Serendipity's Journeys

07 July 2013 | Ashland OR
06 July 2013 | Medford, OR
05 July 2013 | Rogue River, Oregon
01 July 2013 | California
29 June 2013 | Redwood City, CA
20 June 2013 | California
22 April 2013 | Green Cove Springs, Florida
10 April 2013 | Fernandina
06 April 2013 | Nassau Harbor, Bahamas
26 March 2013 | Big Major
26 March 2013 | Big Major, Bahamas
25 March 2013 | Rocky Dundas
24 March 2013 | O'Brien's Cay, Bahamas
23 March 2013 | Exuma Sound
22 March 2013 | Exuma Sound

Passage to Black Point

22 March 2013 | Exuma Sound
ldz
It is amazing that the fear we felt coming in and out of Georgetown’s Elizabeth Harbor the first times is so much abated. We left Monument Beach around 8, waving goodbye to friends Theresa and Dave and set off through the Conch Cay Cut with only a few pangs of worry on our way to Galliot Cay. The sky was clear, and we made it Exuma Sound just fine, but where oh where is the wonderful southeast wind we are supposed to have?

Nonetheless, it was enough to help, and the engine really hasn’t gotten much of a workout lately… We actually made great time, as the seas were essentially flat (funny thing, no wind, no waves) , and decided to push on to Black Point instead. A couple hours later, we heard from our friends Gloria and Michael that they too would push on, so we agreed to get together for dinner. We had timed the trip to come in on what we thought would be a slack flood tide- just after the hight tide hour. Instead, there were over 3 knots against us. HUH? But it all went fine and we set anchor about 5. Just a few minutes later, Cotinga also dropped the hook just to our port side. We dinghied the dog over on our way to shore to say hello, and saw Michael with a HUGE Mahi that he had caught. WOW, he was a beauty.

Maggie enjoyed making the rounds of a familiar haunt AND there were two enormous stingrays off the dinghy dock that captured her fancy. We took a stroll, chatted with some of the locals- there are a lot fewer cruisers here on the way north than when we were first here in Feb. The town had a lovely stillness, which we savored.


Back to catch up with friends we hadn’t seen since Florida! With the Cotinga cooks and a fresh Mahi, needless to say, it was a great dinner. Spent a very happy couple hours swapping sea tales and planning the next couple days. We agreed to visit Cambridge Cay first, to take advantage of the southern winds and gain protection at the anchorage for the predicted west winds. In plotting a scheduled departure time, we discussed the difficulties of trying to determine slack tide for the cuts. Since we were obviously too late for slack today, which we timed right at high tide, we will try leaving an hour BEFORE low tide tomorrow. Time will tell…..
Comments
Vessel Name: Serendipity
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol 38.8
Hailing Port: Tiverton, RI
Crew: Lynn Zemlin, Lee Trimble & Boat Dog Maggie
About: Finally arrived in the Bahamas - Destination 1 achieved.
Extra: OH NO! Is it REALLY time to leave already?
Home Page: ldzemlin@gmail.com

Who: Lynn Zemlin, Lee Trimble & Boat Dog Maggie
Port: Tiverton, RI