The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III

...a virtual ship's logbook, and some thoughtful (unabashed?) reflections on our sea-going experiences.

04 November 2017 | Somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean
18 October 2017 | Le Marin, Martinique in the French West Indies
25 January 2017 | Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | St Pierre, Martinique
06 January 2017
01 January 2017 | Fort Du France, Martinique
28 December 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlet, Martinique
24 December 2016
14 November 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
06 October 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
04 October 2016
20 July 2016 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
15 June 2016
15 June 2016
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
09 May 2016 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe

Squalls, Showers, Sunshine and Rainbows

23 February 2015 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe
Lynn
We left the Saints this morning once there was enough light to make sure we didn't run over any buoys marking the fish traps. We knew that it was going to be a broad reach, so we left the mainsail tucked away under the sail cover; the aft lower stays really don't let the main come forward enough without chafing on that point of sail... I'm glad we did!

Once we were about 45 minutes out of the Saints the first squall came up. Torrential rain, about 35 knots of wind, and really lousy visibility. Since we only had the jib up, and we were on an easy point of sail, getting wet was the only hassle. Then the second and third squall came along.

By the time we made the turn up the lee side of Guadeloupe, it was much better. We still had some rain, but none of the squally winds.

A happy bonus with morning and evening showers is the chance for rainbows to brighten our day, and this morning was certainly a fine example of that! After every shower or squall, we were treated to amazingly brilliant rainbows, including one that looked like it went from one side of our cockpit to the other. I was fortunate to have the wheel at that time so I had the benefit of the full effect. The picture included with this post is just one of the many we have witnessed.

Otherwise, the trip to Deshaies, Guadeloupe was nondescript.

We have been hearing that Deshaies had installed mooring balls, and we were curious, and possibly even a little excited, about that. With the williwah winds and the squirrelly currents in the bay, the boats can end up every-which-way. However, the reality is that there are maybe 20 balls, and most of the 60 boats there that night were anchored. We dropped the hook in 45 feet of water (about 14m). Fortunately, the anchor dug in perfectly on the first attempt.

Since the wind was blowing a consistent 20 knots through the hills, and we were not close to the dock, we had to assemble the dinghy for me to go ashore to check out with Customs on the (sometimes) convenient computer located in some business or another. The business in the Saints that has the computer is closed Sundays, so that wasn't possible yesterday. We arrived ashore in Deshaies today just before 2:00pm to find out the store re-opened at 4:00... Explain to me how this is supposed to be cruiser-friendly? I chose to wander around while Ken opted to return to the boat to keep a wary eye on anybody anchoring over our chain (we want to get going when there is again enough light to see the fish trap buoys).

So, I wandered around Deshaies (pronounced day-hay, with a soft "h"). This is a town that seems to be losing its lustre. Lots of restaurants, but only one little supermarket with haphazard hours (it looks like the other two closed); it wasn't open in the afternoon as I wandered between rain showers.

We finally checked out, I helped a Norwegian lady make sense if things in the boulangerie, gave her our spare Antigus flag and we am finally dried out and warm.

Here's hoping it seems more desirable to be here next time we visit.
Comments
Vessel Name: Silverheels III
Vessel Make/Model: Hinterhoeller, Niagara 35 Mk1 (1979)
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lynn Kaak and Ken Goodings
About: After five summers and winters living on our boat in Toronto Harbour, we've exchanged those cold Canadian winters for Caribbean sunshine. "Nowadays, we have ice in our drinks, not under the boat."
Extra:
Silverheels III's Photos - Silverheels III (Main)
Photos 1 to 14 of 14
1
Looking for the next bouy enroute
Our whole life in 35 feet
Our peaceful lagoon in summer
Toronto skyline from Algonquin Island
QCYC Marine Railway: Lynn "workin
Lynn carefully heat-shrinks our winter cover with a propane torch
Jes loafin
Ken on deck
Island Christmas Party December 2007
Silverheels III at anchor, Humber Bay West
Niagara 35 Mk1
 
1
General pics of hikes in Grenada
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
Some pictures of our time in Grenada
9 Photos
Created 15 September 2010