The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III

...a virtual ship's logbook, and some thoughtful (unabashed?) reflections on our sea-going experiences.

04 November 2017 | Somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean
18 October 2017 | Le Marin, Martinique in the French West Indies
25 January 2017 | Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | St Pierre, Martinique
06 January 2017
01 January 2017 | Fort Du France, Martinique
28 December 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlet, Martinique
24 December 2016
14 November 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
06 October 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
04 October 2016
20 July 2016 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
15 June 2016
15 June 2016
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
09 May 2016 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe

the Wild West of the Eastern Caribbean

16 February 2014 | Simpson Lagoon, St. Martin
Lynn
It has been 4 years since we have been to St. Martin. After 11 weeks here during our first visit (waiting for Ken’s new passport, getting the bottom done, having the clutch plates in our transmission replaced…) we had had enough of the island and weren’t in a rush to come back. However, it is an excellent place to get things done, and being a duty free port, it is a good place to get things shipped and pick them up.
With the large protected lagoon, and the plethora of boating services, this is also a place where a number of boat people end up and hang a shingle. We don’t know what the legal implications of this are in St. Martin, but it makes the morning net interesting. There are self-proclaimed shipwrights, canvas experts, mechanics, electrical experts, riggers and other skill sets all offering their expertise to the battered cruising boats. We were tempted to go to the self-proclaimed rigger, but we have chosen to go with an established rigging company instead – if something happens, they have their own insurance, and if something happens with their work, we can go back to them to get it sorted out. Who knows where a mobile cruiser may be when you need to discuss possible complications? Besides, you really only have their word on their abilities, whereas a business that has been around for a while has pretty much proven themselves , or they would have been out of business by now.
The Dutch side of St. Martin has a bit of a Wild West feel to it, at least to some of us. It seems like pretty much everything goes, and there is a somewhat seedy feel to the place on the roads. The residential area in Pelican Bay has more fences, walls and gates than Sing Sing, making it very clear that the residents want to keep unwanteds out and their stuff in. The main strip by the Dutch bridge has strip bars, party places, and even a liquor and tobacco mega-store (to take advantage of the duty-free status of course) by the name of something like “Booze It Up”. There are a couple of casinos around, and a plethora of restaurants in case you get hungry between the other possible activities. Happy Hour is a given here, with 2-for-1 drinks, $1.00 beers, cheap appetizers; just look for the deal that appeals most to you.
Whatever you care to do, you can pretty much find it here. Beaches (although the ones close to Simpson Bay have questionable water quality, or did 4 years ago), bars, or combine the two with jet blast. Maho Bay is at the approach to the airport runway, and you can hang out on the beach and get sandblasted when the planes take off. Hang on to the fence and feel the full force of it, or stand about 20 feet over and observe the action. Of course, you could sit in the bar, sipping a drink, and watch the spectacle in comfort.
In the hope of decreasing traffic congestion, especially to and from the airport, the powers that be figured that a Causeway Bridge would be perfect. It divides the Lagoon, and opens to allow boats to pass through just before or after the bridge opening into (or out of) the Lagoon. This bridge is approximately a month old. In the 5 days we have been here, it was closed to traffic for part of one day (it couldn’t close completely and left a 9 inch gap in the roadbed) and was closed to boat traffic for two days. But at least it has really funky LED lights (Toronto people, think CN Tower type). If it can’t be functional, it can at least be decorative… although one of the lanes of traffic was closed to traffic for about three hours to fix a strip of lights – which still isn’t working. Really, the causeway has turned into an expensive treadmill, as it has become a popular place to run or walk.
In the meantime, we are in line for getting a rigger to look at our stays, and the dinghy stuff should be rectified very soon. We may have even found a good deal on a new Autopilot. A visit to the Wild West is not necessarily a bad thing, it just isn’t a place we would voluntarily want to spend a long time.
Comments
Vessel Name: Silverheels III
Vessel Make/Model: Hinterhoeller, Niagara 35 Mk1 (1979)
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lynn Kaak and Ken Goodings
About: After five summers and winters living on our boat in Toronto Harbour, we've exchanged those cold Canadian winters for Caribbean sunshine. "Nowadays, we have ice in our drinks, not under the boat."
Extra:
Silverheels III's Photos - Silverheels III (Main)
Photos 1 to 14 of 14
1
Looking for the next bouy enroute
Our whole life in 35 feet
Our peaceful lagoon in summer
Toronto skyline from Algonquin Island
QCYC Marine Railway: Lynn "workin
Lynn carefully heat-shrinks our winter cover with a propane torch
Jes loafin
Ken on deck
Island Christmas Party December 2007
Silverheels III at anchor, Humber Bay West
Niagara 35 Mk1
 
1
General pics of hikes in Grenada
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
Some pictures of our time in Grenada
9 Photos
Created 15 September 2010