)
"And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead." (Acts 17:30-31)