Voyage of Seawing

The Crew of Seawing are preparing to embark on an epic adventure, sailing southward through the Caribbean. Follow along on this site and experience the adventure with them.

05 October 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma, Bahamas
05 May 2009 | Long Island, Bahamas
04 May 2009 | Georgetown, Exuma, Bahamas
20 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
19 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
18 April 2009 | Sand Dollar Beach, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
07 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
04 April 2009 | Elizabeth Harbour, Great Exuma, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
03 April 2009 | Little Farmers Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
31 March 2009 | Little Farmers Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
30 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
28 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
26 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
25 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
23 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
21 March 2009 | Normans Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas

Health Update

15 October 2008 | Fort Myers, FL
Glenn.
This has been an interesting last few months. Last summer (July/August) I (Glenn) began to lose sight in part of my right eye. It's the weirdest thing, just a dark or empty spot in my vision. Concerned, I went to see an eye doctor to see what could be wrong; she was quite concerned & referred me to a retina specialist (same day) for a complete set of diagnostic tests...boy were they thorough. For a bit, we were thinking I had macular degeneration, until another doctor actually read in detail the reports the retina specialists submitted.

The eye doctor examined me again, on a follow-up began to think more, and referred me to a neurologist. The neurologist sent me for blood tests, MRI, ultrasound and a Visual Evoked Response test. Collecting the data, he told me it seems I had something called Optic Neuropathy. This means an autoimmune condition with demyelination of my optic nerve (kinda like stripping the insulation of my internal wiring....causes shorting out). This is a precursor to Multiple Sclerosis....50/50 chances or better of developing the disease.

The doctor sent me to the hospital every day for a week, to have intravenous steroid, hoping it would help to restore some of the lost vision/repair some of the damage. This was tough...not the being stabbed in the arm so much, but the stuff ruins your sleep for the week and messes up yer stomach. By the end of the week, it felt I was carrying a large, rolling bowling ball in my stomach....nasty! Right at the end of this week, I had to run across Florida, preach at South Beach (Bar District) in Miami then board a ship for the Bahamas and preaching there for a week (fortunately by Tuesday my stomach was back to normal).

We would appreciate your prayers as we continue to deal with this now and into the future!

Glenn.
Comments
Vessel Name: SeawingI
Vessel Make/Model: Gulfstar Aux. 41'
Hailing Port: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Crew: Glenn, Sue, Jacquie & Ben
Home Page: www.seawing.net

Who are these crazy sailors anyhow?

Who: Glenn, Sue, Jacquie & Ben
Port: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Q: Why "Seawing"? A: "If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me." (Psalms 139:9-10)
"And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead." (Acts 17:30-31)