The Adventures of Smart Move

13 June 2015 | Tyrell Bay, Carriacou
24 May 2015 | Saints Anne, Martinique
24 March 2015 | Puerto del Rey Marina, Fajardo, Puerto Rico
01 February 2015 | Charlestown, Nevis
13 January 2015 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
03 December 2014 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
01 December 2014 | Somewhere in the Caribbean Sea
01 December 2014 | Somewhere In The Caribbean Sea
30 November 2014 | Fajardo, Puerto Rico
22 November 2014 | Puerto del Rey Marina, Fajardo, Puerto Rico
29 October 2014 | San Juan, Puerto Rico
26 August 2014 | Cheyenne, Wyoming
01 August 2014 | Highlands Ranch, Colorado
29 July 2014 | Cheyenne, Wyoming
16 May 2014 | Sunbay Marina, Fajardo, Puerto Rico
15 May 2014 | Sunbay Marina, Fajardo, Puerto Rico
14 May 2014 | Sunbay Marina, Fajardo, Puerto Rico
02 April 2014 | Terre D'en Haut, Iles des Saintes
31 March 2014 | Prince Rupert Bay, Dominica

Let's Get Caught Up

18 May 2013 | Salt Lake City, Utah
Robyn
Last Week of January:
Once Bob and Leslie had departed, we brought Smart Move back to Puerto Rico after a stop at Nanny Key Marina on Tortola. Quino (the rigger), still had some fine tuning to do on the standing rigging.
Quino going up the Smart Move's mast.

Quino checking everything out!

We also took our new asymmetrical spinnaker out for a ride (sea trial).
Asymmetrical spinnaker flying high!
The sail is a bit intimidating because it is really, really freaking big! Quino was literally using his entire body weight to lift it and was swinging on the line. Getting it down was fairly easy as it has a sock like thing that comes down from the top to capture/furl it.

Last Weekend in January:
Mary and Reza joined us for a weekend sail to the island of Culebra in the Spanish Virgin Islands.
Mary relaxing.

Enjoying the our time on Culebra with Mary and Reza.

Reza demonstrating self-inflicted bondage!
Reza was attempting to demonstrate how to tie a self-rescue bowline knot - it looked more like Smart Move discipline via bondage!

Wing on wing.
On the downwind sail back to Fajardo we got a beautiful wing-on-wing set to the sails.

Arriving back at the dock in Fajardo, everything was going great until Smart Move didn't go into reverse going into her slip at Sunbay Marina.
Ouch!

Ouch, ouch!

Reza checking out the damage to Smart Move.

Thank god we only killed a dock cleat -- our anchor did it, that is our story and we are sticking to it.
Ouch! How embarrassing! At least no one was on the dock to witness the debacle.

Rainbows are really good karma!
Smart Move is off to the boat yard again. I think the rainbow is a good omen!

As good as new!
Everything is looking as good as new. Smart Move splashed back into the water in mid-February.

February 16-18:
We have new grandbabies on the way!
All of mu beautiful girls!  Of course, two of them are very beautiful (an accomplished) women!
I flew home for Kristen's baby shower and got to spend time with all of my girls!

End of February:
Happy days, I have been waiting for these cushions since November!
Our new cockpit cushions have finally arrived! What a difference a cushion can make - ohh ... my tailbone is a very happy camper. Life aboard has gotten lots better!

First Week of March:
Lilly knows how to work, not!
Lilly has adjusted well and is rarely seasick anymore.

Chloe is determined to wedge herself into the smallest spaces possible, of course she didn't really sleep well here.
Chloe is determined to squish herself into the smallest space possible.

Second Week of March:
Finally Leilani is here! And she brought Chris and Louise too, what a bonus! We stayed in the Marbella condos in Palmas del Mar, Puerto Rico. What a beautiful place, we had a fourth floor condo right on the beach.
Sweet Louise

Louise, Mom and (soon to be) baby Augie

Louise and her daddy.

Chris is awesome!
Chris is the best coconut picker we know!

Grandma and Louise.

Everyone was enjoying the pool!
Pool time was great too. We were very close to buying a condo there, but we really want to sail first. We believe we could eventually settle in Puerto Rico - what a beautiful island and wonderful people.

Last Two Weeks of March:
We are finally on our way! We won't talk about how I broke two ribs and delayed our departure three days.
Heaven on Earth
This is just one of the many beautiful anchorages we stayed in while we visited the USVI and the Spanish Virgin Islands.

Along the way we discovered we had a hitchhiker.
A little crab came aboard for a ride.
Can you spot the little crab amongst the barnacles? The picture is taken from Smart Move's stern at the waterline, which is under water. Damn that is going to be a maintenance issue!

Of course we still had boat projects to finish up.
Who would have known that much stuff could be stored in that lazarette!
We had to empty out the starboard lazarette to complete the installation of the VHF mike.

Lilly hard at work!
Lilly is not really invested in getting the boat projects done, but she wants to be a part of all of the activity.

Supervisor Chloe.
Chloe is invested in getting the boat projects done, supervising Dad during the installation of the new solar panel controller (after the first one died) makes sure it gets done.

We were able to complete nearly all of the boat projects we had planned. We got 100% of the boat projects we didn't plan completed! Of the four projects that we have left, the AIS (automated identification system), the sonar, and the chartplotter only need the head end units installed (everything else is in place already). The final project, the installation of the SSB radio (single side band) is a biggie - probably ranking right up there with the watermaker! I'll let you know how it goes. We have also decided we should install some kind of lightening protection system - we are not sure what that is yet, but I guess we will figure it out.

Sunrise over Palmas del Mar.

Sunset over Ensenada Honda, Culebra
Sunset - on land or over the water, priceless!

Lots of rain, lots of wind, big waves, cold, cold, cold!
Sailing back to Puerto Rico in the rain and wind - brrr, ugh, brrr! Smart Move was hauled out of the water at Puerto del Rey on April 2nd and we flew home April 3rd.
Comments
Vessel Name: Smart Move
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 473
Hailing Port: Salt Lake City, Utah
Crew: Barry, Robyn, Lilly and Chloe
Smart Move's Photos - Main
The Big Little Island
7 Photos
Created 25 March 2014
9 Photos
Created 2 December 2012
9 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
Pictures from Sherri's October 2012 visit.
9 Photos
Created 17 November 2012
Our time in Fajardo, Puerto Rico
6 Photos
Created 17 September 2012
1 Photo
Created 7 September 2012
Pictures from Miami, Florida 2012
3 Photos
Created 25 February 2012
San Juan February 2012
2 Photos
Created 18 February 2012
5 Photos
Created 14 January 2012