Simon says Sail

26 November 2013 | Boulder, CO
26 November 2013 | Boulder, CO
25 November 2012 | Gibraltar
09 October 2012 | Calvi, Corsica
06 October 2012 | St. Tropez
04 October 2012 | Near Cassis, France
04 October 2012 | Near Cassis, France
14 September 2012 | Amsterdam
02 September 2012 | Boulder, CO

We are inboard

04 October 2012 | Near Cassis, France
Elaine/pleasant
This is now a true Sailblog. We moved on to the boat Friday, 9/28. Prior to that Jean Pierre spent several hours each of several days showing us how to drive and park the boat.  It is quite different from elainium which was 72' long but only 15' wide.  BOB is 49' long but 25' wide, so parking it is like parallel parking a tank. If the wind is blowing, and it does most of the time, it can get complicated.  

Okay, let me get this out of the way right now:  I love our new sailboat, s/v BOB.  Right now I am sitting in the saloon--isn't that where those of you who know me well would expect to find me--beginning this blog.

Moving on to BOB was much the same as moving into any new home for the first time.  We had to buy sheets, cooking utensils and dinnerware, etc.  But heck, that was FUN.  We went to the French equivalent of Super Target and spent up a storm.  Plus we had to get some boat stuff:  dinghy anchor, buckets, fuses, and wine. Lotsa wine.   We haven't met a wine here that we don't like which is a problem for us winos.  

It is now Thursday evening.  We left the marina at La Grande Motte last evenng at about 5:30.  Happy hour had to be postponed a bit, but it DID happen.  For this maiden voyage we have brought along a charming French captain, Olivier, who is so very competent and enthusiastic--he is a true delight.  I know already that I will miss him when he has to leave.  

We sailed for several hours and then dropped anchor after dark (not our favorite tactic) near Saint Marie de la Mer, a small tourist town.  All was well until ~ 3 a.m. when the wind and the waves got into an argument about which direction to go.  

Today we had a most pleasant sail to a fjord-like destination near Cassis.  It's a calm anchorage with sheer cliffs on either side.  On our way in we needed to pick up a mooring ball, lost the boat hook in the process and were aided by a couple in a small motor vessel. We invited them aboard.  For wine of course.   Turns out they live here!  She has her own salon and he is a teacher who goes from town to town.  Mais oui!

Oh, another funny story:  a taxi driver brought us and our supplies from the rental car agency to the boat yesterday. He looked over our purchases and told Perer "I grew up here and that wine (which happened to be mine) is good, but that one (Peter's) is not.". You know you are in France when your cabbie can critique your wine purchases!   Vive la France!


Sent from my iPad
Comments
Vessel Name: BOB
Vessel Make/Model: Outremer 49
Hailing Port: Boulder, Colorado
Crew: Peter & Elaine Simon

Who: Peter & Elaine Simon
Port: Boulder, Colorado