S/V Si Bon

Who: Steve Cook
Port: San Diego, California
21 May 2013 | San Diego
05 May 2013 | San Diego
19 April 2013 | Sun Harbor Marina, San Diego, Ca. USA
17 April 2013 | Ensenada to San Diego
08 April 2013 | San Diego (by land)
06 April 2013 | San Diego (by land)
03 April 2013 | Marina Coral, Ensenada, Baja California
29 March 2013 | Ensenada
25 March 2013 | Bahia Tortuga, Baja California
21 March 2013 | Punta Abreojos
12 March 2013 | San Jose Cabo
10 March 2013 | San Jose Cabo
06 March 2013 | Nuevo Vallarta
28 February 2013 | Paradise Village, Nuevo Vallarta mexico
26 January 2013 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
04 January 2013 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
23 December 2012 | Barra de Navidad
19 December 2012 | success and failure
17 December 2012 | Ixtapa to Manzanillo

One year later

16 December 2010 | Coronado
Steve
It was one year ago today that I drove up to San Pedro and closed the deal on Si Bon, I spent my first of many nights on her before driving back to San Diego the next day. I have learned sooo much in the past year, both about Si Bon and her systems and about myself, I couldn't even begin to put it all in a blog. My original goal of leaving for my cruise in late 2010 or early 2011 is right on track as I am now planning a March departure. My friend Ric told me while I was planning my cruising that "you don't need to leave California to have a good time" Ric was so right, I've done four Catalina trips (one on Jennifer K), I've spent almost two weeks harbor hopping up So Cal and I've done so many Mission Bay trips that I've lost count of them, throw in all of the day sails and it adds up to a lot of sea time. Every trip has been packed with fun and adventure and I always think back to Ric's words.
There has also been much help from God, both in keeping me and my crew safe and in teaching me somethings, there was the time I took out all of my anchor chain/rode at the dock to inspect it and see how the chain/rode was marked, I went to put the chain back into the anchor locker and my windless (that's the winch that raises and lowers the anchor) stopped working leaving me with 200 feet of 3/8 chain and 200 feet of rode (rope) laying on the dock, someone walked by and said "that sucks" I looked to the sky and said "thank you Lord". You see 400 feet of anchor rode laying on the dock is a hell of a lot better than 400 feet of anchor chain stretching down to the ocean floor and a 40 knot wind blowing. There are not very many times in a sailor's life that you would have your anchor chain out at a dock...thanks again Lord. There was also the time a thru-hull broke, effectively leaving a 1 inch hole below the water line with water pouring into Si Bon, luckily a well respected Marine repairman was onboard at the time and we went about plugging the hole, replacing the thru hole (in the water) and hooking everything back up...all in a very controlled non panicky manner....thanks again. There have been many other little "God things" that I find myself saying thanks a lot.
Over the past year I feel that I've accomplished pretty much everything I set out to, I now live on my boat in San Diego Bay (not at a slip), I feel comfortable single handing my boat, I understand most of the many systems on Si Bon, I've met so many new friends, I've learned to SCUBA dive and all the time i really do feel that I am "living the life".
This pic is of two of the three large hovercrafts inbound to Camp Pendleton taken on my way back from Dana Point.
Comments
Vessel Name: Si Bon
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411
Hailing Port: San Diego, California
Crew: Steve Cook
About:
This is the plan.....In late 2009 after going on a wonderful charter to Turkey and Greece and seeing and living the cruiser lifestyle I decided to move into the next phase of my life. [...]
Extra: I am currently in Banderas Bay (Puerto Vallarta area), where I will be spending the 2012 hurricane season at the beautiful Paradise Village Marina.

Who: Steve Cook
Port: San Diego, California