S/V Si Bon

Who: Steve Cook
Port: San Diego, California
21 May 2013 | San Diego
05 May 2013 | San Diego
19 April 2013 | Sun Harbor Marina, San Diego, Ca. USA
17 April 2013 | Ensenada to San Diego
08 April 2013 | San Diego (by land)
06 April 2013 | San Diego (by land)
03 April 2013 | Marina Coral, Ensenada, Baja California
29 March 2013 | Ensenada
25 March 2013 | Bahia Tortuga, Baja California
21 March 2013 | Punta Abreojos
12 March 2013 | San Jose Cabo
10 March 2013 | San Jose Cabo
06 March 2013 | Nuevo Vallarta
28 February 2013 | Paradise Village, Nuevo Vallarta mexico
26 January 2013 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
04 January 2013 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
23 December 2012 | Barra de Navidad
19 December 2012 | success and failure
17 December 2012 | Ixtapa to Manzanillo

First year of cruising

03 March 2012 | Mexico
Steve
One year ago yesterday I departed for my "adventure of a lifetime". Peter, Catherine and myself left San Diego at 0200 on March 2, 2011 and set sail down the 720 NM inhospitable coast of Baja California. We spent a month in La Paz, where we had several visitors...and I quickly learned that 5 people sleeping on Si Bon is WAY to crowded. We now encourage our guests to get a hotel close by, that way we can all enjoy their visits without driving each other nuts. In the past year I've learned and accomplished so much I couldn't possibly put it all in a blog. I've met a wonderful First Mate, Sharon, establishing not only a beautiful relationship, but also creating a great cruising team. I've seen whale sharks, manta rays, whales and birds of all types, and many other forms of unknown marine life. We've anchored in quiet coves and busy anchorages. We've docked in small quaint marinas and in mega resorts. We've seen many amazing sunsets and countless green flashes. I have taken the autobus up and down both Baja and the Mainland several times and Sharon and I have become very proficient at riding the local buses for just about all of our daily errands. Everywhere we've been we've experienced the warmth of the Mexican people.

One unexpected adventure this year was my visit by land to my aunt and uncle's house in Maryland and then on to Sharon and Kathy's in Vermont. I spent most of August exploring the Northeastern United States, which was on my list of places I wanted to see more of.

I've met so many people and made so many new friends over the past year that it is mind-boggling. As I write this many of their names and faces are racing through my head and bring a smile to my face. Although there are always challenges to overcome and things to either fix or make do without....there are still no horror stories to tell. To anyone thinking about cruising I would say prepare, but don't over prepare. You don't need every new gadget in order to untie the dock lines...this isn't really that difficult.

We'll be leaving Banderas Bay in the next few days and continuing south to Manzanillo, a distance of about 150 NM. We will then be returning to Banderas Bay in May for the summer Hurricane season. I would like to thank our families and friends for all of their thoughts, prayers and support over the past year. We're both excited to see what the next year has in store for us.
God bless!
Comments
Vessel Name: Si Bon
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411
Hailing Port: San Diego, California
Crew: Steve Cook
About:
This is the plan.....In late 2009 after going on a wonderful charter to Turkey and Greece and seeing and living the cruiser lifestyle I decided to move into the next phase of my life. [...]
Extra: I am currently in Banderas Bay (Puerto Vallarta area), where I will be spending the 2012 hurricane season at the beautiful Paradise Village Marina.

Who: Steve Cook
Port: San Diego, California