Bookmark and Share

S/V Si Bon
Who: Steve Cook
Port: San Diego, California
View Complete Profile »

What happened to Steve
06/28/2011, Mainland Mexico, Sea of Cortez

I'm pretty sure all of my blog followers are wonderings...what happened to Steve and his always exciting blog? Although while anchored in Bahia Algodones, I have great cell service, I have no internet service. I am currently sitting in the Marina Real's air conditioned office posting this blog. Soon after arriving in Bahia Algodones I discovered that for $12.00 I could come over here put my dinghy in a slip and use their showers, their internet and as a fringe benefit I can toss out my trash in their dumpster. Now that might not sound like a good deal to you...but being a thrifty (cheap) cruiser, I also figured out that if I come in the late morning I can get the rest of that day and all of the following day. Now add up your internet bill, your air conditioning bill, your water bill and your trash bill and $6.00 a day starts to sound pretty good, (and I only have to pay it when I want to). Bahia Algodones is a beautiful large bay (pic) that is lined with million dollar homes, it is also home to two large resorts and Marina Real. during the weekends it is full of kids on waverunners, wakeboard boats, kayaks and small sailboats. Sunday morning I woke up and decided to move up the coast 10 miles to another bay called Bahia San Pedro. Bahia San Pedro is a picture perfect cove of which I was the only boat anchored in...certainly a lot quieter that Algodones. I spent Sunday swimming, snorkleing and rowing around this wonderful spot...wishing Shaybo was there to enjoy it with me. Monday morning the wind came up with a fury...I was anchored close to a beautiful shear rock cliff which protected me from the swells...but with 25+ knot gusts blowing across the bay, I had no choice but to stay on Si Bon. You definitely don't want to go for a hike or swim and watch your boat be blown out to sea, or onto the rocks while you're stranded in an isolated, remote bay. Finally around 1430 in afternoon the wind subsided enough for me to weigh the anchor and head back to Algodones. As I was preparing to leave, a couple of guys in a panga approached Si Bon and sold me two lobster tails for 40 pasos ($3.50) and then invited me to the beach to have dinner with them. I politely refused...hopefully next time I'll be able to join them.
Well I have another day of internet I should be able to post again then...I'm sure that will make all of my blog faithful happy.....both of them.

Tetas de Cabra
06/24/2011, Bahia Algodones

Even with all of the gadgets aboard a modern cruising yacht, it is still nice to have a visual reference when coming into an unfamilar anchorage or port. As I was nearing the coast of Mainland Mexico on Tuesday, I noticed on my chart that there was a huge mountain located behind the exact spot that I wanted to drop my hook. The day was hazy and visibliity was probably less than 15 NM. Now I really do try to keep this family oriented blog clean, but every once in awhile I just can´t contain myself. Both my family and Sharon´s family follow my blog and I´m sure before long my blog will be required reading in most class rooms and I even heard that I may now have a Catholic Priest that checks in every once in awhile....never the less here goes. The name of the mountain is Tetas de Cabra, which translates to Goat teat peak. Now being a city boy, I have no idea what the teat of a goat looks like, and honestly I have no intention of finding out. If I were to guess, I would think that this is probably an accurate discription. I do know that as I was approaching Bahia Algodones, on a hazy day, that rising above the haze, sticking out like a....well like a sore teat..was Tetas de Cabra.

06/30/2011 | Ashley Cook
ha, love it pops! :)
The crossing
06/23/2011, Sonora, Mexico

I left Santa Rosalia as planned on Tuesday morning at 0600. As I cleared the marina breakwater and turned toward the mainland of Mexico I was treated to a large fog bank hanging just off the coast. Fog is the one weather issue that concerns me the most. I had had a bad experience in fog some 30 years ago when sailing my first boat to Ensenada. That boat was poorly equipped and I basically spent 3 days bobbing around in the fog off of the Mexican coast. Although the memory remains with me, Si Bon is a VERY well equipped yacht and by keeping a close eye on the radar we plowed through the pea soup thick fog, avoiding the Santa Rosalia ferry, several shrimp boats and of course the ever present pangas.
The crossing was a total of 72 NM (nautical miles) and I had calculated that it would take me somewhere between 12-14 hours, I arrived in Playa Algodones at 1900...which if my math is correct is 13 hours. You would think that a passage of that length would be full of boredom. However, I was kept busy all day, first with the fog, then with a couple of islands that I wanted to avoid and then with several other vessels. One of the vessels was the Research vessel New Horizon, The New Horizon put out a security message (a warning) that they were restricted in their ability to manuver and should be avoided. The message was in english, they only gave a vague discription of their location and they would not answer repeated requests from S/V Si Bon to clarify their location, which turned out to be within a mile of my intended course. Luckly I was on top of things and past the New Horizon in spite of their poor seamanship skills.
All in all it was a great trip, still no horror stories to tell, but full of adventure and excitement. I am currently anchored in Playa Algodones, which is a beautiful bay also known as "Catch 22 Beach" after the 1960's movie that was filmed here. I´ll fill you in more on Playa Algodones manana.
God Bless

06/28/2011 | mark b
Trying to catch up on your blog. Ais would probably helped you in the fog. Larger commerical are suppost to have them, and it would confirm speed and location, time to collison if needed. I hope to try mine out soon on my next ocean trip.
Sailblog crash
06/20/2011, cyber space

As you probably know sailblogs experienced a crash last week. Although you were unable to get into my blog for only a couple of days....I was unable to post blogs until now.
Sooo lots of catching up to do. After returning from the states I discovered that the temps had indeed risen here in the Sea of Cortez. Before leaving on my cruise I was warned that shade was an important thing. Keeping in mind that Si Bon already had a full bimini and a dodger which completely cover the cockpit thoughts were always...shade I don´t need no stinking shade. Well once again I was proven wrong, as it is also important to keep the hot mid day sun off of the entire deck. I did have kinda a half ass little tarp and a small used sail that I tried to rig up...but that didn´t really help. It didn´t help matters that my two neighbors on each side, FireFly and Voyager have the most intense shade systems that I´ve seen. So off I went to get me some shade...and after the better part of a day I had purchased a larger tarp, cut down the used sail and put grommets it it for tie downs, rigged it all up and I now have shade. But make no mistake, FireFly and Voyager are in no risk of losing the shade award to Si Bon.
My current plan calls for me to leave Baja California tomorrow morning (early) and cross the Sea of Cortez for mainland Mexico. I will be single handing this leg. I have been super busy the last couple of days preparing for my crossing and today will be another busy day, but things are coming along nicely. I will be cruising around the San Carlos area of the mainland for about two weeks before putting Si Bon in dry storage for the hurricane season. As is becoming common, I don´t have a clue about when or if I´ll have internet access, but as soon as I do I´ll be blogging away.
God Bless.

home sweet home
06/16/2011, Si Bon....currently Santa Rosalia

Well I made it back home to Si Bon safely. After a 15.5 hour uneventful bus ride down Baja, I arrived in Santa Rosalia at 4:30 yesterday morning. The only real hitch happened at the Greyhound station in San Diego, where my bus left empty because I wasn't standing at the gate (I was standing 20 feet away waiting for them to open the door). They put me on the next bus to Tijuana, and upon arriving in TJ, I found that there was only one bus going to SR and it left in dos horas (two hours). So missing the Greyhound didn't really mess me up a whole lot. Things were pretty much the way I had left them here in Santa Rosalia except there were a lot more boats in the marina and a lot more bird shit on Si Bon.
I wondered on the way down if I would still feel the same about living in a foreign country. Within hours of being back I had two things happen to me...two little things, that reinforced my feeling toward the mexican people. I also decided on the way down that I would limit my gringo bashing, but never the less I couldn't help but think, why can't us americans be a little nicer to each other, we live in such a beautiful country and yet we treat each other like the stuff the birds left on Si Bon's deck. Maybe someone will read this and do something nice for someone else, like help them when their arms are full, or hold a door open for them ...or something.
My current plan calls for me to leave SR sometime in the next week. I wasted no time yesterday and began provisioning right away. I'll also be servicing the iron sail and of course fixing the gimpy windless with the part I picked up in San Diego.
Well gotta run....there is a dirty deck which is in need of a good washing.

Things I'll miss.
06/13/2011, San Diego, Ca.

Things are wrapping up here in the good old US of A. I've pretty much taken care of all but about 2-3 things, and I'm getting ready to head out in the rental car to finish those up. Current plan calls for me to leave tomorrow morning and catch a Greyhound Bus to Tijuana Centro bus terminal and catch another bus down Baja to Santa Rosalia, which is where Si Bon is awaiting my return. I have not been able to find the schdual for the buses going down Baja, so I really don't know when I will be back in SR. I'm pretty sure they run several times per day....but not 100% sure. Let's hope for the best.
There's a few things I'll miss about the US...and a few things I won't. The things I'll miss are my friends and family (duh), I'll miss the cleanliness of the US (why can't the mexicans learn to throw away their trash?). As much as I love the challange of speaking spanish, it was nice to not have to deal with the language barrier for a couple of weeks. I won't miss the traffic (pic) of SoCal, although in all fairness this is in LA. I also won't miss the fact the my fellow americans for some reason don't look each other in the eye. They don't say hello to each other and when passing one another, they seem content to pretend that the other person isn't really there. I guess the bottom line is that every place has its pro's and con's.
Ohhh...and I'm sure my negitive comment won't go over well....but just try walking through the mall and making eye contact with someone you don't know, then try saying "Hola"..opps I mean "hello"........ just saying!

06/13/2011 | Phil Anderson
Yeah, Steve.....what is it about people not making eye contact.....I noticed that when we moved to the bay area from Tahoe 26 years ago.....looking forwaed to more Mexblogs.And congratulations to the college grad!! Phil
06/13/2011 | Brian Brown
It was good to see you last Sat. at Paul and Kim's. You've got alot to be proud of in your two girls. Have a safe trip south and keep us all up to date. Brian
06/13/2011 | Steve Cook
That's what I'm talking about Phil...I have to say it was better in New England...but still not up to Mexican standards.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs