Slow Sailing

25 February 2020
29 November 2019 | Vero Beach
09 October 2019 | Washington, NC
27 September 2019
06 September 2019 | Norfolk, VA
07 August 2019 | Washington, NC
07 July 2019 | Washington
10 June 2019 | Washington, NC
15 May 2019 | St Augustine
30 April 2019 | Black Point, Exuma
16 April 2019 | Bahamas
02 April 2019 | Washington, NC
15 March 2019 | Washington, NC
10 February 2019 | Washington, NC
22 January 2019 | Washington, NC
07 January 2019 | Washington, NC
15 December 2018 | Washington, NC
03 November 2018 | Thetford, VT
21 September 2018 | Bradford, VT
13 August 2018 | Thetford, VT

Rolling around in NY Harbor

23 June 2009 | 79th St Boat Basin
When we decided to bring the boat back up North this year, we figured the season would be just right for smooth sailing and a settled weather pattern. So far, that couldn't be farther from the truth. Even though we pushed through the intracoastal from Beaufort to Norfolk, there was still bad weather on the other side so we couldn't leave the Chesapeake anyway. It gave us an opportunity to discover the city of Great Bridge, VA, just outside of Norfolk. The town provides free dockage to cruisers and everything you need is right there. We got reprovisioned and also did some nice walking and biking. Summer is in full swing and everything is so green and beautiful. Each day, a new batch of sailors tied up and we got to meet new people. Many were headed up the Chesapeake rather than offshore so the weather didn't matter as much. On the last day, we headed the remaining 13 miles to Norfolk and tied up to another free dock. Just as we were getting ready to head out for the day touring, one of our old boat surveyors came up to the boat- he was tied up to the dock too. The funny thing is, he surveyed our boat before the second cruise a few years back in Salem, MA and then when we were in the BVI, he came dinghying up to us there too. So that makes 2 times we've met up by chance in relatively far away places- very odd. That day, we did 2 great historic walking tours- one of Portsmouth, VA, then we took the ferry across to Norfolk and did one there. Both areas are full of naval history.
From The trip North

The passage from Norfolk to NYC was fine except that the weather is so unsettled. We do a fair amount of nail biting as conditions continually change. For that, we miss the Caribbean- trade wind sailing is raved about for good reason! We had lots of rain and fog on the second night and the low temps of Northern sailing really stink! This is the first time we've had to put a blanket on since I don't know when but out came the afghan that Mariette made us years ago so at least we were warm on our off shifts! We saw lots of seabirds and some dolphin and even a few pelicans at first. We're definitely out of pelican range now. On the last evening, this poor young osprey kept trying to land on our boat to eat a fish. He seemed desperate to eat but he just couldn't keep his balance once he landed on the bow pulpit with the boat moving so. He dropped 2 fish up there, so sad, then he got a third one and made several more passes trying to decide what to do before landing on our arch right above my head. Even then, he couldn't get his footing and dropped the fish into the cockpit beside me. I put the fish back in the water and the osprey disappeared. How sad. Every time he made a close pass by the boat he chirped some as if trying to communicate with me. I could see him looking and trying to figure out how to land. Every other bird has made it just fine to have a rest or meal but this osprey just couldn't. I don't know what was going to happen to him.

We arrived at the entrance to NY harbor in the fog & drizzle at 1am. The tide was against us so it took till 6am to get to 79th St Marina to pick up a mooring. But the harbor is well marked of course and even though the visibility wasn't great, it was still neat to come up the harbor at night and see all the lights, smell the city and anticipate exploring it for the next couple of days. The last time we sailed in here was 12 years ago on the Cape Dory; funny how the time goes. We had our coffee and tidied up the boat and then headed ashore. The rain had cleared for the most part and as usual, once you get on land after enduring crummy conditions offshore, it's a beautiful day! This marina is perfectly situated except for a persistent roll in the anchorage. I guess it would be better if we weren't having all this wind but still, there's a lot of current in the Hudson. Anyway, the bike path is right here and 3 blocks up is the edge of Central Park and Zabars. By the end of the day, we had walked about 200 blocks- oh yeah, we can walk with the best of them! We went by the WTC to check on the progress there (they're starting the new buildings and memorial but have a long way to go), had lunch in Chinatown, walked all over Central Park, all around down town and along the Hudson for miles. The new continuous park along the river is incredible. We love it here and would so enjoy living in NYC for a while; it's a great city. Needless to say, we were comatose that night. Like dad says, "I had trouble getting to sleep and then I shut my eyes".... we were totally OUT!
From The trip North

Yesterday, Monday, we did the natural history museum and went to Zabar's for lunch. I had to go back to the boat midway through the day to get more clothes since the museum was like an ice cube. We've both been freezing lately and I guess the continual North wind makes it worse. Anyway, it was another great day.

The forecast is downright humorous these days. The gale is stalled offshore and then there's another low on its way. Ridiculous! It is looking like Wednesday is the day to make the trip to Onset. But that means we can have another day here- we think we'll take out the bikes. There's always a plus side to everything. We will eventually get to Boston this summer... I think.

From The trip North
Comments
Vessel Name: EVERGREEN
Vessel Make/Model: Tashiba 40 Hull #158
Hailing Port: E. Thetford Vermont
Crew: Heather and Jon Turgeon
Extra:
Hello! We are Heather & Jon Turgeon of S/V Evergreen. We started sailing in 1994 on our first boat, a Cape Dory 31, then sought out a Tashiba 40 that could take us around the globe. It has been our home for 19 years. We've thoroughly cruised the East coast and Caribbean and just completed our [...]