S/V Si Bon

Who: Steve Cook
Port: San Diego, California
21 May 2013 | San Diego
05 May 2013 | San Diego
19 April 2013 | Sun Harbor Marina, San Diego, Ca. USA
17 April 2013 | Ensenada to San Diego
08 April 2013 | San Diego (by land)
06 April 2013 | San Diego (by land)
03 April 2013 | Marina Coral, Ensenada, Baja California
29 March 2013 | Ensenada
25 March 2013 | Bahia Tortuga, Baja California
21 March 2013 | Punta Abreojos
12 March 2013 | San Jose Cabo
10 March 2013 | San Jose Cabo
06 March 2013 | Nuevo Vallarta
28 February 2013 | Paradise Village, Nuevo Vallarta mexico
26 January 2013 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
04 January 2013 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
23 December 2012 | Barra de Navidad
19 December 2012 | success and failure
17 December 2012 | Ixtapa to Manzanillo

Portland, Maine

26 August 2011 | Portland, Maine
Steve
We just got back from a three day trip to Portland Maine. Portland was not very high on my list of must see cities, however Sharon went to college and lived in Portland for several years and has a lot of friends there, so it soon became a must see place for me. Portland is a very old seaport with much history from the early days of America. Most of the town surrounds a beautiful wind swept bay and harbor and many of the original old buildings have been rehabbed and turned into shops, galleries, bars and LOTS of restaurants. There is very funky, trendy..almost hippie feel to most of the downtown area. Portland was described in one book I read as having " the soul of an artist, the grit of a lobsterman and the hands of a craftsman", I would say that is a pretty accurate description. Portland reminds me of a combination between San Francisco and Ocean Beach (in San Diego).
Although we went to a lot of local, non-tourist areas we did decide one day to take an amphibious bus tour called The Downeast Duck (pic). Two of Sharon's friends, Delaine and Karen, agreed to tag along for a tour of their city. The Downeast Duck turned out to be one of the lamest tours I've ever done. Upon departing for the tour the guild informed us that at certain times during the tour we would be quacking like ducks...he then has us all practice quacking and when we didn't quack loud enough for him he would make us quack again. As we drove thru the beautiful narrow streets of the Old Port section of town, lame-o would constantly yell out over the PA "hey lets give a big quack...quack quack". Everytime we pasted someone he knew he would yell at them and say "quack quack". Delaine and Karen were trying very hard to sink low enough in their seats so no one they knew would see them quacking thru town.
Last night we went to what can only be described as a hole in the wall for a Maine lobster dinner. The restaurant called The Porthole, was located on a working wharf, it is definitely off the tourist routes and it was most likely one of the best places in Portland to enjoy Maine Lobster.
We'll be in Brattleboro for a few days riding out Irene before we leave next week for Boston. Please say a prayer for the people in the path of Irene.
Comments
Vessel Name: Si Bon
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411
Hailing Port: San Diego, California
Crew: Steve Cook
About:
This is the plan.....In late 2009 after going on a wonderful charter to Turkey and Greece and seeing and living the cruiser lifestyle I decided to move into the next phase of my life. [...]
Extra: I am currently in Banderas Bay (Puerto Vallarta area), where I will be spending the 2012 hurricane season at the beautiful Paradise Village Marina.

Who: Steve Cook
Port: San Diego, California