Tell-Tales

Vessel Name: Skylax
Vessel Make/Model: Warwick Cardinal 46
Crew: Rod & Lu Heikell
About:
Before Lu and I got married I had to tell her that I would always spend more money on a mistress than a wife. The mistress at that time was a previous boat, seven tenths, a Cheoy Lee Pedrick 36. �Likewise�, she replied, �just as I will always spend money on my lover�. [...]
28 February 2008 | Greece to Antigua
28 February 2008 | Greece
Recent Blog Posts
07 March 2008

Updates before returning to Skylax

For the complete blog and supplement to Ocean Passages & Landfalls go to www.freewebs.com/seawrite

28 February 2008 | Greece to Antigua

October 07 to Jan 08

28 February 2008 | Greece

July to September 2007

For the complete blog go to www.freewebs.com/seawrite

Updates before returning to Skylax

07 March 2008
RJH
For the complete blog and supplement to Ocean Passages & Landfalls go to www.freewebs.com/seawrite

Ocean Passages and Landfalls
The second supplement for this book is now up on the Supplement page on the Tell-Tales site. See side-bar. It is all plain text.

05-03-08

Cruising Association Centennial Pilotage Fund

This will be announced in the yachting mags and by the CA in the CA magazine Cruising very soon. Imrays will be providing an information pack on application to them. www.imray.com.
MARCH NEWS - Cruising Association Centennial Pilotage Fund

A fund to encourage new writing in the area of pilotage and cruising is being made available by Rod Heikell and Imrays to mark the CA's centenary. The project is open for any cruising area in the world and proposals for conventional pilotage as well as innovative writing will both be welcome.

A fund of �3000 will be made available to cover expenses for research and writing for applicants. The CA will also provide two years free membership to the successful applicant and the winning proposal will then be published by Imrays.

Further information from Fred Barter at the Cruising Association.

BBC shortwave blues

03-03-08

Sadly the BBC has cut most of it's shortwave services for World service broadcasts covering the Med and other large chunks of the world. The rationale is that most people are receiving the beeb's world service by other means which means mostly via the internet. Oh yeah. Apart from those us cruising around on yachts without a huge Inmarsat dome on the back and the money to bankroll the connection, what about all of those people around the world who have wonderful little wind-up radios because there is no electricity let alone a telephone line to pipe a connection down.

This is just miserable cost-cutting to subsidise the beeb's foray into other services to take on it's domestic rivals. While the world service continues on the internet, some FM stations such as in Antigua and Tonga, and a few of it's shortwave services, it leaves a huge gap. Oh I wish they would reconsider but the shortwave transmitters have probably been sold for scrap already.
link
Comments

About & Links