Slow Sailing

25 February 2020
29 November 2019 | Vero Beach
09 October 2019 | Washington, NC
27 September 2019
06 September 2019 | Norfolk, VA
07 August 2019 | Washington, NC
07 July 2019 | Washington
10 June 2019 | Washington, NC
15 May 2019 | St Augustine
30 April 2019 | Black Point, Exuma
16 April 2019 | Bahamas
02 April 2019 | Washington, NC
15 March 2019 | Washington, NC
10 February 2019 | Washington, NC
22 January 2019 | Washington, NC
07 January 2019 | Washington, NC
15 December 2018 | Washington, NC
03 November 2018 | Thetford, VT
21 September 2018 | Bradford, VT
13 August 2018 | Thetford, VT

Free is good!

14 June 2009 | Great Bridge, VA
From The trip North
Well we did make it out of Florida; we're in Virginia now as of tonight, at a free dock- woohoo! We've only got 12 miles left of the ICW and then we'll be in Norfolk. When we usually pass this area in the Fall headed South, these docks are packed with other cruising boats. Now the docks are almost empty and we've got plenty of room to tie up.

We had a good passage from Cape Canaveral to Beaufort inlet except that we had to motor the whole way, dodging a few thunderstorms. After every storm, we'd get a North wind and the Gulf Stream gets so rough so fast in North winds. It really stresses us out. But we did make fantastic time in the current so it wasn't all bad. The weather wasn't right to keep going as we'd planned so we pulled into the Beaufort, NC inlet so that we could keep moving in the waterway. We spotted our friends on Pendragon anchored near the inlet but since it was 630am, there didn't seem to be anyone up yet so we kept pushing onward to the sleepy little NC town of Belhaven. We took a nice walk the next morning since that is about all you can do there and then continued onward. Last night we anchored in the Little Alligator River after an afternoon of powerful thunderstorms. By the time we anchored, everything was calm and quiet and we sat out on deck with our sundowner and watched the sunset in perfect peace and quiet. It was so beautiful. Like Jon says, cruising is full of 1's and 10's. One minute you're scared for your life in heavy seas or a lightening storm and it's a 1; the next minute you're relaxing with great cruising friends or are anchored watching a gorgeous sunset and it's a 10. There aren't many 5's.

Today we continued on to Great Bridge, VA. Took a nice walk, chatted with another cruiser on the dock and went out to dinner. Now we're pretty sure we're going to be stuck waiting for weather to make the last passage to Boston. Heavy North winds are predicted the next few days. Not great timing for my work start date next Monday! But what can you do when you move at 6 mph?! We'll try our best.

We've really enjoyed the intracoastal waterway these past few days. The birds and scenery are wonderful. It's fun to see our tax dollars at work too- the way its all so well laid out and maintained and the way the bridges lift for us to pass- its great! We keep saying that we could easily spend a season just doing our favorite parts of the waterway, working our way South at a leisurely pace instead of rushing through fighting the cold as we usually do in October. The problem with us is that we have too many places we want to go! I think we should do far away ports now though, while we can and save this stuff for later, but we'll see.

We're going through a little bit of diving withdrawals, especially in this brown waterway water. No great underwater pictures to post either. Well, hopefully it won't be long before we can get out our dive gear again. In the meantime, we've got the waterway smile!
Comments
Vessel Name: EVERGREEN
Vessel Make/Model: Tashiba 40 Hull #158
Hailing Port: E. Thetford Vermont
Crew: Heather and Jon Turgeon
Extra:
Hello! We are Heather & Jon Turgeon of S/V Evergreen. We started sailing in 1994 on our first boat, a Cape Dory 31, then sought out a Tashiba 40 that could take us around the globe. It has been our home for 19 years. We've thoroughly cruised the East coast and Caribbean and just completed our [...]