Travels on the Inside Passage

A log of cruising adventures in coastal areas of British Columbia, Canada and in Southeast Alaska.

07 September 2014 | Ganges, B.C.
05 September 2014 | Quadra Island, B.C
25 August 2014 | Posted at Kwatsi Bay
19 August 2014 | Posted at Kwatsi Bay
15 August 2014 | Posted at Kwatsi Bay
15 August 2014 | Posted at Kwatsi Bay
14 August 2014 | Posted in Port McNeill
14 August 2014 | Posted in Port McNeill
14 August 2014 | Posted in Port McNeill
28 July 2014 | Posted in Port McNeill
26 July 2014 | Posted in Port McNeill
25 July 2014 | Posted in Port McNeill
22 July 2014 | Jennis Bay, Drury Inlet

Weather changes, we adapt

22 August 2013 | Kwatsi Bay, B.C.
The fronts they are are comin'
The weather system is dropping further south than predicted so we take a morning cruise of Mackenzie Sound before exiting. There is a reported anchorage in Little Nimmo Bay, but we do need some supplies so we will make for Sullivan Bay for tonight. We did enter Little Nimmo to look around. There were no guests around and only a few staff members evident on site.

We had a nice evening at Sullivan Bay and picked up a few supplies and fuel for the Bullfrog tender. The next day, Friday, we moved on down Sutlej Channel and pulled into Shawl Bay. Based on reports from friends, we took on sweet, clear water into our tanks and had a pleasant Happy Hour under the shelter. It started raining buckets as soon as we got tied up and there were off and on showers all night. Saturday morning found us up for the traditional pancake breakfast under the shelter served up by the marina owner, Lorne Brown. We had some good food and fellowship with the other boaters.

We took the Sunday morning flood tide back up Tribune Channel for a return visit to Max and Anca at Kwatsi Bay. We got tied up at the dock and Anca welcomed us back. They have a group of six large vessels coming in tomorrow, so space will be tight. Tonight there are five boats at the dock and we have a small happy hour gathering. Sunday morning we drop the Bullfrog into the water and snuggle up close to the boat astern to make more room. Anca must turn away a 32 foot pilothouse sailboat that comes in due to of the lack of room. Anca briefs them on where the best spot to anchor is and they move on. We noticed that the sailboat has a hailing port of Willamina, Oregon. They move to the inner bay and find a place to anchor. After lunch we take a ride in the tender and go introduce ourselves to Bob and Rita, the sailboat's crew. They invite us aboard and we have a nice chat about each others travels and Oregon. They are going to Echo Bay tomorrow but wish they had reservations. Rob offers to email their reservation to Pierre's Echo Bay Marina and they gladly accept. We will meet again tomorrow for the fish & chips dinner at Pierre's!

Back at Kwatsi Bay Marina the big boats are arriving. We find a 62 foot Nordhaven trawler with a crew of two tied ahead of us and 50 foot trawler ahead of them. A 40 foot Nordhaven, two 40 foot sailboats, and a 43 foot Selene trawler round out the group. Our 36 foot Grand Banks looks like a toy boat by comparison but she is our baby and all we would ever want. Happy Hour is a much larger group and there are lots of goodies, including freshly barbecued salmon skewers. We strike up a conversation with the folks on two of the smaller(our size) boats. Fly Away is an all aluminum Eagle Craft from Olympia, WA. The crew is a retired Air Force pilot (Lt. General Jim!) and his wife Elaine. Beau-Dinky III is a trawler from Steilacoom, WA. Beau and his wife Dineke have been cruising to the Broughtons for 13 years and are fishing and crabbing. Fishing is good this year, as is crabbing.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sirena
Vessel Make/Model: Grand Banks 36 Europa
Hailing Port: Bellingham WA
Crew: Rob and Sharon
About: We are retired and cruise the waters of the Pacific Northwest.
Extra: "Sirena" is a 1989 Grand Banks trawler. She has a single engine and all the amenities to make life on board comfortable.

M/Y SIRENA

Who: Rob and Sharon
Port: Bellingham WA