Slow Sailing

25 February 2020
29 November 2019 | Vero Beach
09 October 2019 | Washington, NC
27 September 2019
06 September 2019 | Norfolk, VA
07 August 2019 | Washington, NC
07 July 2019 | Washington
10 June 2019 | Washington, NC
15 May 2019 | St Augustine
30 April 2019 | Black Point, Exuma
16 April 2019 | Bahamas
02 April 2019 | Washington, NC
15 March 2019 | Washington, NC
10 February 2019 | Washington, NC
22 January 2019 | Washington, NC
07 January 2019 | Washington, NC
15 December 2018 | Washington, NC
03 November 2018 | Thetford, VT
21 September 2018 | Bradford, VT
13 August 2018 | Thetford, VT

Day 6

26 April 2012 | Passage to Marquesas
Heather

Things have been going pretty well so far on this constantly moving platform that we call home, the only thing around for as far as we can see except for flying fish & the occasional dolphin or fish that jumps. Oh and I saw a turtle today. He looked up at us like we were a UFO. No question we are intruders in this landscape. Yesterday we had 3 flying fish on deck and today it was a combination of flying fish & squid. It reminds me of road kill, the needless loss of life but we're just passing by and these things are jumping on to the boat so what are we supposed to do? Jon got all excited this morning because we had a big fish on- but that was right before it took the lure, leader wire and everything. I wonder how much the fish we get actually cost us?

We're working our way west trying not to make much south progress so that we can save those degrees for later when we'll likely have more of an easterly wind rather than southeast. The Marquesas sit at something like 138 degrees west and 10.5 degrees south. We're hoping that we can smooth the motion later on by having the freedom to turn south. I'm also trying not to really focus on our progress or miles to go since there is too much that can happen between now and our hopeful arrival. But we did pack on the miles today and not all of them were comfortable miles!

The past 2 days have seemed sort of unsettled in the weather dept. It was overcast with a few squalls but no real wind gusts. Now we definitely seem to have reached the tradewinds since we have had plenty of consistent SE winds- like its always blowing, sometimes more than we want. Today it dawned clear and breezy and we were already making really good time when I woke up at 7:30. I generally feel pretty rested in the morning especially with these 6 hour watches. You actually have time to get some sleep! I had plans to make some nut bread for watches and do some reading up on where we're headed. But then the wind picked up along with the seas, combined with a moderate swell and we were going too fast. We had the jib poled out and a double reefed mainsail. We decided to get rid of the pole and then we could reef the jib more and we'd take the mainsail down altogether. As Jon was pulling the mainsail down, I went up briefly to help but meanwhile the sail plan had changed so the autopilot hadn't “learned” our new sail arrangement so it let us get too far into the wind while I was up there. A wave caught our stern and pushed us further around and we basically slid down a wave nearly broadside taking blue water over the leeward sidedeck. Fortunately we were both hanging on and Jon was clipped in but I wasn't, intending to only be up there for a few seconds. These things happen so fast. There was a lot of water rushing by me and I was basically soaked from the chest down. Meanwhile, the water came sluicing down the deck and through the side of the cockpit getting our cushions all wet. I hate that! Anyway, we got the sails changed and for the rest of the day we could make our adjustments from the cockpit. We also reaffirmed our agreement that at any given time, only one person is up on deck. It has remained pretty windy and we continue to barrel along although the seas have settled some. We have what Jon calls “sissy bars” at the mast which are bars that curve around it that you can brace against when making sail adjustments. They are so great and most boats don't have them. I stand on top of one of them when we're entering reefy anchorages so I can get high and see the water better and of course when we're underway, these bars really add to the safety aspect of working on a heaving boat. We're definitely not a racing boat but we exchanged some speed for other boat characteristics that seemed important to us.

The stars & planets have been so bright and we've really been enjoying them. We also busy ourselves on watch by reading, watching movies, snacking, writing emails, reading cruising guides and watching how the boat is doing. The conditions seem to constantly change and so sail & course adjustments make a big difference in how the boat feels. I spend a fair amount of time worrying aobut the autopilot breaking since I know it will burn through the rest of these brushes on this passage and leave us getting the back-up steering options going. So far we seem to just want to use the pilot rather than the windvane since we're making so many course adjustments. We definitely lean toard whatever is easiest.

During the day, we don't keep a formal watch schedule, but we do have a routine. The days fly by and you don't have much time to do extra stuff. Between radio nets, emails, getting weather, prepping meals, cleaning, charging the batteries, making water, doing periodic bucket laundry, changing sails and making rounds looking for problems or chafe, there is a little time left for just hanging in the cockpit relaxing but not a lot. Plus, we're supposed to be studying French!

Right now we're a long way from anything. You can tell because our charting software just has a big blank screen for much of this passage- there aren't any soundings or chart details at all until we approach the islands, just a little boat moving across the screen.

I made shrimp w/ basmati rice last night & salad (yucky iceberg). Tonight I made one pot spaghetti which Jon loves since he says it's one of those dishes you can “just shovel in”, with fresh-ish broccoli. And brownies. Well, my watch is done for tonight. It'll be good to put my head down for a bit.

Comments
Vessel Name: EVERGREEN
Vessel Make/Model: Tashiba 40 Hull #158
Hailing Port: E. Thetford Vermont
Crew: Heather and Jon Turgeon
Extra:
Hello! We are Heather & Jon Turgeon of S/V Evergreen. We started sailing in 1994 on our first boat, a Cape Dory 31, then sought out a Tashiba 40 that could take us around the globe. It has been our home for 19 years. We've thoroughly cruised the East coast and Caribbean and just completed our [...]