Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

Nuku Hiva

22 June 2017
Land is great to walk on. It is still moving for us but slowing down. We could even get land sick if we thought about it hard enough but we just happy that we are able to come ashore. We managed to check in with Kevin and we were all done and finished by lunchtime. Not much has changed here in 10 years, getting ashore is a challenge with the ongoing swell and dozens of dinghies tied to the only set of steps up the concrete dock. Unfortunately the Oyster Rally was in town and that taxed every service that we needed. Small islands like this find it a challenge to cope with 30 boats all at once, not including us little boats. We managed to get some Internet fix but it was spartan at best. It gave us plenty of time to get some of the much needed boat chores done. We managed to fix the refrigeration, steering and mainsail. The sides of the boat had developed some terrible growth and the gooseneck barnacles had decided on Solace being a wonderful home. So we worked at cleaning the sides of the boat over the next week. Due to the rally, fresh food was unusually scarce so we were unable to reprovision as we wanted. We were stocked for 4-5 months but fresh food is always nice. We walked around town and enjoyed the laid back feeling that this island has. The locals are very friendly and always want to stop and chat. We had to forget our hard learnt Spanish and shake off the cobwebs from the little French that we know. Where as last time we were here we pulled out our dictionary, today it is pull out the Ipad and Google translate. A sign that some things have changed. One of the thrills in being here is that we heard the best thunder we have ever heard. We were subject to some squalls full of thunder and lightening as. Back to storing our electronics in the microwave but it left us in awe of the thunder. The mountains around here are steep to with deep valleys. The thunder reverberated through the deep valleys for at least 30 seconds, making a sound that was sonorous, rolling and deep. Once the scare factor was gone, the sound was amazing. We then moved around to Daniels Bay, a previous location for the filming of Survivor. Yet to watch the program but a few do know of it. We would of taken at walk to the waterfall but now someone charges $10 per person for the privilege so we decided to finish off cleaning the boat and enjoying this enclosed bay.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016