S/V Si Bon

Who: Steve Cook
Port: San Diego, California
21 May 2013 | San Diego
05 May 2013 | San Diego
19 April 2013 | Sun Harbor Marina, San Diego, Ca. USA
17 April 2013 | Ensenada to San Diego
08 April 2013 | San Diego (by land)
06 April 2013 | San Diego (by land)
03 April 2013 | Marina Coral, Ensenada, Baja California
29 March 2013 | Ensenada
25 March 2013 | Bahia Tortuga, Baja California
21 March 2013 | Punta Abreojos
12 March 2013 | San Jose Cabo
10 March 2013 | San Jose Cabo
06 March 2013 | Nuevo Vallarta
28 February 2013 | Paradise Village, Nuevo Vallarta mexico
26 January 2013 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
04 January 2013 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
23 December 2012 | Barra de Navidad
19 December 2012 | success and failure
17 December 2012 | Ixtapa to Manzanillo

Spring break

22 April 2011 | Puerto Balandra
Steve
When most people in the states think of spring break they think of college aged kids drinking themselves into a stupor and being as far away from their parents as possible. Here in Mexico spring break is a time to be with your families, they go to the beach together, they go out to dinner together and they attend church activities together. Don't get me wrong, they still do their fair share of partying...it's just that they do it with their families.
We decided to stay anchored at Balandra this week during our mini cruise, Balandra offers more protection from the pesky Coromuel winds and with road access there were plenty of locals to intermingle with. On Tuesday we decided to take the dinghy in to the beach and walk about 1.5 miles to another beach called Playa Tecolote. Tecolote has waverunner rentals, lots of locals enjoying spring break and of course several palapa bars. Shaybo and I decided to rent a waverunner for 40 minutes and we buzzed up and down the shore and then took it around the point to Balandra and buzzed Bob who had remained on Si Bon to relax (sorry Bob).
Before leaving for Tecolote we had a little bit of a concern about leaving the dink unattended for so long on the beach, especially with all the crowds there for spring break. On our prior trip to Balandra we had met and become friends with the local kayak rental dude, who goes by a different name every time we see him. We decided it would be best to try and find him on the crowed beach and at least talk to him before leaving to walk over to Tecolote showing the other people on the beach that we knew the head local of Balandra and thus dispelling any ideas of screwing with the gringos rubber boat. When Benjamin or David or whatever his name is finally saw us he ran up to Shaybo giving her a big hug and kiss on the cheek, then to me giving me a hug and laughing about not getting a kiss from me. We talked and laughed with Benjamin in full site of the entire beach for about 5-10 minutes and without actually having to ask him to watch our dink, we headed to Tecolote knowing damn well that no one would be messing with the dink while we were gone, proving once again that it's not what you know but who you know.
Comments
Vessel Name: Si Bon
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411
Hailing Port: San Diego, California
Crew: Steve Cook
About:
This is the plan.....In late 2009 after going on a wonderful charter to Turkey and Greece and seeing and living the cruiser lifestyle I decided to move into the next phase of my life. [...]
Extra: I am currently in Banderas Bay (Puerto Vallarta area), where I will be spending the 2012 hurricane season at the beautiful Paradise Village Marina.

Who: Steve Cook
Port: San Diego, California