The Voyages of s/v Silverheels III

...a virtual ship's logbook, and some thoughtful (unabashed?) reflections on our sea-going experiences.

04 November 2017 | Somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean
18 October 2017 | Le Marin, Martinique in the French West Indies
25 January 2017 | Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | Le Gosier, Guadeloupe
19 January 2017 | St Pierre, Martinique
06 January 2017
01 January 2017 | Fort Du France, Martinique
28 December 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlet, Martinique
24 December 2016
14 November 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
06 October 2016 | St Anne, Martinique
04 October 2016
20 July 2016 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
15 June 2016
15 June 2016
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
13 June 2016 | Grand Anse d'Arlets
09 May 2016 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe

Being Tourists by Car

12 July 2009 | Deltaville, VA
Lynn
As strange as it may sound to many of you reading this, the concept of touring by car is a little bit foreign to us. When Ken and I lived in Toronto, we didn't own a car, and only occasionally rented one to go anywhere; we preferred public transportation. Now, however we have full use of a car, as we rented one for a month to expedite our visit North.

Going somewhere at 65 MPH as opposed to 6 MPH is something we could easily get used to. In sixteen hours we accomplished in a car what it took three weeks to do in the boat. However, we also had to pay for all of our meals, and for a place to sleep for the night. We also had to pack the clothing and whatever else we thought that we might need for the car trip. The boat is our home, so everything we need is right there with us! Meals are prepared on the boat as required, and we aren't at the mercy of really bad fast food places that we might choose by mistake (Roy Rogers is probably rolling over in his grave at the crap that his restaurants bearing his name are serving).

Driving through the New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virgina countrysides was a real eyeopener for us. We have seen quite a bit from the water, but we received quite a very different perspective from the secondary roads. There aren't a lot of mountains in the Chesapeake, after all. The mountains, rivers and trees were very picturesque, and quite different from the Rocky Mountains that we have both experienced.

Once we arrived back at the boat in Deltaville, we figured that we should take advantage of our new found mobility. We drove to Colonial Williamsburg. This is about an hour's drive from our dock, but it was very interesting, and well worth it. Williamsburg was the capital city of Virgina until part way through the American Revolution. Then, the capital was relocated to Richmond for better defense. The original portion of Williamsburg has been restored and is presented as it was in 1775, just prior to the American Revolution. It has been well done, and they have done a very good job of making it clear just how tough life was for working people. There is a great deal of emphasis on the living conditions of "Enslaved Virginians" - the term "slave" is not used at any time.

Tomorrow we head over to another marina with facilities more conducive to liveaboards. Costa and Ainsley have been very nice, but the marina we will be leaving is very much a working marina, with few amenities. With the temperatures around here, a pool will be very welcome. They have a courtesy car as well, so once the rental car is done in a couple of days, we still won't have to walk the three miles to the grocery store - and they have laundry onsite!

We are staying for another month to install the new projects that we picked up on our trip, including dinghy davits. Nothing like working in the heat and humidity, but Toronto life has prepared us for that. Sort of.
Comments
Vessel Name: Silverheels III
Vessel Make/Model: Hinterhoeller, Niagara 35 Mk1 (1979)
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Lynn Kaak and Ken Goodings
About: After five summers and winters living on our boat in Toronto Harbour, we've exchanged those cold Canadian winters for Caribbean sunshine. "Nowadays, we have ice in our drinks, not under the boat."
Extra:
Silverheels III's Photos - Silverheels III (Main)
Photos 1 to 14 of 14
1
Looking for the next bouy enroute
Our whole life in 35 feet
Our peaceful lagoon in summer
Toronto skyline from Algonquin Island
QCYC Marine Railway: Lynn "workin
Lynn carefully heat-shrinks our winter cover with a propane torch
Jes loafin
Ken on deck
Island Christmas Party December 2007
Silverheels III at anchor, Humber Bay West
Niagara 35 Mk1
 
1
General pics of hikes in Grenada
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2013
Some pictures of our time in Grenada
9 Photos
Created 15 September 2010