Slow Sailing

25 February 2020
29 November 2019 | Vero Beach
09 October 2019 | Washington, NC
27 September 2019
06 September 2019 | Norfolk, VA
07 August 2019 | Washington, NC
07 July 2019 | Washington
10 June 2019 | Washington, NC
15 May 2019 | St Augustine
30 April 2019 | Black Point, Exuma
16 April 2019 | Bahamas
02 April 2019 | Washington, NC
15 March 2019 | Washington, NC
10 February 2019 | Washington, NC
22 January 2019 | Washington, NC
07 January 2019 | Washington, NC
15 December 2018 | Washington, NC
03 November 2018 | Thetford, VT
21 September 2018 | Bradford, VT
13 August 2018 | Thetford, VT

Happy Festivus!

21 December 2011 | Vero Beach, FL
Heather
From Trip South Fall 2011
People have told us that they are "living vicariously" through us but these past few months I can't see why anyone would want to! So far this trip has been dominated by one project after another, but we think we're on the backside of them now and plan to head out of Harbortown Marina in Ft Pierce next week. We do have the sea trial for the new engine left to do with the mechanic, but that shouldn't be a big deal. We've now got the autopilot in- it's definitely a more robust system but it appears to come with a much more robust sound as well. I can stand on the dock and hear the pump that turns the wheel clearly from there. Oh boy, days of this noise could make a person go insane. Hopefully Jon can quiet it down with some insulation or perhaps re-bleeding the hydraulic pump. Or else we'll be getting a new, quieter pump! Anyway, I'm looking forward to having more exciting things to write about and interesting pictures to post.

The area around our marina has some really nice running options. There are 2 bridges that lead across to the ocean with plenty of little parks to trot through. The marina has been so nice. After so many years at Shipyard Quarters Marina in Boston where you don't get much more for your money than 6 cleats to tie to, this feels luxurious. They actually have a staff there to serve you! The grounds are pretty and there is a round mangrove islet just off the docks that is a huge roosting spot for seabirds. They come home in the evening and squawk until they all find their places and then in the morning, they head off in groups as if going to work. There's been a manatee hanging around off our stern. He comes up to breathe and then sinks back to the bottom to feed.

A couple days ago I returned the rental car that we've had for the past 3 weeks and ran back from there. It feels odd to not have our wheels but that is more like cruising so its a good sign. Plus, Jon's parents have been so generous in lending us their car, although we feel bad about leaving them without one. Our friends Frank & Debbie came through Ft Pierce on their way down the coast so we got to go out together to the Tiki bar with the dirty oysters they raved about but they ran out of them before we got any. I understand they are oysters on the half shell with just the right amount of sour cream, red onion, a dollop of caviar and a shot of hot sauce. I think I can make my own. The next day we were able to drive Frank & Debbie around in our car to do a couple of last minute errands before they leave the US. It felt good to be able to help out since so many people have helped us over the years when we've been cruising. Recently, Jon asked me what the term "paying it forward" meant. He was thinking about how we've been doing so many projects to insure the boat is ready, we've been stockpiling food, spares, trying to anticipate what will go wrong and be prepared for it- all of this expense seems like we are paying it forward. But when I looked it up, it really means to repay some kindness that someone does for you by passing it on to someone else. I guess some people even go as far to as to pay the toll for the person behind them. Well, along with my "stop worrying" resolution for 2012, we also plan to keep up this idea of paying it forward; it's a good way to be.

We seem to be accumulating a lot of new fishing gear. Jon is determined to not eat too much canned meat on this cruise so he's reading up and buying what we need to improve our trolling options. In the past, we've done well with spearfishing but not so much with trolling while underway and we've never really tried trolling in the dinghy. We hear that a lot of the reefs in the Pacific are fished out (what's new?) so perhaps spearfishing is not going to be reliable; trolling may be the answer. A friend we met on the Central America trip kindly gave us a trolling rod which helped us land several mahi mahi and that helped us realize that the stupid yoyo with the 600 pound test line that we were dragging all over the Caribbean was the reason we weren't attracting any fish, not that there were no fish to catch. We definitely aren't short on time when on a passage so there's no reason we can't be catching and cleaning fish while underway. Ditto for when we're in an anchorage. We spend most of our time in the water diving but can troll in the dinghy on the edge of a dropoff and maybe get some pelagic fish that way. Hopefully all these new lures and poles will be the answer.

We're spending Christmas with Jon's parents for a change. As usual, we're eating good and it's nice to be able to spend some time together. Of course we do still have a little project going! We've got the food dehydrator purring away drying strawberries, kiwi, bananas, green beans & peppers. Ever since mom called me a veggie head, we realized that we eat a ton of produce and that is what we crave most when cruising. So, we got this food dehydrator to carry a little more supply without the added weight of canned goods. When we went out the other night with Frank, there were 2 other people who had them so it isn't all that uncommon. I'm not so sure this is the answer but it is worth trying out.

Well that is the excitement on our end. We wish everyone a pleasant holiday and look forward to staying in touch through the blog and emails. We appreciate all of our friends & family very much! Stay tuned!

Comments
Vessel Name: EVERGREEN
Vessel Make/Model: Tashiba 40 Hull #158
Hailing Port: E. Thetford Vermont
Crew: Heather and Jon Turgeon
Extra:
Hello! We are Heather & Jon Turgeon of S/V Evergreen. We started sailing in 1994 on our first boat, a Cape Dory 31, then sought out a Tashiba 40 that could take us around the globe. It has been our home for 19 years. We've thoroughly cruised the East coast and Caribbean and just completed our [...]