S/V Si Bon

Who: Steve Cook
Port: San Diego, California
21 May 2013 | San Diego
05 May 2013 | San Diego
19 April 2013 | Sun Harbor Marina, San Diego, Ca. USA
17 April 2013 | Ensenada to San Diego
08 April 2013 | San Diego (by land)
06 April 2013 | San Diego (by land)
03 April 2013 | Marina Coral, Ensenada, Baja California
29 March 2013 | Ensenada
25 March 2013 | Bahia Tortuga, Baja California
21 March 2013 | Punta Abreojos
12 March 2013 | San Jose Cabo
10 March 2013 | San Jose Cabo
06 March 2013 | Nuevo Vallarta
28 February 2013 | Paradise Village, Nuevo Vallarta mexico
26 January 2013 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
04 January 2013 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
23 December 2012 | Barra de Navidad
19 December 2012 | success and failure
17 December 2012 | Ixtapa to Manzanillo

The crossing

10 March 2013 | San Jose Cabo
Steve
As planned we left Nuevo Vallarta on Wednesday afternoon. After fueling up at La Cruz we sailed out of Banderas Bay with whales and dolphins all around us. Yes, I said "SAILED". One of the reasons that I wanted to leave Banderas Bay (BB) in the afternoon, without an overnight anchor stop in Punta de Mita, was that by leaving BB in the afternoon we should be able to arrive in Cabo very early in the morning, as opposed to leaving BB in the morning and arriving in Cabo very late in the afternnoon. There were several reasons for this decision; first of all there was a fairly strong northern coming down the Sea of Cortez on Saturday, second of all, it would give us time to fix any kind of problem, should one arise and still get into Cabo during daylight, and last of all, We could sail some of the trip even if the wind wasn't strong enough or in the right direction. This tactic worked out well, as I said we sailed out of BB, tacking back and forth out of the large bay, I even had time to catch a fish as we left. Although the winds were very light we were able to sail for several hours each day on an almost mirror flat sea, and luckily we did not have to work on any problems. There are not to many times on a sailboat that you have to actually slow down...however the last night we chugged along at low RPM's trying to waste time for an daylight entrance into the VERY tricky Puerto Los Cabos Marina. As we came into the breakwater at sunrise the northern wind started kicking up and I felt pretty damn proud of my trip planning abilities.
The only bad part of the trip was that both Stan and Judy got seasick along the way. Although Stan recovered fairly quickly, Judy did not, she unfortunately became violently sick, even though we were in extremely calm conditions. I'm not sure if Judy would have wanted to continue up Baja or not but yesterday I made the decision that it would not be a wise decision for her to go up the isolated and rough coast of Baja. Although I did give Stan the option of continuing without Judy, he elected to leave with her.
So once again I'm looking for any one who wants to share in the adventure for the return trip up Baja. More on that later.
Comments
Vessel Name: Si Bon
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411
Hailing Port: San Diego, California
Crew: Steve Cook
About:
This is the plan.....In late 2009 after going on a wonderful charter to Turkey and Greece and seeing and living the cruiser lifestyle I decided to move into the next phase of my life. [...]
Extra: I am currently in Banderas Bay (Puerto Vallarta area), where I will be spending the 2012 hurricane season at the beautiful Paradise Village Marina.

Who: Steve Cook
Port: San Diego, California