Our Sea Era

31 March 2010 | Mexico
29 March 2010 | Mexico
29 March 2010 | Mexico
29 March 2010 | Mexico
29 March 2010 | Mexico
29 March 2010 | Mexico
26 March 2010 | Mexico
26 March 2010 | Mexico
26 March 2010 | Mexico
26 March 2010 | Mexico
18 March 2010 | Mexico
16 March 2010 | Mexico
15 March 2010 | Mexico
15 March 2010 | Mexico
15 March 2010 | Mexico
15 March 2010 | Mexico
01 March 2010 | Mexico
25 February 2010 | Mexico
20 February 2010 | Mexico
16 February 2010 | Mexico

Guadalajara

16 February 2010 | Mexico
Rich
View of the celebration at the huge main square from our hotel room balcony at night.

We left for Guadalajara in the morning and had a nice trip across, around and through the mountains in a nice comfortable, air conditioned bus. They gave us a box lunch and had movies for the 4 hour trip. We stayed in Hotel Frances which is the oldest hotel in Guadalajara. It was built in 1610, very Spanish. It was located within a few doors of the major town square in the center of town. It is a beautiful city and the city was celebrating their 468th birthday in the town square. There were hundreds of people and a big stage where different events took place. We were lucky to get a room so close to the center of activities. We took a bus tour to the village of Tequila which is the town where the blue agave plants are grown and there are many distilleries there. We visited 2 of them, Three Mujeres (3 Women) and Jose Cuervo. Of course we had to taste the fruits of their labor. It was a very interesting tour, we went out in the fields to see the actual agave plants and how they dig them out of the ground and process them. It was an all day tour capped off by a nice dinner before heading back to Guadalajara. It was a really nice day.

The next day we took a tour bus to a town called Tlaquepaque and wandered around some very nice and unique galleries. It was a nice day and we just played tourist all day long and saw most of the city of Guadalajara and it's beautiful squares, parks and statues. It is a very old and historic city. We found a nice place to have breakfast each morning lots of nice restaurants and beautiful cathedrals. We wandered around town and walked to the Mercado which is the largest one in Mexico. It was actually a little cold there, it is quite high up in the mountains and people were walking around with heavy coats. We appeared a little out of place with our shorts and sandals. The cool air was refreshing. We were there for 4 nights and it was nice to get away from the boat for a while and see more of the interior and history of Mexico.

After a nice 5 days sightseeing we took the bus back Las Hadas and our boat. We moved out to the anchorage and then went to town to see about getting some fuses for the bow thruster. It takes a 400 amp fuse. That is a very, very large amp fuse. A house takes about a 100 amp fuse (breaker) for everything in the house, so you can see the amount of current the bow thruster draws. We found a place that carries them but they were all out and had to order them from guess where, yup, Guadalajara. If we had only known. They said it would take a couple of days so we ordered them and the weather windowed looked ok for the delay. We ordered 2 of them at $50 each because they are hard to come by down here. We picked up the fuses a few days later. While we were at the anchorage we saw a boat we recognized from San Diego, s/v Coastal Passage, Terry and Michele. Terry gave us our first sailing lesson on our first boat in 2004. We stopped and chatted for a while. Also s/v Gato Go from San Diego showed up and anchored near us, so we stopped over said high to Bruce and Craig. We were heading out in the morning and going to Tenacatita.
Comments
Vessel Name: SoCal SoGood
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 473
Hailing Port: San Diego, Ca
Crew: Pat and Rich Merrall
Extra:
We chose the title "Our Sea Era" for two reasons. The first one is that over the next several years we will be living our lives on the sea. It will be an exciting time, we will be sailing down the coast of Mexico and Central America, through the Panama Canal and throughout the West Indies in the [...]

SoCal SoGood

Who: Pat and Rich Merrall
Port: San Diego, Ca