The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III

...a virtual ship's logbook, and some thoughtful (unabashed?) reflections on our sea-going experiences.

04 November 2017 | Somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean
18 October 2017 | Le Marin, Martinique in the French West Indies
25 January 2017 | Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | St Pierre, Martinique
06 January 2017
01 January 2017 | Fort Du France, Martinique
28 December 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlet, Martinique
24 December 2016
14 November 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
06 October 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
04 October 2016
20 July 2016 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
15 June 2016
15 June 2016
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
09 May 2016 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe

Another Day of Discovery and Adventure While Shopping on the Big island

22 January 2016 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
Lynn
Our friends, Bob and Ginette were curious about the Jarry Industrial Zone. After sll, it isn't every day that one sees 300 hectares of stuff for sale in one area in the Eastern Caribbean. Heck, we've been there, and still find it incredible. So we arranged to meet in the main town square of Pointe a Pitre and take the minibus over together. We took the bus from Gosier, they walked up from the marina about a mile outside of town.
Our shopping lists weren't big, but some of the requirements happily overlapped, like the desire to find good quality sandals. Gigi was also looking for some light, sport tech type material tank tops, and Ken and I had more hardware and tool oriented needs. When we got to the minibus stop, the two bus drivers we spoke to couldn't say where to find the sandals in Jarry, but they knew where the big marine store was (so did I). They did, however, recommend the Decathlon store for the sandals (so did I). We went to the marine store first.
This chandlery is quite large, and it hasn't changed all that much, including their testimonial to just how bad Google Translate is (Peach Fishing?). The attempt to have signs in French and English is admirable, but the translations are so bad, they are unintelligible. However, we still found a couple of things that we could use, and we left happy.
We decided to walk a little bit to see what there was to see. Gigi noticed a store advertising 50% off Columbia Sportswear, so we walked in to see if they had sandals or anything else of interest. Well, the footwear wasn't necessarily designed for daytime activities, and there was little else of interest there. Since Bob and Gigi are born French speakers, I asked Bob to ask the lady where we might find sandals. Well, once she found out we were Canadians, she was determined to help us as much as possible. Apparently when she visited Canada, she was so impressed with how welcoming everyone was to her that she felt duty bound to assist us in return. She happened to have another customer in the store, and she encouraged (cajoled?) him to drive us out to the InterSport store. Wow.
Our ride out was pleasant, and mutually enjoyable, as the gentleman was very interested in our lives on boats. He dropped us off close to the sports store with a few directions and we wished him a pleasant day, thanking him profusely for his kindness.
InterSport did not have sandals. I think Ginette may have found some clothing, but otherwise it wasn't much of a stop for us. When queried, the staff suggested Decathlon as well. I then asked Bob to see if they knew how to get here by bus (we were told previously that it wasn't that far away). The guys didn't understand the question. Then I asked, and they got it; Bob and I had a chuckle about that one. The guys directed us towards the check out as someone up there would probably know. As it turns out, the security guard knew, and he gave us very specific directions. He wrote down the name of the stop we needed, gave exact instructions of where to catch the bus, and even followed us out of the store to make sure we knew where to go. We weren't going to get lost with his assistance! He probably would have lead or taken us there if he wasn't working.
This bus stop was one of those interesting ones, unique to Guadeloupe that we have seen. Yes, it had a sign, but it was literally on the side of the highway. It was by the underpass, but it was not protected in anyway. This is not something that would be considered acceptable in most places.
The bus eventually arrived, and the driver didn't have "zouk" music playing. Yay! We ended up only riding for a couple of stops, and when we tried to pay (the fare depends on distance) the driver declined payment. These are the privately owned and operated buses, and this man was entitled to some payment (and deserved it) but I guess he felt it wasn't worth charging us for such a short ride. More Guadeloupan kindness.
We followed the other people who disembarked, like lemmings, to negotiate our way to the commercial center where Decathlon, Mr. Bricolage and Carrefour are clumped together. Oh boy, one stop shopping! However, Decathlon's stock of sandals was woefully understocked; maybe it really is the only place to get decent sandals on the island! Gigi found a pair of kid's sandals that fit her (they are actually very nice), but Ken and I were out of luck. However, we found some of what we needed at Mr. Bricolage, and Carrefour gave us the chance to buy a box of ice cream treats and share them (enjoying the good things in life while being frugal).
Overall, it was an okay day for hunting and gathering, but the kindness of the people was the biggest thing of the day. We have experienced this kind of kindness in Guadeloupe before, but it never ceases to amaze us. Even in the stores, the staff are far more helpful and attentive than we normally see in the islands. Could it be because the people of Guadeloupe are just that much happier?
Comments
Vessel Name: Silverheels III
Vessel Make/Model: Hinterhoeller, Niagara 35 Mk1 (1979)
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lynn Kaak and Ken Goodings
About: After five summers and winters living on our boat in Toronto Harbour, we've exchanged those cold Canadian winters for Caribbean sunshine. "Nowadays, we have ice in our drinks, not under the boat."
Extra:
Silverheels III's Photos - Silverheels III (Main)
Photos 1 to 14 of 14
1
Looking for the next bouy enroute
Our whole life in 35 feet
Our peaceful lagoon in summer
Toronto skyline from Algonquin Island
QCYC Marine Railway: Lynn "workin
Lynn carefully heat-shrinks our winter cover with a propane torch
Jes loafin
Ken on deck
Island Christmas Party December 2007
Silverheels III at anchor, Humber Bay West
Niagara 35 Mk1
 
1
General pics of hikes in Grenada
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
Some pictures of our time in Grenada
9 Photos
Created 15 September 2010