A Cruise Around the Block

10 August 2013 | Portishead Bristol
08 August 2013 | Padstow
05 August 2013 | Falmouth
02 August 2013 | Falmouth
31 July 2013 | Dartmouth
27 July 2013 | Dartmouth
23 July 2013 | Ramsgate
21 July 2013 | St. Katherine's Dock
18 July 2013 | Lowestoft
11 July 2013 | Blythe
09 July 2013 | Stonehaven
07 July 2013 | Wick
26 June 2013 | Stromness
22 June 2013 | Stornoway
15 June 2013 | Mallaig
10 June 2013 | Tobermory
08 June 2013 | Oban
04 June 2013 | Port Ellen, Islay
02 June 2013 | Bangor
20 May 2013 | Holyhead

Outer Hebrides, Bottom to Top

22 June 2013 | Stornoway
Rod
I'm in the public library at Stornoway. We arrived here on Thursday evening after a great sail up from Loch Maddy in a force 5. The wind was fair and we started under genoa and set the main of Loch Tarbert. The highlight of the week was on Sunday. We sailed to Canna, the most westerly of the Small Isles, tucked under the mountains of Rum. It was one of the most beautiful harbours I've ever visited. The sun was warm, the seals were basking on the rocks as we entered. We paid our mooring dues in the tiny community shop where no one serves, it's all down to the honesty box. We ate in a tiny cafe overlooking the harbour and then walked to the headland to search for puffins returning to their nests. We saw nine but the oyster catchers wheeled overhead to warn off their site. At 9 pm the sun still shine brightly.
On Monday, in view of an uncertain forecast we decided to forego Loch Harport on Skye and sailed across the Minch to Lochboisdale on the tip,of South Uiste. The weather was broody the next day when we continued up the coast to Loch Maddy, entering the harbour in a sharp squall with near zero visibility. We picked up a buoy near the ferry terminal and sat it out that day. On Wednesday we got ashore, did the tin village and ate on board again. On the Thursday the weather improved so we decided to run for Stornoway, which is delightful. The seals were there to greet us, circling the fishing boats on the lookout for a takeaway. This morning Geoff, Mike and Alan departed on the 7 o'clock ferry to Ullerpool to start their long journey home. Tonight Paul, Bob and Steve arrive. The determination of my crew to fight their way up to these remote islands is humbling. Thanks to all thus far. Shearwater continues to sail well. Next weekend, if I'm lucky, we'll get to Stromness, my Northern turning mark.
Comments
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly Fulmar
Hailing Port: Portishead Quays Marina Bristol
Crew: Rod Shiers and pals
About: sailing friends from down the years and fellow members of Ogston Sailing Club

A Cruise Around the Block

Who: Rod Shiers and pals
Port: Portishead Quays Marina Bristol