Siyasinana

A Zulu name for "We dance with each other"

20 February 2013 | Hilton Head, SC
14 September 2011 | Hilton Head, SC
12 December 2010 | West Palm Beach
25 November 2010 | St. Mary's River, Ga.
09 November 2010 | half n half
14 June 2010 | near Beaufort SC
15 April 2010 | KEY WEST-jEWFISH BASIN
08 April 2010 | Key West, Florida
12 March 2010 | Fanny Keys, Marathon Shores
08 March 2010 | Anguilla Cay, Cay Sal Bank
03 March 2010 | Lisbon Creek, Andros Bahamas
01 March 2010 | Rocky Point
20 February 2010 | The Bight of Acklins
09 February 2010 | Little Harbor, Long Island
02 February 2010 | Georgetown, Great Exuma
22 January 2010 | Georgetown, Great Exuma
16 January 2010 | Black Point Exumas
03 January 2010 | Norman's Pond
26 December 2009 | Bimini
10 December 2009 | Cocoa Beach to Ft Pierce

We are finally here

01 May 2007 | Cape Town, Africa
I've heard that sailors are to experience a celebration at first crossing of the international dateline where, in an instant, you are either in tomorrow or yesterday or perhaps the same day all over again. Watching the computerized plane on the overhead screen during the 12 hour flight, I woke up, and realizing we were crossing the equator for our first time, shouted a little yippee and fell back to sleep. We've been in Cape Town (Kaapstadt) now for 2 days. Craig from Admiral Yachts picked us up at 5; 20am and whisked us to our Cape Town home for the next 30 days at least. Mahoko the security guard let us in and showed us to a 3rd story palatial, modern and impeccably furnished sprawling condo overlooking the beach and Cape Town with Table Top Mountain in the distance. This is David's place. David is the Admiral at Admiral and soon after we were settled in he picked us up in a 3-week-old Mercedes 600 series convertible. His first concern was to see that we were all set and then we zoomed to the boat factory at 230 kmh arriving after just a few sphynxter clamped minutes, made even more exhilarating as the steering wheel is on the right side so for me, sitting in the front left, it felt like there was something I ought to be doing as we approached, at 230kmh, much slower traffic. The older I get, the slower I drive. I did the only thing that came natural...squeezed tight the rosebud and tried to breath normal.
All excitement and action at the factory. A huge, clean and bright floor space with at least a dozen 38ft.-50ft. sailboats in various stages of completion. The rows of administrative offices are up high overlooking and all done in glass on all 4 walls. Very nice. Very hip and transparent. Spent a few hours trying to sort out some layout choices that needed to be made now and then were driven to the bank to buy some Rand. 1 dollar gets 7 Rand so we are carrying a fairly large wad of Rand at the moment. And then to rent a car, a Volkswagen something. I think it's the Volkswagen "Itch" It's about as big as an itch on your ass. We squished in, got out the map and braved the left side city driving and went to the splendid, busy, waterfront area. Doubtful that any city anywhere in the world has a waterfront area as perfect. Boats, ships, stores, artists, musicians, African dancers, they have it all. I wish we had a happening waterfront in Buffalo. Send Brian Higgins, Joel and Mayor Brown to Cape Town right away.
Tomorrow we will try to set up Internet shop at Admirals office and see if we can post to the blog and check in with family, home and work. What day is it? Is it May yet? That's how it feels.
Siyasinana is looking great but has a long way yet to go before we plunk her in the ocean. Being the first 40 ft., every everything is being fitted and cut for the first time. It's big and it's beautiful and she still has that Admiral look of speed and seaworthiness. I would doubt that very many of the sailboat manufacturers have that time, talent or effort to provide the welcome and accommodations we are enjoying.
PS: if anyone out there in blogland ever has any questions or comment, pls. Click on the "comment" below and let it flow, we love hearing from ya-all.
Comments
Vessel Name: SiyaSinana
Vessel Make/Model: 40 foot Admiral Catamaran from Cape Town, South Africa
Hailing Port: West Falls, NY
About:
In February on 2005, we wanted to escape a below-zero temperature weekend in hometown Buffalo, New York. Having never even discussed boating or wanting to even own a boat, we headed to the Miami Boat Show, presumably to get new topsiders. [...]
Extra:
Married on the day after Christmas 2003, Gary and Lisa had done a little sailing on Lake Erie in "KYPU", a 26ft. Contessa with no navigation equipment and a broken engine. They now live aboard and cruise extensively on Siyasinana in the company of dog "George". Captain Lisa is now a licensed USCG [...]

Captains Gary & Lisa

Port: West Falls, NY