exploring the dream

04 December 2013 | Barra De la Navidad
19 November 2013 | Zihuatanejo, Mexico
18 November 2013 | Zihuatanejo, Mexico
05 November 2013 | Zihuatanejo, Mexico
03 November 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
01 November 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
30 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
30 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
28 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
27 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
26 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
24 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
22 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
19 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
17 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
15 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
14 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
12 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
10 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea
09 October 2013 | The Deep Blue Sea

At last, arriving New Zealand

07 February 2013 | Opua Marina NZ
The last evening we were abreast of the North cape of NZ and as the sun went down and the wind increased, coming up to 25 gusting 30+ from the NNE. This was a broad reach for us, one of Pincoya’s best, and the windvane was still working although requiring frequent babysitting. Good thing, because the seas got quite rough, 3-4 meter, and water was coming in the side and back. Plus that night we had two ships near us we had to watch and avoid. The night wore on and as morning arrived, rain was added to the wind cocktail. We arrived outside 9 pin rock, the entrance to the bay of islands, and turned in. The wind was now on the beam, we’re heeled right over, with even bigger waves coming in behind us. Hand steering was required and difficult, with wind turbulence caused by the nearby land masses. Fortunately within the hour, the seas mellowed in the bay and we motor sailed into Opua, eating the last of our expensive bacon.

After clearing in, we went to our mooring ball and tied on, where we have been since, doing boat jobs. Boat jobs so far have included replacing the standing rigging, new batteries, 2 new solar panels, new anchor chain and a 73 pound Rocna anchor. Willis has remade the 130 genoa with cruising laminate, tri radial design, and alterations for our boat. Doyle is repairing the blade jib. South Pacific canvas is making us new bimini and dodger. The salon and aft stateroom floors have been sanded and revarnished and many more small jobs like cleaning out every compartment on the boat to remove the sanding dust.

We may not get back to this blog until we approach June, when we anticipate departing NZ for French Polynesia going east along the 40th South Latitude hoping for westerlies, uless, of course, something exciting happens. Cheers till then.
Comments
Vessel Name: Pincoya
Vessel Make/Model: Island packet 44, 1995, Cutter Rig
Hailing Port: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Crew: Gene Dennis, Gloria Watson

Who: Gene Dennis, Gloria Watson
Port: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA