M/V Shangri-La CruiseBlog

This is the Cruise Journal of the M/V Shangri-La crewed by Cap'n Kenny and Nancy Sallee of Oconto, WI.

22 November 2012
28 July 2012 | Oak Orchard, WI
28 July 2012 | Pensaukee, WI
15 July 2012 | Oconto, WI
25 June 2012 | Oconto, WI
23 June 2012 | WavePoint Marina, Little Sturgeon, WI
09 June 2012 | Oconto, WI
28 August 2011 | Oconto, Wisconsin
22 August 2011 | Oconto, Wisconsin
20 August 2011 | Oconto, Wisconsin
28 July 2011 | Little Sturgeon Bay, WI
19 July 2011 | Bay of Green Bay, Wisconsin
16 July 2011 | Oconto Yacht Club, Oconto, WI
15 August 2010 | Oconto Yacht Club, Oconto, WI
14 August 2010 | Menominee, MI
13 August 2010 | Menominee, MI
05 July 2010 | The Bay of Green Bay
04 July 2010 | The Bay of Green Bay
03 July 2010 | The Bay of Green Bay
02 July 2010 | The Bay of Green Bay

Menominee Cruise Day 3

15 August 2010 | Oconto Yacht Club, Oconto, WI
Cap'n Kenny
I was up by 06:00 hours this morning. I made coffee then checked on today's weather. Today we were planing on returning back to Oconto. The marine weather forecast called for west winds at 15 to 25 knots and waves 1 to 3 feet in the morning, building to 3 to 5 feet in the early afternoon. Small craft warnings were to be expected to be posted by 14:00 hours this afternoon. Tomorrow's forecast was even worst.

I discussed the weather with the other club members and told them I planned on leaving as early as I can. The winds were already breezy and it didn't look like it was going to get any better. The longer we wait, the rougher it was going to get out on the bay. The other members agreed with me and also planned on leaving early.

I woke Barb up and let her know we were leaving early. She started securing things in the cabin for a possible rough ride back to Oconto. It was around 09:00 hours when we left the docks. The ride from the marina to Menekaunee Shoal wasn't bad. After passing the shoal it started getting choppy. The closer we got to the Peshtigo Lighthouse, the rougher it got. The ride still wasn't too bad though until we made our turn to the west after the lighthouse for our final leg to Oconto. Then we started getting 3 footers. 3 footers in the Bay of Green Bay is a lot rougher than 3 footers on Lake Michigan because of the shorter frequency of the waves. But our heavy steel Roamer cut right through the waves, splashing water clear over our boat. Barb went down below and actually went to sleep on the v-birth. A smaller or lighter fiberglass boat really takes a pounding in these kind of waves. We finely made it back to the Oconto Yacht Club by 11:00 hours, about 2 hours after we left Menominee.

Comments
Vessel Name: Shangri-La
Vessel Make/Model: The Shangri-La is a 35' steel hulled 1960 Chris-Craft Roamer Express Cruiser Deluxe 6S. Hull # ROX35-418
Hailing Port: Oconto, WI
Crew: Master - Kenny D. Sallee, First Mate - Nancy L. Sallee
About: Captain Kenny Sallee is licensed by the United States Coast Guard as a Master of Steam or Motor Vessels for the Great Lakes and Inland Waters with a Master Commercial Assistance Towing Endorsement. Coast Guard License # 000206821.
Extra: The Shangri-La is a USCG documented vessel with a Coastwise Unrestricted Trade Endorsement in service as a Passenger Vessel (6 or fewer).
Home Page: http://www.owfish.com
Shangri-La's Photos - Main
19 Photos
Created 16 January 2011
15 Photos
Created 16 January 2011