The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III

...a virtual ship's logbook, and some thoughtful (unabashed?) reflections on our sea-going experiences.

04 November 2017 | Somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean
18 October 2017 | Le Marin, Martinique in the French West Indies
25 January 2017 | Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | St Pierre, Martinique
06 January 2017
01 January 2017 | Fort Du France, Martinique
28 December 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlet, Martinique
24 December 2016
14 November 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
06 October 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
04 October 2016
20 July 2016 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
15 June 2016
15 June 2016
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
09 May 2016 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe

A Couple of Hikes and a little Halloween Cricket

05 November 2012 | Mt Hartman Bay, Grenada
Lynn
While we are slowly transforming 'Silverheels III' from a barge to a sailboat again, we are still finding time to have some fun. After all, no need to miss the fun stuff just because we are planning on moving on soon.

A couple of weeks ago, we had a weekend without a hash. Okay, not the end of the world for some of us, but it did take away from the regular exercise "fix" some of us around here have become used to. That was simple, I phoned Fletch, my favourite trail guide and set up a hike to the upper falls at Annandale. Throw in transportation and a chance to get some food at the end and it makes for a pretty good day!

We arrived at the entrance to the touristy Annandale Falls and started walking into the Nature Preserve. The Preserve (one of a number in Grenada) is designed to protect the watershed that provides the municipal water to the island. No chemicals, no farm animals (in theory, anyway) and acres of land protected by the Department of Forestry. We walked past experimental plots of various trees and plants to find what might work well in Grenada for either cash crops, lumber, or other reasons. Fletch was a fount of knowledge since he had worked with the Department for many years, and described the various trees and plants, as well as their uses. Even the bush medicine uses were discussed (the baccano tree was especially popular since it is supposed to help with weight loss). We came to the point where the groups split off, the easier group and the harder group. the harder group set off for the water falls. The path was actually not that difficult, and signs of Fletch having cleared some of the trail the day before were quite noticeable. We finally arrived at the waterfalls, and had a chance to cool off under the rather cold spray, and to refill water bottles as one saw fit (the water was fantastic). On the way back down the trail we came upon the other group going up to the falls - they wanted to see them, too. No to be outdone, we followed the "easier" trail that they had followed, so everybody ended up seeing the same things. We got back to the area close to the touristy falls and enjoyed cold drinks and oildown. It was a very pleasant day.

On Halloween, there was a plethora of options for cruisers to enjoy. There were a number of costume parties, a Halloween Hash, and even a cricket game that rewarded people who played n costume. I chose to play cricket, then we would stick around for the weekly Burger Night. My costume was "Night of the Living Dread" - I had a little hat with "dreads" attached, and did my face up in a zombie motif. The stage blood oozing out of my mouth at times was quite effective (the kids were fascinated and wanted to touch it). This cricket game was my debut as a team captain, and we actually won! The other team skipper has been playing cricket for most of his life, so I felt pretty good about that.

This past weekend also had no opportunity for hashing, so a hike up in the rainforest in Grand Etang with Fletch was planned. In a nutshell, WOW. The air plants (orchids amongst others) were incredible, and the different mosses and other plants on the trees were beautiful. Some of the views were fantastic, eliciting a comment from one person that he regretted not bringing his camera (I second that, and am grateful for those who post albums on Facebook!). We enjoyed barbecued chicken and cold drinks by the crater lake, then crammed back into the bus (a combination of poor communication, assumption and oversight made for an uncharacteristically cramped bus ride for part of the trip).

So we aren't just thumb twiddling and navel gazing, in between boat jobs, we do get out and about a bit.
Comments
Vessel Name: Silverheels III
Vessel Make/Model: Hinterhoeller, Niagara 35 Mk1 (1979)
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lynn Kaak and Ken Goodings
About: After five summers and winters living on our boat in Toronto Harbour, we've exchanged those cold Canadian winters for Caribbean sunshine. "Nowadays, we have ice in our drinks, not under the boat."
Extra:
Silverheels III's Photos - Silverheels III (Main)
Photos 1 to 14 of 14
1
Looking for the next bouy enroute
Our whole life in 35 feet
Our peaceful lagoon in summer
Toronto skyline from Algonquin Island
QCYC Marine Railway: Lynn "workin
Lynn carefully heat-shrinks our winter cover with a propane torch
Jes loafin
Ken on deck
Island Christmas Party December 2007
Silverheels III at anchor, Humber Bay West
Niagara 35 Mk1
 
1
General pics of hikes in Grenada
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
Some pictures of our time in Grenada
9 Photos
Created 15 September 2010