Semper Vivens

04 October 2010 | Berlin, DE
29 September 2010 | Düsseldorf-Köln-Düsseldorf
28 September 2010 | Muiden – Terborg - Düsseldorf
27 September 2010 | Amsterdam, NL
27 September 2010 | Callantsoog, NL (6m below sea level)
25 September 2010 | Callantsoog-Hoorn-Breezanddijk-Den Helder-Callantsoog NL
23 September 2010 | Arras, France
22 September 2010 | Dieppe-Picquigny-Albert-Vimy, FR
21 September 2010 | Pourville(Dieppe), FR
19 September 2010 | Le Mont St-Michel, Saint-Malo, Tréhorenteuc
18 September 2010 | Courseulles-sur-Mer, FR
17 September 2010 | St-Agnan-le-Malherbe and Bayeux
16 September 2010 | St-Agnan-le-Malherbe
15 September 2010 | Heuqueville, FR
07 April 2010 | HFX
07 April 2010 | HFX
23 December 2009
16 September 2009 | HFX
06 September 2009 | hfx
01 September 2009 | HFX

Dismal Swamp Day Two

27 April 2008 | Portsmouth, VA
Overcast, 19C, Wind N12
Photo: Dismal Swamp Canal

We began our day with negotiating the South Mills Lock, which raised us about six feet, and then we continued along the canal, which runs straight and narrow and shallow. The trees overhead sometimes came within several feet of the mast, and although the depth-sounder never showed less than seven feet, we occasionally bumped a few objects on the bottom, likely logs and sunken tree limbs. Still, the scenery was great, and we enjoyed a peaceful transit all the way to the Elizabeth River where, after passing though the second and final lock, the landscape changed dramatically from one of tall oaks and birds chirping, to an industrial moonscape that might have been what Blake had in mind when he wrote of "dark satanic mills". Welcome to Norfolk and its immense port area!

We tucked into a public marina at Portsmouth, just across the river from Norfolk and the USS Wisconsin floating museum, and in sight of the repair yard where the Savannah, the world's first nuclear-powered merchant ship, is going through decommissioning and preservation work as a National Historic Site. We had seen it at the same yard going south, but the ship now sports a new coat of paint, and looks very striking with its curving lines, a far cry from the floating boxes that are today's merchant ships. We managed a quick tour of the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Museum and its preserved lightship, and then walked around the historic section of town, with plenty of gothic revival architecture and interpretive signs to describe the historic locations we were walking past. The ferry to Norfolk leaves Portsmouth just across from our berth, and we plan to head over in the morning to visit our friends in Marianna, and then check out some museums over there. We will part ways with Marianna here as they are going to Deltaville to haul out until they resume their voyage sometime later this summer.
Comments
Vessel Name: Semper Vivens
Vessel Make/Model: Avance 40
Hailing Port: Halifax, NS
Crew: Judy, Steve, Stephanie and Marine
About: Having completed a nine-month voyage in 'Semper Vivens' in 2007/08, the crew develops itchy feet again and decide to head over to Europe for a four-month "land cruise"!

About Us

Who: Judy, Steve, Stephanie and Marine
Port: Halifax, NS