Skalliwag adventures

Cambridge Sailnet Reunion. 2015

26 July 2015
I start heading north and once I'm ready to turn into Herrington Harbour Bay I see it is very busy!! So I strike mizzen and headsail and keep sailing under main alone. I was still doing 4-5 kts. Seemed like every sailboat that approached had the right of way. First one I jibed to allow him to go by. Further on a dropped the main and started motoring towards the channel that went into HHS. So I'm lined up with the breakwater and here comes another sailboat. I don't yield thinking he can just fall off right? Well neither does he. At the last moment we both decide to turn and end up almost colliding.
I get inside the breakwater. Call the Marina. Ask for slip assignment. T-1. Hust turn between U and T docks and it's the last slip on port. When I get to the slip it says T-0. Has to be it! So I go in the slip. The dock hand says "you're looking for T-1? That's on the other side of T dock! So I back the boat out and between prop walk and the wind I almost end up on the rocks on shore! I pose back Ito the slip, and back out again, this time I'm able to exit all the way back to the main fairway in reverse.
I maneuver between the traffic to get on the other side of T dock. By then the dock boy tells me I'm reassigned to T-6 but I have to go back to the ordinal side of T dock. I maneuver again and am able to dock the boat.
The rocks just to stbd of T-0.
Comments
Vessel Name: Skalliwag
Vessel Make/Model: Crealock 37 Yawl
Hailing Port: Solomons, Md.
Crew: Marcella and Jorge Bermudez
About: We have been sailing together since we met. One of our first dates was on a rented daysailer in Annapolis. We have owned a Hunter 27, Hunter 36 and we just purchased our retirement cruising boat, a Crealock 37.
Extra: Our Hunter 36 sold one month after purchasing Skalliwag!
Skalliwag's Photos - Main
7 Photos
Created 24 June 2015