Singlehanded aboard Salara

02 December 2021 | Spain
12 November 2021 | Spain
31 October 2021 | Spain
29 September 2021 | Spain
08 July 2021 | Portugal
08 November 2020 | Portugal
31 July 2020 | Portugal
05 April 2020 | Portugal
16 November 2019 | Portugal
14 October 2019 | Spain
13 September 2019 | Spain
03 September 2019 | Spain
17 July 2019 | Spain
21 June 2019 | Spain
17 May 2019 | Spain
08 November 2018 | Portugal
26 September 2018 | Spain
23 August 2018 | Balearic Islands, Spain.

Back to Greece

03 May 2012
Peter

After spending the winter months in the UK I have once again arrived in Greece. I flew Easyjet to Athens and next day caught the early morning bus for the five hour trip to Preveza where ‘Salara’ was patiently awaiting my return. Such is the efficiency of Cleopatra Boatyard that a ladder had been propped against ‘Salara’ ready for me to climb on board. ‘Salara’ had spent the winter months ashore secured in a steel cradle. Before I left for UK last year I had taped plastic sheets over the windows to guard against leaks caused by the high volume of rain this area receives during the winter, consequently she was dry and sweet below deck. I really must save my pennies and install a complete set of new windows in the near future. After my arrival the weather was sunny and dry but the afternoon breeze from the snow capped mountains to the north still had a bite to it.
However the summer beckoned and after a couple of coats of antifouling paint was applied to the hull ‘Salara’ was ready for launch off, all other jobs having been completed before I left her last November. I paid my boatyard account beforehand as in common with other yards there is a ‘no cash, no splash’ policy. She was lowered into the water again on the 23 March. There were no leaks and the engine started immediately so I motored her a short distance to Preveza Town Quay to bend on the sails and get everything shipshape.
We stayed there for two nights before moving ten miles further into the Gulf of Amvrikakis to moor up in the small and quiet harbour in the town of Vonitsa.
Then after a few days the weather changed. Southerly winds, thunder storms and heavy rain. For the first week I did not mind too much as it enabled me to concentrate on doing a bit of varnishing in the cabins along with one or two other jobs that kept me below decks. However, after all the jobs were finished the weather continued to be very unpredictable so ‘Salara’ stayed in Vonitsa and I became bored.
‘Harbour rot’ Nelson called it.
Eventually after a month of really grotty weather ’Salara’ was able to leave Vonitsa. I anchored at Preveza overnight and left the next morning in time to catch the 10.30 hrs bridge opening to gain access to the Levkas Canal. I was heading south to Nidri and Vlikho Bay as I needed to collect my light genoa which I had left with Sioux Sails for repair last year. It was a pleasant trip and ’Salara’ was able to sail in a northerly breeze all the way to the anchorage at the head of Vlikho Bay.
The next day I picked up the newly repaired genoa, so now with all jobs done and the weather settling nicely into its summer routine all that is required is to decide where to go. So I shall decide over a beer.
Comments
Vessel Name: Salara
Vessel Make/Model: Nicholson 38 Ketch
Hailing Port: Lymington UK
Crew: Peter Needham (owner/skipper)
About: 2007/8 Atlantic circuit. 2009/13 Cruising in the Mediterranean. 2014 Atlantic coasts of Spain and Portugal.
Extra: The indispensable Hydrovane self steering. Eats nothing, uses no power and never complains.

Salara

Who: Peter Needham (owner/skipper)
Port: Lymington UK