Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

Huahine

06 August 2017
We arrived on the mid morning and anchored on the edge of the reef. It seems Fare has not changed; the supermarket is the best in all the societies so we did a last big shop. We then meandered down to Huahine Iti and anchored in the stunning Avea Bay. Snorkeling off the back of the boat yet again. We did finally manage to clean some of the Papeete growth off. We caught up with Janet and David from Geniet Lewe and enjoyed a good meal at the famous Chez Tara. We were also able to manage some free wifi from the local resort so we were set for a few days. Unfortunately that night was when Tanda Malaika ended up on the outer reef across from our anchorage. They put out a Mayday and were lifted off by Helicopter. The next day, the cruisers got together and took them out to their boat so they could assess what they were going to do. It must have been a terrible moment for this family of 6. We had met them on and off since Panama and had a few conversations with the children as they were so personable. Dan and Belinda had to come to a decision as to whether they salvaged their boat or had it pulled off and sunk. Meanwhile, the cruisers in the bay spent many days taking the gear off the boat so the family could sell it to offset their costs. They stayed aboard Geniet Lewe and we all contributed to helping with meals, laundry, sorting and just helping where we could. Finally they came to the decision to sink the boat. Every day it sat on the reef, it was being pounded by breakers and pounded onto the reef to cause even more damage. At least they had a lot of their gear off the boat and would be able to make a little money to recoup their costs. This delayed our plans a little but we finally had to leave, as we had to pick up our daughter from Raiatea. Avea had become a really sad place to be as this family tried to cope with losing almost everything they had including their way of life.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016