Sailing Slow Waltz

17 May 2015 | Dehaies, Guadeloupe
11 May 2015 | Nevis, WI
25 November 2014 | Hog Island, Grenada
13 September 2014 | Mount Hartman Bay, Grenada
03 September 2014 | Mount Hartman Bay, Grenada
21 June 2014 | Grenada
08 June 2014 | Chatam Bay, Union Island, SVG
25 May 2014 | Portsmouth, Dominica
25 May 2014 | Portsmouth, Dominica
13 May 2014 | St. Martin
20 March 2014 | Puerto Bahia
20 March 2014 | Samana, Dominican Republic
13 March 2014 | Puerta Plata
02 March 2014 | Turks and Caicos
10 January 2014 | Alice Town, North Bimini, The Bahamas
11 December 2013 | Vero Beach, FL
19 November 2013 | Charleston, SC

#33 - The Liebster Award

13 September 2014 | Mount Hartman Bay, Grenada
Gwen and Guillaume
The Liebster Award…. Sounds prestigious, doesn’t it? Well, not so much, but it is a cool idea that someone started where new bloggers nominate each other to answer each other’s questions. Makes for some interesting reading and sharing of experiences.

It is basically is a chain letter (I usually completely ignore those, but this one actually offers some benefits) where you answer questions posed by your nominator, then post your own set of new questions to your new nominees.

We were nominated by Alex and Dave of the blog Sailing Banyan (they really enjoy nominating us for things, AHEM!) and thank you and we accept, so here goes (good questions, by the way, Alex!).

(1) Where in the World are you? Alternatively, where would you like to travel to?

Guillaume is in the cockpit, and I am down below. Haha. We are anchored near Secret Harbour Marina in Mount Hartman Bay, Grenada. We have been in Grenada for just over 3 months now, but in Mount Hartman for two weeks now. We are looking forward to getting moving again after hurricane season.

(2) Describe the funniest thing you've witnessed in your travels to date?

When we were in the BVI’s we saw an island dog chasing a hen. When the dog got bored and stopped chasing, the hen turned and gave chase back to the dog, the dog took off scared. You really had to see it. It’s not funny when I type it.

(3) Describe your favourite cruising grounds in your travels to date?

We would have to say the Exumas. It was our first “cruising ground” per se and we had heard so much about it and it really held up to all the promises. It was where I (Gwen) really sunk my teeth into snorkelling. We miss the Bahamas, but will only see them when we are on our way back to Canada, because they are a long way north and west of us.

(4) This Sailing Lifestyle has obviously been a dream turned reality for all of us out here doing this. But if you could have another dream, another "thing" you would want to do... what would it be?

Gwen - I have discovered my love for sea life. If I was to undertake a new dream, it would be to volunteer on some type of Jacques Cousteau marine mission to snorkel and dive and study sharks, dolphins or whales.
Guillaume – The cruising life has met and exceeded my expectations and we have only just started. I can’t really come up with anything else that would be as satisfying.

(5) If there's one thing you brought with you cruising, that is totally useless and you could take off your boat, what would it be? Alternatively, if there's one thing you didn't bring with you, and wish you had, what is it?

The spinnaker takes up a lot of storage space and it has only been brought out once when we were crossing Albermarle Sound in North Carolina, but the trip’s not over yet, and we hope to use it more in the coming season.

(6) In this world of So Many Blog's, have you followed a Blogger and not yet met them? Who would you most like to meet?

We followed a lot of blogs before we left (including Alex and Dave of Sailing Banyan, who are now great friends! totally cool!). We have communicated with Paul and Sheryl Shard online, but never had the pleasure of meeting them. We watched a lot of their shows. It would be great to meet them.

(7) What time of day do you enjoy the most and why?

Gwen - The sunny part, clouds make me sad.

Guillaume – Sunset, because it usually includes getting together with other cruisers.

(8) When we set sail, and told our friends and family of our plans, we received some pretty incredible (and also incredulous) responses. Have you? Describe the one that impressed/shocked you the most?

We got 4 distinct types of responses: 1) The “atta boy”, follow your dream, way to go, would love to do something similar; 2) Aren’t you scared – pirates, sea storms etc.; 3) How are you pulling this off financially, and 4) You guys must really get along.

We were surprised at how many people expressed a desire to do something similar. #3 shocked us the most, but we got used to it. It’s a hard adventure/way of life to describe (especially when you haven’t even left yet and experienced it first hand).

(9) With this travelling lifestyle we get exposed to wide variety of cuisines. Do you enjoy trying, eating, cooking with "local" foods, and if so, what is your favourite so far? Share your recipe ??

Gwen – There is a cornucopia of fruits, vegetables and spices here on Grenada and elsewhere in the islands (although, Grenada is the spice island). We eat fresh food almost everyday, which we are totally enjoying. We have seen very elaborate fruits and vegetables that we have never even heard of, and we have tried a “few” of them, but certainly not all. I am pretty sure, that I won’t be missing dasheen or breadfruit when we leave the islands. We attended one cooking class and made turmeric chicken, which I now make regularly. I even made it with fresh goat meat once. It was yummy. I have included the recipe below.

Guillaume – I would just add that I also really enjoy sautéed callaloo and I don’t mind bread fruit.

Tumeric Chicken

1 lb of chicken thighs*, skinless, boneless, cut into 1 ½ inch chunks
2 tbsp oil for frying
2 onions peeled and chopped
4 cloves of garlic
1 bundle green onion and thyme, finely chopped
Seasoning peppers
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp turmeric powder
4 medium potatoes peeled and chopped into medium chunks
1 large carrot chopped into medium chunks

Heat a deep-sided frying pan over medium-high heat. Add oil to heated pan. When oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, green onion and thyme, salt and seasoning peppers. Stir fry until soft and translucent. Add the turmeric powder and stir fry until fragrant.

Add the chicken and stir-fry for about 5 minutes so that the chicken is browned and coated with the turmeric paste. Add potatoes and carrots and sufficient water for them to absorb. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 15 – 20 minutes, making sure the chicken is cooked. Serve over cooked rice if desired.

* For additional flavour, you can marinade the chicken in “local seasoning”. It is the bottle of green sauce that you can buy in Grenadian supermarkets.

(10) If asked to give a random piece of advice about this lifestyle to anyone, what would it be?

We will steal one piece of advice that we read so many times before we left cruising. If you have plans to go, JUST GO NOW. You can spend the rest of your life getting ready, and it might be too late. Second piece of advice, don’t be afraid to change your life.
--------
The next part of the challenge is where we nominate other new cruising blogs to join the challenge and pose our questions, and so without further ado, the nominees are:

S/V Serenada
S/V C’Sta Time
S/V Nightwatch
S/V Mythago
S/V Tempo

The nominees are required (if they choose to accept the challenge) to create a blog that includes the answers to the following questions:

1) What do you miss the most about back home or life on land?
2) What is the funniest/most favorite boat name that you have encountered since you started cruising?
3) What has been your favorite stop/island since you left home?
4) What is the one thing that you would change about your boat if money was no object?
5) What is the one thing that you would add your boat if space was no object?
6) When were you struck with the cruising dream AND how long did it take to get from the dream to the reality of leaving the dock?
7) What made you finally decide to leave when you did?
8) What one piece of advice would you give to someone with the dream to cruise?
9) What is your favorite sailing/cruising song?
10) Where are you planning to spend Christmas?

We look forward to reading our friends responses to keep the chain going!
Comments
Vessel Name: Slow Waltz
Vessel Make/Model: Gozzard 37
Crew: Guillaume and Gwen
About: We are 40-somethings that quit our jobs and sailed away on our boat!

Sailing Slow Waltz

Who: Guillaume and Gwen