Voyage of Seawing

The Crew of Seawing are preparing to embark on an epic adventure, sailing southward through the Caribbean. Follow along on this site and experience the adventure with them.

05 October 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma, Bahamas
05 May 2009 | Long Island, Bahamas
04 May 2009 | Georgetown, Exuma, Bahamas
20 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
19 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
18 April 2009 | Sand Dollar Beach, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
07 April 2009 | Stocking Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
04 April 2009 | Elizabeth Harbour, Great Exuma, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
03 April 2009 | Little Farmers Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
31 March 2009 | Little Farmers Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
30 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
28 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
26 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
25 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
24 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
23 March 2009 | Big Major Spot, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
21 March 2009 | Normans Cay, Exuma Cays, Bahamas

LEAVING FREEPORT (passage to Great Harbour.fish & cruiseships

10 March 2009 | Great Stirrup Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
Glenn.
After our first aborted attempt to leave Freeport and to sail further south, we waited about another ten days, completing more boat-projects & waiting for weather. Our weather window finally came and we left the dock in the dark, just before 7am on March 10th, sailing south toward Great Harbour in the Berry Islands..about sixty nautical miles away.

Winds were very, very light out of the ESE, so right on our nose. We motored across in very calm seas - at most a 12" ripple on the water all day. We saw a number of ships, but none close enough for us to have to alter course for.

I set a fishing rig with a fancy flashy colored lure at the stern of the boat & went below for a nap, leaving Sue and the kids on watch (the autopilot steering the boat all day). I'd not been down napping for more than half and hour, when someone turned around and noticed that my fishing rod was bend quite a bit more than usual..seems we'd caught a fish. We're not usually very good at catching fish, so everyone was speculating what kind of junk or seaweed we might've caught on the line...until we began to see the bright yellow and green shape skipping across the top of the water as I reeled in the line. We'd caught a beautiful Dolphin (no, not flipper...a fish also known as a Dorado or a Mahi Mahi). We filleted and ate this VERY tasty fish that night over pasta for supper..yummy!

Throwing the scraps overboard at anchor that night, the largest Grouper I've seen, came out from under our boat & began to gobble the scraps. I put the next scraps on a hook, but no-doing..he didn't get that big by being stupid I guess.

At Great Harbour, we anchored in a little place called Panton Cove..looks large, but the area deep enough for boats (like 6"-12" under our keel at low tide some places) has only about enough room for two anchored boats. There was a Gemini catamaran anchored just beyond Snake Cay already, so we anchored just before Snake Cay and after cleaning up the boat, dingied to shore to explore Great Stirrup Cay. About half of Great Stirrup Cay is owned by Norwegian Cruise Lines & used as playground day-resort for their cruise ship passengers as they pass by. Ships anchor for the afternoon, ferrying their passengers to shore in waiting landing craft to play on the beach, snorkel, eat burgers and barbeque and generally have a good time. We walked over to see what it was all about and found them loading the last of the passengers for the day on landing craft to go back to the ship. Surprisingly, the staff didn't kick us out, but invited us to come back during the day for another ship, said we could hang-out with the passengers in the resort and eat free-food all day. I guess they figure that with 2500 cruise ship passengers the addition of another 4 sailors doesn't really make any difference.they even invited us to come and anchor off the beach right in front of the place.

After an amazingly enjoyable crossing, we settled in for a relaxing night's sleep at anchor in this quiet little cove.
Comments
Vessel Name: SeawingI
Vessel Make/Model: Gulfstar Aux. 41'
Hailing Port: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Crew: Glenn, Sue, Jacquie & Ben
Home Page: www.seawing.net

Who are these crazy sailors anyhow?

Who: Glenn, Sue, Jacquie & Ben
Port: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Q: Why "Seawing"? A: "If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me." (Psalms 139:9-10)
"And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead." (Acts 17:30-31)