|Photo Gallery »|
|Send Email »|
[ Contents ]
Fun in the sunSteve/sunny
11/27/2010, Dana Point
I LOVE DANA POINT. OK I know I've only been here one day....but this place is sooo cool. Yesterday I started exploring Dana Point, I putted around the beautiful marina in the dinghy, figuring out where the public dinghy docks are, where the restaurants/bars were and checking out all of the mega yachts. The weather yesterday was almost perfect and in the afternoon there were people of all ages gliding past me on paddle boards, kayaks and of course all sorts of boats. Not being one to miss out on any kind of fun, I inflated my own kayak and joined the crowd paddling around this wonderful little cove. I ended the day guess where.....of course happy hour silly, I met two very nice ladies and we talked (and drank) into the night.
Point breakSteve/cold but sunny
11/26/2010, Dana Point
I decided to blow off (no pun intended) Oceanside and come directly to Dana Point yesterday. I left Mission Bay at 0630 and was on the hook (anchor) in Dana Point at 1530, I did not see one other boat on the way here...not one, which is VERY unusual for So Cal. Dana Point was built in the early 1970's by taking one of So Cal's few point breaks and building a one mile long breakwater out from the end of the point, thereby destroying this fine right point break. You must know that in the 70's I was a DIE HARD surfer...and I mean DIE HARD, so the fact that " The Establishment" ruined this perfect wave did not sit well with me, I am currently anchored where perfect rights peeled off of the point.
11/24/2010, Mission Bay
Congratulations to NOAA, after two days of wrong forecasts they finally got it right, the wind started coming up right after I posted yesterdays blog, it continued to build as the sun went down. My friend Bill Hughes had a surprise 50th birthday party last night, which conveniently was at a rented party house here in Mission Beach, as we stood around the keg and tasted the great food the wind continued to build and I made the decision to cut out early and head back to Si Bon. Throughout the night the wind howled through the rigging and I could feel the boat being blown around....but the anchor held fast and even though I was like a jack-in-the-box, popping my head out every hour or so...we didn't move an inch.
11/23/2010, Mission Beach
I finally made it to Mission Bay...after listening to weather report after weather report with misleading (wrong) information, I finally decided to cast off and take my chances with the predicted 25 knot gusts tonight. Mission Bay is a great anchorage that takes about 10 minutes to get to from Sun Harbor Marina by car.....I made very good time today and it took me 3.5 hours of motor sailing (mostly motor). BUT REMEMBER "sailing is about the journey, not the destination". So far I haven't seen any 25 knot gusts...in fact there was almost no wind on the way here...it got me to thinking....I wonder if NOAA knows that there is a decimal point in 2.5 knots???
11/22/2010, Off Point Loma
I decided to stay put at Sun Harbor Marina due to the weather forecast (guess) from NOAA (we pronounce it as noah). Yes, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, (aren't you glad we mariners shortened it to NOAA), was originally calling for winds of 20-25 knots with 30 gusts for Sunday. My friend Rich came down on Saturday night to have dinner and a few brewskis at Jimmy's and spend the night, Sunday morning the guessers had changed their guess to 10-15 knots with 20 gusts. The new forecast sounded like it would be a great time for us to go out for a day sail and try out my new Yankee sail.
Decisions, decisions mmmmSteve, wind and rain
11/20/2010, Sun Harbor Marina
I decided to pop into Sun Harbor for a couple of nights on my way north, this gave me an opportunity to give Si Bon a very nice bath, it also allows me to be able to provision a little easier as I don't have to ferry things in the dinghy and I'm also about 45 minutes closer to Mission Bay. The bad news is that the weather guessers have now issued a small craft advisory (not that Si Bon is a small craft), so I need to make a decision soon on when to leave. I now have Russ and Rich ready to go on Sunday (tomorrow) and if I put it off until Monday I may be single handing. I have a new "heavy weather" sail called a yankee sail that I haven't been able to use yet... 25 knot with 30 gusts would give me a good chance to hoist the yankee and find out how it works, I really don't want to use the yankee for the first time if I'm single handing.....decisions, decisions. Think I'll go have breakfast with Amber and decided later.
|Powered by SailBlogs|