Back In Time....07/01/2009
In case you were confused and thought we were going back in time, I thought I'd explain that the previous three blog posts were just received, but were from several different times over the past week. Apparently the sat phone finally decided to cooperate and connect to the internet.
DavidEllis underway 01 July 0630 UTC07/01/2009
I've been so frustrated at the failure of the sat phone to talk to the computer, that I haven't bothered to try since leaving Kushiro. Just thought I'd take a shot and see what happens.
26 June 000 UTC, DavidEllis underway07/01/2009
We got away from Kushiro at about 0030 UTC 25 Jun. The day before, we installed a new raw water riser that had been built for us in one of the shipyards at Kushiro, to replace our own which had developed leaks at the welds. We had not been able to run the engine until re-installing this pipe. Upon running the engine to check for leaks at the new installation; and also test the by-pass oil filter for impact on oil pressure, and the bypass "red-dot" heater system which runs engine coolant thru coil boxes with fans in the salon and aft cabin; and also to check for leaks after changing out oil and fuel filters -- all went well except we found a leak in the body of the raw water pump! It appears to be a crack, so I rummaged thru spares and found that I had purchased a spare raw water pump for the John Deere -- good! But taking it out of it's wrappings and holding alongside the old one the mounting flange looks completely different -- 4 holes instead of 2; 1 piece base instead of 2 bolted together pieces -- bad! After pondering the whole thing for awhile, and having faith in Barb at Hatton Marine; while the rest of the crew slept (thinking we were now not leaving Kushiro in the morning), I dismounted the leaking pump, and surprise, surprise! (as Gomer Pyle would say), it fit -- different, but it definitely fit, and the gasket was still usable too.
[ Contents ]