The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III

...a virtual ship's logbook, and some thoughtful (unabashed?) reflections on our sea-going experiences.

04 November 2017 | Somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean
18 October 2017 | Le Marin, Martinique in the French West Indies
25 January 2017 | Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | St Pierre, Martinique
06 January 2017
01 January 2017 | Fort Du France, Martinique
28 December 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlet, Martinique
24 December 2016
14 November 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
06 October 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
04 October 2016
20 July 2016 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
15 June 2016
15 June 2016
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
09 May 2016 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe

One Good Turn Deserves Another

05 January 2015 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
Lynn
Ken and I were relaxing in the cockpit of the boat, having just watched the sun set (but no green flash). With both of us fighting a bug, relaxing is pretty high on our list of priorities. I looked just off our port bow and noticed that one of the Sandals Resort watersports boats was dead in the water. They weren't too far off from us, so I called out to them, asking if they wanted to tie off of us until the problem was settled. The wind was strong, and they were drifting out to sea at a pretty good speed. I grabbed our floating dinghy tow rope that was conveniently coiled on the cockpit sole and tried to toss it out to them, but it didn't make the distance. At this point, they were going to be out of reach of that line very quickly. I was clad in only boxers and a long sleeved shirt, and said "to hell with it", tossed off my shirt, and dove in. I didn't want to get the shirt wet, and long sleeved shirts are a nuisance to swim in. It was getting darker by this time, too. I got the line to them, with an extension from one of their lines, bent them together, and Ken used a sheet winch to pull them close to 'Silverheels III'.
I was now full dark, and since my night vision is far better than Ken's, I drove one of the guys into the marina where another resort boat could be picked up. While I was off with Larson, Ken gave the rest of the resort staff in the boat a drink. Derek, the gentleman in charge of the boat, was very kind and effusive with his thanks, and asked if he could swing by the next morning.
This morning, at about 11:00 am, Derek was back, this time with an invitation. He had spoken to the GM of the resort and told them of our help. We were invited for lunch or dinner at the resort as guests of Derek and the GM. After, we realised we were actually "day guests" and could have stuck around for two meals, if we were so inclined, AND we could have availed ourselves of the bars. We knew we could have had lots of alcohol if we had chosen (we didn't). Derek showed us the options of the nicer sit-down restaurants, and we chose the buffet - it makes decision making so much easier.
Ken and I are simple people. When we want to get a restaurant meal, we ask bus drivers where they have lunch. For nicer meals, we ask where they would take their mothers. We prefer buying a beer at "local" prices, and believe in the concept of buy good food and prepare it yourself (where hopefully it remains as good food). This was a rather surreal experience for us. We were in a situation where we could eat whatever we wanted, and drink what we wanted, and not pay a cent for it. We tried a little of everything, with the thought that this was going to be our big meal for the day (good thing we didn't have a big breakfast!)
We took our time. In the time that we took to enjoy our meal and savour the experience, three different couples occupied one of the tables beside us. The staff were attentive and nice. It is actually a good thing that it was the lunch buffet, as I think we would have been overwhelmed by a full dinner buffet, lunch was plentiful enough.
We wandered the grounds a bit, taking things in. Villas with little private pools, at least one smaller pool away from the hustle and bustle of the big pool that has the swim up bar and the poolside activities (today was BINGO), and of course the beach. Little cabanas with your own personal cabana butler at your beck and call could be arranged through the front desk. And of course the water sports. Hobiecats, kayaks and the snorkelling and diving excursions; this is Derek's domain.
There is a lot of staff associated with the resort, but in St. Lucia, that isn't a big problem to afford, as there is no minimum wage. With staff doing well if they make $25 USD a day, the resort can afford to lavish guests with attention (staff will not turn down tips, though, which I am glad of). And the produce used for the kitchens is all imported, so local farmers don't get to cash in on the need to feed the tourists.
While Ken and I have seen tourism from the "yachtie" side, this was an interesting view of it from the resort side. An all-inclusive is certainly a nice way to pamper oneself and soak up some rays, but it isn't the way to get to know a place.
Comments
Vessel Name: Silverheels III
Vessel Make/Model: Hinterhoeller, Niagara 35 Mk1 (1979)
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lynn Kaak and Ken Goodings
About: After five summers and winters living on our boat in Toronto Harbour, we've exchanged those cold Canadian winters for Caribbean sunshine. "Nowadays, we have ice in our drinks, not under the boat."
Extra:
Silverheels III's Photos - Silverheels III (Main)
Photos 1 to 14 of 14
1
Looking for the next bouy enroute
Our whole life in 35 feet
Our peaceful lagoon in summer
Toronto skyline from Algonquin Island
QCYC Marine Railway: Lynn "workin
Lynn carefully heat-shrinks our winter cover with a propane torch
Jes loafin
Ken on deck
Island Christmas Party December 2007
Silverheels III at anchor, Humber Bay West
Niagara 35 Mk1
 
1
General pics of hikes in Grenada
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
Some pictures of our time in Grenada
9 Photos
Created 15 September 2010