exploring the dream

04 December 2013 | Barra De la Navidad
19 November 2013 | Zihuatanejo, Mexico
18 November 2013 | Zihuatanejo, Mexico
05 November 2013 | Zihuatanejo, Mexico
03 November 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
01 November 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
30 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
30 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
28 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
27 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
26 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
24 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
22 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
19 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
17 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
15 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
14 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
12 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
10 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
09 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea

Moving our Way up the Gold Coast

04 December 2013 | Barra De la Navidad
Gene and Gloria
Punta Cabeza Negra 18 36.2N 103 42W North Anchorage We got up early for the 30+nm motoring trip. We had some repairs, part of owning a yacht. We reworked the starboad jib winch which wasn't sticking, replacing 2 pauls and springs. Overall, this is a very nice anchorage. The swell is moderate; we got the dinghy down and deployed the stern anchor. It's smooth and comfortable; we will stay a couple days. Here, Gene worked over the bottom of the boat again; the boys in Zihua missed the prop and under the keel. On shore, the playa is lined with very nice habacions and dotted with expensive fishing boats. A tractor hauls them in and out of the water. First, we took the dingy to shore and almost got wiped out with the surf. It was a n exclusive community of very expensive houses. Next day, we tried going out to the rocks for a snorkel but the surge was too much, so gave it up. We departed early one morning for Manzanillo about 45 nm away. We're finding that by leaving say 4 am, we get to use the 9-10 kt land breeze for motorsailing till mid morning. It was an uneventful trip except for watching out for the many fishing vessels and freighters.

Manzanillo Arriving late morning at the Las Hadras, we anchored in 30' sand. This is the Mexican Riviera where massive all white hotels and condo developments line the shore. We just hung out for the day; it was hot and it was cold beer time. Our entertainment was watching the workers and track shovel at a condo foundation being poured on shore. Next day, we stopped in at the marina and had a bit of a wander; it turns out the marina harbormaster doesn't work on Mon mornings. Eventually, someone showed up to tell us it would be 200($16 US) pesos per day to use their dinghy dock. No way. We just bought some ice and Gloria a top and returned to Pincoya for cold drinks. That evening, we went into shore to the Paradise restaurant for their 6-8pm happy hour for margaritas and a good dinner. They had a small landing where we could beach our dinghy. Next day, we departed for the old town Manzanillo anchorage and put the pick down in 30 ft of muck, amid the pangas and charter fishing fleet. We really enjoyed old town; there is a great local market, a nearby lavanderia (laundry) and water store. There was a religious shrine to pangeros that we used to lock our dinghy to and used an available float ball for a stern tie. The buses were cheap and readily available. We took the bus to Soriana, Home Depot, and nearby Santiago; returning via taxi with all our loot including two cases corona beer. From a taco stand, we got great pork tacos, and the best cracklins (deep fried pork skin) we have ever had. Later, we bought most of a kilo of the pork stir fry meat and froze it. We also bought Controy orange liquor to spice up our margarita mix and grenadine syrup for mixing with OJ to make tequila sunrises, yum! The harbor here was a bit disgusting with lots of dead fish and rolly due to the frequent nearby passage of pilot boats, tug boats, and simpsa work boats. All the boats here only knew one speed: fast and close. But we really enjoyed the 5 days we spent here. We then moved back to Las Hadras so Gene could work on the bottom of the boat a bit. Plus, we went in to the Paradise for breakfast then walked down to the Commercial Mexicana where Gloria got a toaster; we'll see how that goes! We were also able to get water at the Paradise landing and gave the boat a scrubbing topside; we did get soot on the decks of Pincoya at the old town anchorage. We could use a good rain but everyday more sun, 80-90 temps, and light breezes. Already, we have been in Mexico for a month, on Weds Dec 4, 4:30 am, up came the hook and we departed for Barra De La Navidad, 30 nm away.
Comments
Vessel Name: Pincoya
Vessel Make/Model: Island packet 44, 1995, Cutter Rig
Hailing Port: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Crew: Gene Dennis, Gloria Watson

Who: Gene Dennis, Gloria Watson
Port: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA