S/V Si Bon

Who: Steve Cook
Port: San Diego, California
21 May 2013 | San Diego
05 May 2013 | San Diego
19 April 2013 | Sun Harbor Marina, San Diego, Ca. USA
17 April 2013 | Ensenada to San Diego
08 April 2013 | San Diego (by land)
06 April 2013 | San Diego (by land)
03 April 2013 | Marina Coral, Ensenada, Baja California
29 March 2013 | Ensenada
25 March 2013 | Bahia Tortuga, Baja California
21 March 2013 | Punta Abreojos
12 March 2013 | San Jose Cabo
10 March 2013 | San Jose Cabo
06 March 2013 | Nuevo Vallarta
28 February 2013 | Paradise Village, Nuevo Vallarta mexico
26 January 2013 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
04 January 2013 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
23 December 2012 | Barra de Navidad
19 December 2012 | success and failure
17 December 2012 | Ixtapa to Manzanillo

Plans they are a changing

17 December 2012 | Ixtapa to Manzanillo
Steve
We left Marina Ixtapa on Thursday the 13th, destination Barra de Navidad, a distance of about 207 NM . Our original plan was to sail out to a small island off the coast, anchor overnight and leave at around 4:00 in the morning for a 70 NM sail to an anchorage called Caleta de Campos. We would spend the night there before making the 133 NM overnight trip up to Barra. Although the first anchorage got pretty rolly during the night, we pretty much stuck to the plan leaving about 3:30 AM and making our way thru shipping lanes and around turtles mostly motoring due to lack of wind. Sometime during the afternoon I was able to get out the sails and in very light wind kept begging for just a little more wind....be careful what you ask for. About an hour out of Caleta de Campos the wind came up....with a fury, we pulled into the unprotected anchorage, looked at each other and said "let's go"...and we did. I've learned that in order to avoid the long lines put out by the Mexican fishermen it is best to travel 10-12 miles out, so we put out our sails and headed off shore into the proverbial sunset. The wind continued to build through the night, once off shore we turned north and had to motor sail through the night as the strong wind was right on our nose. The 15-20 knot winds created a large, steep swell/chop which was also on our nose. Si Bon smashed her way through the rough seas and as the sun rose the wind died off. I knew when we decided not to stop in Caleta de Campos that we were not going to be making Barra de Navidad before dark, so I decided to go for Manzanillo, knowing that even that was going to be tight...VERY tight. We entered the large bay of Manzanillo as the sun was setting, we were greeted by two or three whales who put on a spectacular show for us (pic). We wove our way through 8-9 large container/oil ships and as night fell dropped the hook in the Las Hadas anchorage. The total trip from Ixtapa was 39 hours and 186 NM. Although we were able to motor sail a fair amount, we were only able to fully sail for 3.5 hours...a disappointing number. We saw tons of marine life and dodged tons of commercial traffic, and we arrived safely...which is all that really matters.
It is often said that a cruisers plans are written in sand at low tide. You probably noticed that I am heading north away from Panama and towards San Diego, which is where I am planning on returning to this spring (unless the plan changes). On another note of change, Dawn and I have decided that we will be going our separate ways, and she has now left the boat, I wish her well.
Yes, plans do definitely change while cruising.
Comments
Vessel Name: Si Bon
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411
Hailing Port: San Diego, California
Crew: Steve Cook
About:
This is the plan.....In late 2009 after going on a wonderful charter to Turkey and Greece and seeing and living the cruiser lifestyle I decided to move into the next phase of my life. [...]
Extra: I am currently in Banderas Bay (Puerto Vallarta area), where I will be spending the 2012 hurricane season at the beautiful Paradise Village Marina.

Who: Steve Cook
Port: San Diego, California