Slow Sailing

25 February 2020
29 November 2019 | Vero Beach
09 October 2019 | Washington, NC
27 September 2019
06 September 2019 | Norfolk, VA
07 August 2019 | Washington, NC
07 July 2019 | Washington
10 June 2019 | Washington, NC
15 May 2019 | St Augustine
30 April 2019 | Black Point, Exuma
16 April 2019 | Bahamas
02 April 2019 | Washington, NC
15 March 2019 | Washington, NC
10 February 2019 | Washington, NC
22 January 2019 | Washington, NC
07 January 2019 | Washington, NC
15 December 2018 | Washington, NC
03 November 2018 | Thetford, VT
21 September 2018 | Bradford, VT
13 August 2018 | Thetford, VT

We're tired of wind!

20 January 2008 | Isla
Heather

While we've been ready to move on to a new town, we couldn't leave because of a cold front that was headed our way and arrived last night. Now we're being blasted with wind once again except we're in a very protected anchorage this time. We were up most of the night watching to make sure our anchor didn't drag or that another boat didn't drag down on us so we've felt kindof wiped out today. It would be nice if we could get some rain with all this wind so we could top off our water tanks but so far it's just wind and more wind.

Since no one could leave, we've had a couple of great gatherings with other boats. One was ashore at a restaurant for happy hour where about 20 cruisers showed up. It is so great to meet other people doing the same thing- I find it very affirming. Then last night we got together with 2 couples that we met and had a great time swapping stories. Gaston & Gloria have sailed all over the Med & Caribbean and were even diverted by the Portuguese Coast Guard while crossing the Atlantic to rescue 2 European rowers who's boats were swamped in a storm (go figure!). They told of the harrowing details of actually trying to bring people aboard in stormy seas. I sure hope we're never in that position. Since Gaston is originally from Cuba, we got to sample some fine Cuban rum too- just another thing that we're not allowed to enjoy as Americans! It was really good.

The past two days, we've gone to the beach, since Isla Mujeres is famous for its beaches. They aren't what they used to be though since hurricane Wilma really changed the shoreline in this area. We saw an old photo of huge sandbars and a large expanse of beach sand on the North side of the island and it's gone now. The waves now come right up to the sides of some hotels and restaurants. We found a beautiful lagoon though that's perfect for swimming laps since it is surrounded by a rocky reef that provides protection but allows a fair amount of current to flush through the lagoon. It is the closest thing to an Endless Pool that I've found- I can pretty much swim in place with the current and get a good workout. Meanwhile, fish and rays pass by underneath me so I'm constantly entertained. Sure beats the YMCA!

Yesterday we walked over to the East side of the island to see the cliffs. The main road on the island makes a loop and the Yucatan side is the "scenic road". It isn't all scenic, but looking out over the cliffs was quite pretty with plenty of rocks to sit on. I like the days that we just carry a pack with plenty of water and food and go out walking for several hours.

The weather is looking good for Tues & Wed so I think we'll head to Puerto Morelos which is about 25 miles South. There, we plan to put the boat in a slip for a few days so we can travel inland to some of the Mayan ruins. From everything we've heard & read, the best way to do it is to take a bus to the various places and stay in villas as you go. This is all very new to us but we're excited to try it out. This is probably where we'll base ourselves to dive in Cozumel also, since the anchorage there isn't good. I just want to get moving again.

We sure do miss everyone and can't wait to come home to visit this summer!

Comments
Vessel Name: EVERGREEN
Vessel Make/Model: Tashiba 40 Hull #158
Hailing Port: E. Thetford Vermont
Crew: Heather and Jon Turgeon
Extra:
Hello! We are Heather & Jon Turgeon of S/V Evergreen. We started sailing in 1994 on our first boat, a Cape Dory 31, then sought out a Tashiba 40 that could take us around the globe. It has been our home for 19 years. We've thoroughly cruised the East coast and Caribbean and just completed our [...]