Semper Vivens

04 October 2010 | Berlin, DE
29 September 2010 | Düsseldorf-Köln-Düsseldorf
28 September 2010 | Muiden – Terborg - Düsseldorf
27 September 2010 | Amsterdam, NL
27 September 2010 | Callantsoog, NL (6m below sea level)
25 September 2010 | Callantsoog-Hoorn-Breezanddijk-Den Helder-Callantsoog NL
23 September 2010 | Arras, France
22 September 2010 | Dieppe-Picquigny-Albert-Vimy, FR
21 September 2010 | Pourville(Dieppe), FR
19 September 2010 | Le Mont St-Michel, Saint-Malo, Tréhorenteuc
18 September 2010 | Courseulles-sur-Mer, FR
17 September 2010 | St-Agnan-le-Malherbe and Bayeux
16 September 2010 | St-Agnan-le-Malherbe
15 September 2010 | Heuqueville, FR
07 April 2010 | HFX
07 April 2010 | HFX
23 December 2009
16 September 2009 | HFX
06 September 2009 | hfx
01 September 2009 | HFX

Finally! A fish!

06 April 2008 | Spencer's Bight
A bit of everything
Photo: Dinner!

We left Spanish Wells yesterday and staged at Royal Island before crossing the Northeast Providence Channel to Great Abaco. Once we started into the channel, the seas built up to 6-8 foot swells from the northeast, with wind chop from the south confusing the surface. Another boat that had departed Spanish Wells this morning called on the VHF to inform us of a line of squalls approaching from the west, and we turned our radar on to start tracking its progress. The channel is a major shipping route as well, and we had four large ships pass by within five miles and less, including one we spoke with that was on its way to Egypt.

The squalls were easily visible on radar, and in anticipation of a wind shift followed by 25-30-knot winds, we decided to drop our mainsail and bring the jib in a bit. The wind literally flattened the seas, and this time Semper V got a full fresh water shower the natural way!

Once the squalls blew through we carried on towards Little harbour, but decided not to proceed through the cut there as the swells were still quite large and the tide was low. We instead went through North Bar Channel and anchored at Spencer's Bight. On the way in, I started hauling in our fishing line that we trailed behind us. I felt some resistence, and figured that we had caught yet another clump of seaweed. No one was more surprised than myself when I saw a flash of silver at the end of the line, and I hauled in a little tunny!

Finally, some redemption as a hunter-gatherer! I was beginning to think that we wouldn't catch a thing during our entire Bahamas leg of the cruise, but tonight we enjoyed fresh fish!
Comments
Vessel Name: Semper Vivens
Vessel Make/Model: Avance 40
Hailing Port: Halifax, NS
Crew: Judy, Steve, Stephanie and Marine
About: Having completed a nine-month voyage in 'Semper Vivens' in 2007/08, the crew develops itchy feet again and decide to head over to Europe for a four-month "land cruise"!

About Us

Who: Judy, Steve, Stephanie and Marine
Port: Halifax, NS