Bookmark and Share

S/V Si Bon
Who: Steve Cook
Port: San Diego, California
View Complete Profile »

something is heating up
10/29/2010, Two Harbors, Catalina

As we were motoring into Two Harbors, Catalina I heard a funny squealing noise coming from the cabin of Jennifer K, I asked Mark "what is that" Mark said "I don't hear anything (OK so we are both a little hard of hearing but at least I admit it), I scrambled down the companion way into the cabin I immediately noticed smoke pouring out of the engine compartment, I yelled at Mark "there's smoke down here" the next 5 minutes were full of action as we both were running around trying to figure out what was causing the problem, Mark ran to the bow and dropped the hook in about 50 feet of water, we turned off the engine, which was at 230 degrees, normal is around 180, and decided that the engine was to hot to work on at the moment so we might as well eat lunch (just like men). We've been messing around with the engine for awhile now and Mark (who use to own a diesel repair business) has eliminated a few things, but we still don't know the root of the problem, but we do know that we have a lot of hot water and that we were able to get Jennifer K's engine it looks like we'll be sailing back to San Diego as much as we it happy hour yet???

10/30/2010 | Vicki
It's 5:00 somewhere :)
10/30/2010 | Steve Cook
You are sooo right Vicki...but it was 4:00 somewhere that day LOL.
10/31/2010 | amber
You forgot to mention that you didnt send out your spot and your daughters and poor uncle thought you were lost at sea....
Sunny and hot
10/28/2010, San Diego to Avalon

WOW... what an amazing 29 hour journey. We left Coronado Cays Yacht Club at 0930 and dropped anchor at San Clemente Island at 0230 this morning about 300 feet off of a little beach at the bottom of a 2000 foot cliff (see picture). We saw two sunfish along the way, have you ever seen one? I never had until yesterday...they are a white circular fish about 3 feet in diameter, they lay flat on the surface and when we past them just a few feet away neither one made any attempt to move, although the one we past a few hours ago did raise one of his dorsal fins and wave at us us we went by. We saw a ton of military activity including a large super fast warship that put out a wake that had 8 foot breaking waves that reached about 1/2 a mile behind her. We also saw smoke on the water that we think was dropped by a couple of choppers that were practicing touch and go landings on another warship. The skys have been cloudless and last night the stars were unbelievable, the milky way spread across the sky and Mark and I were kept busy trying to figure out all the different stars. The ocean last night was oily glassy and with a nearly full moon and super clear visibility we had no problem watching all the other traffic in our area. As we crossed over to Catalina today I pondered how lucky I am to be able to be involved in this great creation.....the earth.

10/28/2010 | mike
I enjoyed reading your blog, sounds like some great adventures.

I would like to extend an invitation to join The mission of galleyswap is to get a group of sailors together that enjoy sharing recipes and galley tips. Membership is absolutely free and if you do decide to join the galleyswap community please post some recipes.

Blog friends and Catalina
10/26/2010, planet earth

Last night I met Rich Boren from S/V Third Day, the Boren Family, Rich, Lori, Jason and Amy have been inspirational to me as I have been following their blog for the past 8-9 months. The Boren's have been cruising Mexico for the past two years and the information I have been able to gather from them has been invaluable. I look forward to meeting them in foreign waters some day soon.
Tomorrow I will be leaving for a sailing/diving trip to Catalina with my friend Mark Burrows on his boat S/V Jennifer K. Mark is a hard core sailor and wants to try and sail all the way there, you need to know that our prevailing winds here in Southern Cal are right on your nose going to Catalina making a direct path impossible, most of the time we motor sail most/all of the way there. The plan is we will sail to San Clemente Island, anchor overnight and then sail to Catalina this will keep us on a good point of sail(maybe). San Clemente is an island used by the U.S. Navy as a target range (nice) they have a website that tells you what part of the island they'll be bombing that day and where you are allowed to anchor. Tomorrow there is one little tiny place where we will be able to it looks like most of the island will be used for target practice that night. Lets hope those smart bombs are all working properly, if not we'll just hail them on 16.

Why am I doing this?
10/25/2010, Sun Harbor Marina

When I tell friends that I'm moving onto a mooring ball the normal response is "why are you doing that", they think I'm in financial ruins (I'm not), they think I am unable to conform to the Marina rules (I am), or they think I'm out of my mind (I'm not sure). I've often said since planning my cruising, that if you can't live on a mooring ball in San Diego Bay, then you might want to rethink your cruising plans. Living on the ball is a lot different that living at the slip, you must get the dinghy routine down and plan each trip off the boat, what to take with you (trash,laundry,computer, extra clothes) and what to bring back to the boat (groceries, clean clothes, fresh water). I also now need to monitor things like water and electrical usage, holding tank capacity and I'm sure they'll be many other things I'll learn. While cruising the more time you spend on the hook (anchor) the longer your cruising kitty will last...just ask S/V Third Day who has their cruising budget down to $1,000.00 per month for A FAMILY OF FOUR. That said, I also plan, while cruising, to get the occasional guest slip just as I will get one occasionally while here. So time will tell on how the ball works out...stay tuned.

10/25/2010 | brian b.
Makes sense to me. Seems as though you have given everything alot of thought and are doing everything right. Enjoy your updates, best of luck.
Anchorage A4 bouy D04
10/24/2010, Coronado mooring anchorage

Here is my new home (for awhile) taken from the bridge. Si Bon is not in this picture because we had just taken her back to her slip. I am glad I was able to spend 5 days on the ball before going there full time after I return from Catalina. I now have a good idea of the lay of the land, stores, gym, showers, and of course the local happy hour deals. The past 5 days have also given me a chance to do some final tweaking of some of Si Bon's systems, my water usage was about what I expected, I returned with enough water to go at least another 5 days without making water or filling up my fresh water tanks, my electrical use was amazing in that it was never real sunny and several days had no sun at all and I still haven't plugged into shore is incredible...Why doesn't everyone have solar on their houses???

U.S. Navy
10/23/2010, San Diego

I decided to put Si Bon back in the slip while I go to Catalina next week on S/V Jennifer K. I decided that yesterday would be a good time to go back due to the fact that Amber and Jeff could give me a ride back to my car in Coronado. As we headed up the bay with Amber at the helm (steering wheel) I noticed a very large warship also headed up the bay on her way out to sea. I instructed Amber to steer around a large tug boat and out of the main channel in order to stay clear of the warship bearing down on us. Amber did a excellent job of maintaining her course while staying out of the warships path. All of a sudden a Naval Security boat that guards the warships in and out of the harbor came racing up behind us and the young skipper was yelling something at us, due to not being able to hear very well and the engine noise I picked up my VHF radio and tried hailing the security boat...with no response back?? He fell back a little and then came back at us yelling again, I yelled back " why don't you hail me on 16 (emergency VHF channel), to which he responded...and I swear I'm not making this up "our radio doesn't work, but I wanted to let you know you're OK on your current course" duh... thanks for the important update dude. Now I ask you how the hell does a guy with no radio expect to guard a warship...does he yell 200 feet up to the skipper of the warship to warn him of pending danger? What if he has an emergency??? does he just start yelling for help. Note to the U.S. Navy, they have these things called hand held VHF radios which are great to have in case of equipment failure....I have one on Si Bon that you can use until you get yours fixed. God bless all of the men and women serving our country.

10/24/2010 | timmie
Somehow I am finding great humor in this very sad situation! Thanks for posting this, I feel so safe in our waters.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs