Singlehanded aboard Salara

02 December 2021 | Spain
12 November 2021 | Spain
31 October 2021 | Spain
29 September 2021 | Spain
08 July 2021 | Portugal
08 November 2020 | Portugal
31 July 2020 | Portugal
05 April 2020 | Portugal
16 November 2019 | Portugal
14 October 2019 | Spain
13 September 2019 | Spain
03 September 2019 | Spain
17 July 2019 | Spain
21 June 2019 | Spain
17 May 2019 | Spain
08 November 2018 | Portugal
26 September 2018 | Spain
23 August 2018 | Balearic Islands, Spain.

Viva Espana

27 June 2016 | Ayamonte, Spain
Peter
Salara at Ayamonte Marina, Spain

The sun had made an appearance over the eastern horizon, the tide was ebbing and I was keen to take Salara to sea. So I removed the sail covers, weighed anchor and off we went, our destination Ayamonte in Spain.
Although I had hoisted both mainsail and mizzen sail there was hardly any breeze to make use of and I had to motor towards the entrance to the open sea. The tide was ebbing strongly and more or less spat Salara out into the ocean bouncing her through the standing waves that form at this state of the tide. Very dangerous if there is any swell from the southeast. Today. of course, it was flat calm.
I steered Salara out to the 50 metre depth contour and set her on course for a waypoint off the mouth of the Rio Guadiana. The course along this contour takes Salara clear of all the permanent tunny nets that are set along this stretch of coast. However I do have to keep a look out for the odd pot buoy. I enjoyed the trip even though the breeze did not materialise. It gave me the opportunity to play with the new AIS set and learn which buttons to press. I have to admit that I am pleased with it.
Years ago I always said that I would never have an electronic boat but as time has slipped by various units have sneaked on board and made a liar of me. My sextant is still stowed in it’s box under the chart table and sees the light of day only when I clean it. However if we suffered complete power failure it would once again be indispensible. I even have a book on board to remind me how to use it.
Salara crossed the bar into the Rio Guadiana at half flood, the bouyage alters every time we arrive but it shows that the authorities here are on the ball. A short time afterwards Salara was safely berthed in Ayamonte Marina which since her previous visit has been dredged to useful depths.
I stayed in Ayamonte Marina for a week partly out of sheer laziness and partly due to some strong winds. The winds prompted most of the skippers to double up on their mooring lines. I even bought two new stern lines from the local chandlery as the existing ones were well past the use by date. I also purchased a 12volt reciprocating fan which I spent a couple of hours permanently installing in a strategic position in the main cabin.
When the winds eased a little and yachts started to move out I decided to pay Salara’s mooring fees before the bill became too large and head up the Rio Guadiana to anchor for free for a while. Salara has been up this river so many times now she can almost find her own way. Since we were last here the channel has been marked by port and starboard posts all the way up to Alcoutim, Portugal and Sanlucar, Spain. This makes it even easier for strangers to navigate and it is well worth a visit. No doubt this is the thin end of the regulation wedge as this river marks the border between Spain and Portugal and I noticed the Spanish Patrol Boat complete with deck mounted weapon was checking the situation. I have often wondered why we don’t use them in UK.
Although I had anchored on the Spanish bank of the Guadiana I normally go ashore at Alcoutim on the Portuguese bank as it has more in the way of amenities. One lunchtime I met some friends of mine and we sat on a terrace overlooking the river eating freshly cooked local food all washed down with beer and red wine. A meal that extended well into the afternoon with lots of yachtie talk.
One day easily connects to the next and before I was aware of it Salara had been at anchor for over a week. I sit in delightful idleness in the cockpit reading and watching the river as it gurgles past Salara on it’s way to the ocean. Golden oriols flit across the river from Spain to Portugal and back, swallows zoom low snatching insects from the surface and occasionally perch on Salara’s guard rail for a breather. Eventually I had to drag myself away and after breakfast one morning I lifted the anchor and Salara rode the ebb tide down the river to Ayamonte Marina. It was the day after the EU Referendum and according to the UK media it seems that ´the end of the world is nigh´. Anything to plug a radio programme or sell a newspaper. It will be interesting to see what really happens over the next few years. I have been witness to many financial crises during my lifetime and I am still here sailing my boat and enjoying every minute of it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Salara
Vessel Make/Model: Nicholson 38 Ketch
Hailing Port: Lymington UK
Crew: Peter Needham (owner/skipper)
About: 2007/8 Atlantic circuit. 2009/13 Cruising in the Mediterranean. 2014 Atlantic coasts of Spain and Portugal.
Extra: The indispensable Hydrovane self steering. Eats nothing, uses no power and never complains.

Salara

Who: Peter Needham (owner/skipper)
Port: Lymington UK