Sailing Slow Waltz

17 May 2015 | Dehaies, Guadeloupe
11 May 2015 | Nevis, WI
25 November 2014 | Hog Island, Grenada
13 September 2014 | Mount Hartman Bay, Grenada
03 September 2014 | Mount Hartman Bay, Grenada
21 June 2014 | Grenada
08 June 2014 | Chatam Bay, Union Island, SVG
25 May 2014 | Portsmouth, Dominica
25 May 2014 | Portsmouth, Dominica
13 May 2014 | St. Martin
20 March 2014 | Puerto Bahia
20 March 2014 | Samana, Dominican Republic
13 March 2014 | Puerta Plata
02 March 2014 | Turks and Caicos
10 January 2014 | Alice Town, North Bimini, The Bahamas
11 December 2013 | Vero Beach, FL
19 November 2013 | Charleston, SC

#26 - Five Stars in DR

13 May 2014 | St. Martin
Gwen
Our next planned stop in the DR was in Samana Bay at the East end of the island. We left Ocean World for another night passage to make it by morning. Samana Bay is a protected bay on north east corner Dominican Republic. It is lined with resorts and receives many cruise ships. The passage to Samana Bay includes the North shore of DR which can be dangerous in certain sea conditions, with no good anchorages or harbours in which to take refuge, so sailors have to choose their windows carefully. The main danger is if the wind/waves or swell come from the north that the rocky shore that becomes a “lee shore”, which means the wind/waves and swell could put you on the rocks, should you encounter mechanical difficulties. Once again, we follow the advice of the all knowing Bruce Van Sant and take advantage of the night calm where the winds are lighter and tend to come off the land making for a more pleasant passage.

We left Ocean World at 10 am, a convey of 7 boats, Serenade, White Gold II, Simplicity II, Leeloo, Nightwatch, Serenada and Slow Waltz. The wind forecast was light and variable, however, it was steady east rather than variable, so we also experienced some coastal acceleration. It was more like 15-18 knots from the east, we were taking waves on the bow, pretty rough conditions until after sundown when it eased off. I seem to be finally getting my sea legs. I haven’t been seasick since the coast of New Jersey and Guillaume has not been seasick yet.

We managed to motor sail once we turned the corner into Samana Bay. We pulled into Puerto Bahia which we had heard was very posh. We received our slip assignments and once docked the marina staff came on board to welcome us and invite us to participate in the regatta which was starting the next day. Turns out that for with an entrance fee of $70, we would be entitled to 4 days of free dockage, swag bags and copious amounts of sponsored food and drink, so we paused to consider.... Actually, we didn’t pause. Except now, we were expected to race Slow Waltz. Not something we had contemplated!

We left the dock the next day with Gregg of Simplicity II on board as crew in our first race. Unfortunately the wind speed in the bay that day was ZERO knots, how is that possible? The 14 boats bobbed in the bay for 3 hours before the race was called. Oh well, off to the bar for free drinks.

There was another regatta the next weekend, which also came with freebies, so we went for that one too. Slow Waltz left the dock for the Saturday race. The wind was 15 knots gusting to 22. This time it was just Guillaume and I on board. It was a great learning experience, especially for me. Those fast tacks are hard work. Slow Waltz came 6th out of 12.

In the meantime, in between the two weekend regattas, we were able to take in the amenities of this beautiful 5 star resort and marina. With its multiple infinity pools, spa, restaurants and bar, we thought we were in heaven.

We stayed for 9 days at Puerto Bahia and a total of 2 weeks in the Dominican Republic before the weather window for our next major passage. Stay tuned for the dreaded Mona Passage enroute to Puerto Rico....
Comments
Vessel Name: Slow Waltz
Vessel Make/Model: Gozzard 37
Crew: Guillaume and Gwen
About: We are 40-somethings that quit our jobs and sailed away on our boat!

Sailing Slow Waltz

Who: Guillaume and Gwen