Semper Vivens

04 October 2010 | Berlin, DE
29 September 2010 | Düsseldorf-Köln-Düsseldorf
28 September 2010 | Muiden – Terborg - Düsseldorf
27 September 2010 | Amsterdam, NL
27 September 2010 | Callantsoog, NL (6m below sea level)
25 September 2010 | Callantsoog-Hoorn-Breezanddijk-Den Helder-Callantsoog NL
23 September 2010 | Arras, France
22 September 2010 | Dieppe-Picquigny-Albert-Vimy, FR
21 September 2010 | Pourville(Dieppe), FR
19 September 2010 | Le Mont St-Michel, Saint-Malo, Tréhorenteuc
18 September 2010 | Courseulles-sur-Mer, FR
17 September 2010 | St-Agnan-le-Malherbe and Bayeux
16 September 2010 | St-Agnan-le-Malherbe
15 September 2010 | Heuqueville, FR
07 April 2010 | HFX
07 April 2010 | HFX
23 December 2009
16 September 2009 | HFX
06 September 2009 | hfx
01 September 2009 | HFX

Savannah!

25 November 2007 | City Dock Marina, Savannah, GA
Overcast, cool
We made our way from Beaufort SC to Savannah GA, delayed in our departure by astronomic high tides (two feet higer than normal). While the fixed bridges along the ICW are 65' above mean high water, the full moon and weather brought much higher tides, and we had to wait a few hours before passing under the Port Royal bridge. Once through, the current, wind and our motor clipped us along at 9.7 knots for a bit, a speed we hadn't experienced since we went through Hell Gate above New York City.

We docked at the City Marina in Savannah, immediately in front of the historic River Street stone buildings. Built along the river's edge in front of a forty-foot bluff, they are connected by wood and iron bridges to the street level above and behind, and house many interesting shops and restaurants, and the pecan pralines here are excellent!

The rest of Savannah's waterfront is very industrial, and the steady stream of container ships attests to a thriving port.

Our arrival in Savannah coincided with the start of Christmas Lights Boat Parade. While we quickly hoisted our own string of lights to join in the fun, our skiiny string of LEDs paled in comparison to some of the brilliant and extravagant light displays that paraded along the river, and there were at least sixty boats participating. This was followed by a fantastic half-hour fireworks show...a great way to start our visit!

Savannah was founded in 1733, the last of the British colonial capitals established in America. Led by General James Oglethorpe, the city plan is remarkable for its squares, which give the city a great number of green spaces, many featuring statutes and memorials of historical significance. In fact there are over 1,000 architecturally significant buildings in Savannah, including the Cotton Exchange shown above. During the Civil War, the Confederate States Army successfully evacuated Savannah in the face of the Union Army onslaught, sparing the city a potentially long and destructive siege.
Comments
Vessel Name: Semper Vivens
Vessel Make/Model: Avance 40
Hailing Port: Halifax, NS
Crew: Judy, Steve, Stephanie and Marine
About: Having completed a nine-month voyage in 'Semper Vivens' in 2007/08, the crew develops itchy feet again and decide to head over to Europe for a four-month "land cruise"!

About Us

Who: Judy, Steve, Stephanie and Marine
Port: Halifax, NS