Slow Sailing

25 February 2020
29 November 2019 | Vero Beach
09 October 2019 | Washington, NC
27 September 2019
06 September 2019 | Norfolk, VA
07 August 2019 | Washington, NC
07 July 2019 | Washington
10 June 2019 | Washington, NC
15 May 2019 | St Augustine
30 April 2019 | Black Point, Exuma
16 April 2019 | Bahamas
02 April 2019 | Washington, NC
15 March 2019 | Washington, NC
10 February 2019 | Washington, NC
22 January 2019 | Washington, NC
07 January 2019 | Washington, NC
15 December 2018 | Washington, NC
03 November 2018 | Thetford, VT
21 September 2018 | Bradford, VT
13 August 2018 | Thetford, VT

So Cute

30 July 2011 | Meadowcliff Campground (a little paradise)
OK, here's another blog update!

On the day we left Sequoia on the way to Yosemite we stopped in Fresno to visit our two most favorite stores REI & Trader Joe's. We hadn't seen a Trader Joe's since we left Boston and we were like kids in a candy store buying all our old favorites along with some new ideas for our backpacks. When we got back out into the 100+ temps with our expensive purchases, there were two feet near the Scamp and we feared that once again, people were gawking in our windows admiring this little camper. Sure enough, there were! Very nice people, interested in how they could set their own traveling dreams into motion. We talked with them and they left, only to be followed by another couple, then another couple who even asked if we "were showing our camper" (well actually no, I'm trying to put away all this wonderful produce before it liquifies in this heat!) and then ANOTHER lady who just retired and is looking to buy. SO.......... We did finally get out of that parking lot and on our way but then the park rangers do the same thing. They don't seem to care whether we show our park pass, they just want to know about the camper. We hear all the time: "oh that is SOOOO CUTE"! Too funny. Jon slaved over this thing and he gets a kick out of the interest, especially since his dad was a little dubious at first! Well he probably still is.
As soon as we got to Yosemite we got in line for a wilderness permit. We got the hike we wanted for the next day and then hopped back in the truck to move to the campground that we also waited in line to get. But the truck wouldn't start. It appeared to be a wire to the starter. So we unhooked the camper, pushed the truck to pop the clutch, rehooked up the camper & headed to the campground & packed our packs for the next morning; we decided to deal with the starter when we returned. The next morning this couple in the site adjacent to ours set up their chairs to read and here we come by rolling the truck- I am pushing for all I'm worth right by their chairs and they offer to loan us cables and we're like "no thanks, we're all set, just need to get some speed up here- we're going backpacking you see, this can be dealt with later!" And, off we went. Then yesterday we got back and had to deal with it in the ranger station parking lot, in the pouring rain which we honestly have not seen one drop of rain since we left Tulsa. All our backpacking has been clear blue sky every day. Jon did get it running again but it took hours and he was hypothermic afterward and covered in grease. So we headed out of Yosemite towards Nevada down this gorgeous stretch of scenic road and got to this lovely campground that is $22 bucks a night with our discount and has fancy private showers & internet and smells of sage- this place is the ritz! Jon was all shriveled when he emerged from the shower, squeaky clean. So we're staying another day to just relax before making our way to the Tetons. It is pouring again this afternoon and I hope this isn't going to be the new pattern since for backpacking this would really stink.
From Yosemite
Yosemite was really beautiful. We were there last Sept but it feels like longer. We did a 37 mile loop that went into the Ansel Adams Wilderness & then finished up back in the park on the PCT. We did a couple of high passes through more snow than we've encountered so far, we camped by 2 very peaceful mountain lakes and the last night was in Lyell Canyon which is like a green paradise with crystal clear tropical green water & beautiful meadows. A PCT thru hiker joined us & our campfire for a little while one night and we got some good info on what it's like to do the PCT. I am of course very intrigued with the whole thing. Add that to the list. On one of the days the trail meandered toward Donohue pass through tons of alpine meadow with a stream running through, so beautiful. That was one of our favorite trails ever.
Of course anyone who knows us well knows we hate to be dirty so we are probably the cleanest people on the trail since we take a sunshower every night even if there is no sun involved in warming the water. I have this bright red poof that I use and afterward I hang it on a tree limb to dry. I swear, within minutes of my hanging it there is a hummingbird vrooming over thinking he struck it big. It does look like a huge red flower. They come from nowhere. We saw a blonde black bear, a bunch of marmots & 2 deer but there didn't seem to be quite as much wildlife at Yosemite which makes carrying the heavy bear canisters hard since they make your pack wear differently on your back. We certainly ate better this trip but ended up without any less salt. Our taste buds are actually burned from the salt. I think when we get back we're going to try out a dehydrator. We can use it cruising just as much as backpacking.
Jon's SEKI (that's what was on the permit for sequioa/kings canyon) scar on his nose is healing but he'll have a little scar. That's easier to take though than the ones he's getting on his hands from working on our lovely truck. Today was a rest day but when we stopped to get gas........ the truck wouldn't start. So... PUUUSHHHH again, this time uphill with 2 other nice guys helping, but it didn't work. Turns out the new starter wire touched the exhaust which of course is hot (and the starter is nicely nestled between the hot exhaust, the hot oil pan & the hot engine block), shorted out and popped the fuse so that is why it wouldn't start this time. So, after popping in a new fuse we were back on track to get BBQ for lunch!
I like to lie in bed in the morning before I open my eyes and try to remember where we hung it up for the night the previous day, since we're rarely ever in the same place for more than a night. I don't open my eyes until I've got it figured out. I am happiest this way it seems, I like to be on the go. Well tonight we're staying here at this great campground feeling like we got caught up on a lot of communication, photos, laundry, etc. I plan to make a bland dinner and tomorrow we'll hit the road again... well that is if the truck starts!
So this endless blog update is actually ending and I won't write until I've got some new news to report. Thanks for reading!

Comments
Vessel Name: EVERGREEN
Vessel Make/Model: Tashiba 40 Hull #158
Hailing Port: E. Thetford Vermont
Crew: Heather and Jon Turgeon
Extra:
Hello! We are Heather & Jon Turgeon of S/V Evergreen. We started sailing in 1994 on our first boat, a Cape Dory 31, then sought out a Tashiba 40 that could take us around the globe. It has been our home for 19 years. We've thoroughly cruised the East coast and Caribbean and just completed our [...]