Slow Sailing

25 February 2020
29 November 2019 | Vero Beach
09 October 2019 | Washington, NC
27 September 2019
06 September 2019 | Norfolk, VA
07 August 2019 | Washington, NC
07 July 2019 | Washington
10 June 2019 | Washington, NC
15 May 2019 | St Augustine
30 April 2019 | Black Point, Exuma
16 April 2019 | Bahamas
02 April 2019 | Washington, NC
15 March 2019 | Washington, NC
10 February 2019 | Washington, NC
22 January 2019 | Washington, NC
07 January 2019 | Washington, NC
15 December 2018 | Washington, NC
03 November 2018 | Thetford, VT
21 September 2018 | Bradford, VT
13 August 2018 | Thetford, VT

Passage from Mexico to Belize

04 February 2008 | Caye Caulker
Heather

We arrived in Belize a few days ago after a 2 day passage. It was an interrupted passage since we first had to stop in Cozumel to finish clearing out- we were only there about 2 hours and I was sort of bummed not to be able to stay there a few days and dive, explore, etc but the anchorage is horrible and when all was said and done, we would spend hundreds to dive there and keep the boat in a marina, paying tourist prices since it is such a hot spot for diving. We didn't feel we could spend that money. The water there was the clearest we'd seen since down here. Anyway, we left there and continued on toward Belize. But, we made such good time that we had to keep slowing down almost to no speed to not arrive at San Pedro during the night. There were dolphin playing all around the boat much of the time which was so fun. I can't figure out why they come charging over to play in boat wakes but I find I can't help but smile when they do. Sailboats must go just the right speed for them.

We pulled into Chinchorro Bank, an atoll off the coast of Mexico for about 3 hours to kill some time. Couldn't stay longer since you have to have good light to get out. We took a swim in crystal clear water and just relaxed a little before continuing on once again. That atoll was really neat and since Belize has 2 more, we figure we can spend lots of time at those and this was just a little teaser. It is something quite wonderful to pull into this reef bound circle of gorgeous water in the middle of no where and have protection from seas but clear view out to sea at the same time.

We had to really poke along that second night and got to San Pedro early in the morning. Certainly had plenty of wind and overall great sailing. We are finding that we're using a lot of power though to run our electronics so have to run the generator more than we want to to replace the amps we use. We need to get our towable generator going and it seems like we will just have to have a wind generator when we can get one. In order to mount one properly, we would need a new stern rail made and we just couldn't make ourselves spend the 6k or so that it would be to have one made in the US where prices are so stupidly expensive for boat work. Anyway, checking in here was a pleasure and when the handsome Belizian customs official said "Welcome to Belize, enjoy your visit" after a mere 45 minutes or so of check-in paperwork, I felt like this country was really going to agree with me. Everyone has been so nice and the sandy, island feel of San Pedro on Ambergris Cay is really neat. I definitely want to come back here and stay a while when the winds are calm.

Although we were pretty tired upon arrival and just wanted to stop and enjoy San Pedro, we had lunch at a restaurant there of typical beans and rice island fare, and then went back to the boat and moved another 11 miles South to an island called Cay Caulker that has good protection since a cold front was coming with strong winds and squalls. Also, the boats we hung our with in Isla Mujeres were here. That first night we had drinks on Slip Away last- wonderful people that are so fun to hang with and have TONS of experience with scuba. They're the only ones we've met who also have a dive compressor. There was also another couple there that are on a Cape Dory 40, from Texas. They've been here diving and spearing together. You don't need any fishing license here- you just go out and get your catch except for a few little areas where they've created marine parks. Lobster season ends on February 15th so if we want to spear any, we have to get going fast! We're really glad to be here- at last!
Comments
Vessel Name: EVERGREEN
Vessel Make/Model: Tashiba 40 Hull #158
Hailing Port: E. Thetford Vermont
Crew: Heather and Jon Turgeon
Extra:
Hello! We are Heather & Jon Turgeon of S/V Evergreen. We started sailing in 1994 on our first boat, a Cape Dory 31, then sought out a Tashiba 40 that could take us around the globe. It has been our home for 19 years. We've thoroughly cruised the East coast and Caribbean and just completed our [...]