S/V Solar Planet

Beneteau Idylle 15,5

19 October 2020 | Korfos, Peloponnese Greece
29 September 2020 | Syracuse
12 September 2020
23 August 2020 | Isola Dell'Ogliastra
06 August 2020 | Cala Moresca - Italy/Sardinia
07 July 2020 | Cannigione - Italy/Sardinia
19 September 2019 | Italy/Sardinia, Porto Pollo
05 September 2019 | Cannigione, Esmeralda, Italy
16 August 2019 | Menorca Mahon, Cala Teulera
11 August 2019 | Mallorca, Puerto Pollenca
14 May 2019 | Puerto Pollenca
07 October 2018
04 August 2018
02 August 2018

Greece 2022 Part I From N. Aegina to Methóni, Peloponnese

20 July 2022 | Methóni
Katrin Stützer | Sunny
After a break, due to the corona pandemic, we are again "Vagabundos del mar". In the hardstand we made Solar Planet pretty again and went back into the water. This was followed by maintenance work and re-acclimatization.
From N. Aegina we sailed to N. Poros. Finally we could swim again.
Our plan is to sail around the Peleponnes towards Corfu in the Ionian Sea.
Our first anchorage was N. Dokos with the large Ormos Skindos bay which gave us protection from the east winds. It seemed to us to be particularly popular with charters who tied themselves to the rocks on the shore with aft lines.
N. Spetses with Ormos Zogeria was our next destination. The surroundings of the anchorage with their wooded foreshore and crystal clear water were very charming.
Just across, in the Peloponnese is Porto Heli, which is known as the "Greek Riviera" including Hydra and Spetses. The bay gives very good protection, which was already appreciated in ancient times, and the sticky silt offers excellent support. There is a new marina, quay wall to which you tie aft, restaurants and good shopping.
After we spent another overnight stay on N. Spetses, Ormos Zogeria the winds were favorable to sail the east coast from the Peloponnese to the south. From Cape Ak Maléas it was not far to the island of Elafónisos with the magnificent Simon's Beach with its turquoise waters. We slept in the cockpit and couldn't believe our eyes when we saw the orange supermoon set in the sea. Unfortunately, the ship movements did not result in a useful photo.
Our next stop was the former pirate port, Pórto Kágio. The village consists of just a handful of houses, three fish taverns and a small fishing port at the southernmost tip of the southeastern European mainland. A nightly thunderstorm with fierce north winds shortened our night's rest.
Before we left for Kōroni we day anchored in the wildly romantic, fjord-like Vathi Bay.
Kōroni, a place steeped in history with a fortress. The Byzantines fortified the hill. This was conquered by the Franks in 1205. And a year later it was handed over to Venice for 300 years. In 1500 the Turks came, in 1532 the Genoese, then again the Turks. In the 17th century came the Spaniards, at the end of the 18th century the Russians and at the beginning of the 19th century finally the French. What a history. Our anchorage below the impressive fortress in front of the port of Kōroni became uncomfortable in north winds at night and very dangerous with the boulders underground. On the southern side, only 1 nm away, in the Ormos Nemi with the Zaga Beach we found excellent protection with sandy bottom. What a difference! However, only until noon the next day when the wind from S hit the bay. And on we sailed to Methóni. Methóni attracts with a sandy beach, a pretty platia at the harbor and an old Venetian fortress and is said to be one of the most beautiful places in Messinia. On the first night the wind turned to NW, N and even O, so that all ships were completely different than in the evening. Now it is time for us to sail the west coast from the Peloponnese to the north and wait for the right winds.
It's here 12:00 local time ( GMT 9:00 ) and 27.9 ° in the shade with cool breeze. Hasta luego

Corinth Canal and Saronic Gulf 10/11 2020

18 November 2020
Katrin Stützer | bewölkt und windig
As soon as the sun rose, Swen started the engine and off we went to the entrance from Corinth Canal. We were only two boats for going to Isthmia. Over VHF Channel 11 we called "Channel Authority" asking for premission to enter the Canal. We had only to wait 15 Min. , than we were the first to enter. The first and last bridge are lowering bridges. I was a bit excited, the scene was fantastic and I made a lot of pictures. View forward to south the light was mystic and backwards full colours. The Canal is 5,9 km long, minimum 24 m width, 8 m depth, rocks are 84 m high, is an abbreviation of 400 km and was built in 1881 - 1903. After an hour we arrived Isthmia and moored lengthside for paying our fee of 300 €. Yeah, they needed many TNT and doing weekly maintenance and and and. Ok., we were in Saronic Gulf and sailed with light winds to Korfos, Peloponnese. Some few restaurants were open, but season was almost over. Next stop was Epidavrous, Methana Island and Poros Island. In Poros we got a berth. In Greece usely you anchor with your bow anchor and tie up 2 ropes from stern to land. You can imagine it can get a disaster when chains are lie on top of each other. The village was a nice spot. Many restaurants and cafés next to us, and I enjoyed it very much not to cook, having a nice service and doing some walks. Unfortunately most of the shops were closed. In Poros we met "old" friends, Tina and Markus from "Blue Callaloo". Last time we met us was 2011 in New Caledonia, Noumea. We had a lot to talk about and shared memories. In Poros and anchorages Ormos Megalou Neoria and Russian Bay we had strong northerly wind, up to 30 kn. After a week we were able to do the trip to Aegina Island were we moored in the harbour. Covid Lockdown arrived and restaurants were only open for take away and most shops were closed. With a rent a scooter we did an island roundtrip. We vistited Kanonis Boatyard and checked "our" hardstand position and we came clear. Oh, by the way, Aegina is the Island for best Pistachios on world. First time I saw a Pistachio tree. On friday the 13th wind calmed down and we left for Kanonis Boatyard. Everything went well, they did it professional. Now we live in 3 m height and preparing Solar Planet for winter storage and flying home from Athens to Frankfurt and going 10 days in quarantine, hoisting yellow flag.

Greece I 10-2020

19 October 2020 | Korfos, Peloponnese Greece
Katrin Stuetzer | Good
We left Syracusa/Sicily on the 30.09.20 at 3:45 in the morning. Our weather window was short and we had to made it in time, what we did. Some thunderstorms around and at the end strong winds from S, means on starboard. In the night of 02.10.20 we arrieved Greece, N. Zakynthos small Harbor AG. Nikiloas, happy to got some sleep. Early in the morning we left for Makrys Gialos, Pebble Beach. Nice Bay with a fantastic view to Kefalonia Island and around. Anchorage got also swell at night. We sailed to Kyllinis/Peloponnese. The Port is big, enough space to maneuver ferrys and it was new dregged - sand ground. Kyllinis is a Port of entry and we visited Customs to report our arrival. They were very friendly and we were told we have nothing to do. We got serveral sms from Greece with the information:"Welcome to Greece. Because of Covid-19 randomtesting may apply upon your arrival and you may need to self-quarantine for 1 day. Stay safe, enjoy Greece." So everything was easy. After 2 days we left for course into Gulf of Patras. Just when we entered winds blow up against us. To anchor in one of the bays was not possible with the swell, and we hit to Patras. We reached Patras in the evening, Actually there is no anchorage, except a Marina, but we anchored in front of a fishing boat ship area. Patras is the third biggest town of Greece after Athen and Thessaloniki. Early in the morning we sailed in direction Rion-Antirion-Bridge or official Charilaos Trikoupis Bridge, short form "Gefyra". We had to contact Rion Traffic on VHF 14 to get our information where we should sail underneath the bridge."One Pylone to the right and three Pylone to the left." Wow, this bridge is amazing. It's the longest cable-stayed bridge on the world! 52 m hight and 2,5 km long. We sailed from Gulf of Patras to Gulf of Corinth. It was dawn and a kind of mystical atmosphere. It's always exciting to move underneath a bridge. We did it first time in San Franciso under Golden Gate, San Diego under Coronado Bridge, Malaysian under Second Link Expy, Sydney under Harbor Bridge, Miami under MC Arthur Causeway and some more. It was only a stone throw to Nafpaktos. We were glad to catch one of two anchorages in the small harbor, because a Swiss boat left. This is a horseshoeshaped, venetian, pittoresque harbor with a lot of history. 1571 was a big battle between the Ottoman and Spanish-Venetian fleets in Gulf of Corinth. Also well knowned writer Miguel de Cervantes "Don Quijote" fights against the Ottoman. He got three gunshot wounds, two in the chest, one in his left forearm, leaving his left hand permanently paralyzed and giving him the nickname:"El manco de Lepanto." The independence war was 1821-1829 and Giorgos Anemogiannis (1796-1821) tried to set on fire an Ottman flagship, but unfortunately he has captured and brutally murdered. Today he is a hero of Greek war of independence. We enjoyed the days in Nafpaktos very much. Next stop was small island N. Trizonia where a not finished Marina is located. This was a very quite island with a nice fishermen harbor where Restaurants are located. Only few nm ahead lays Port Galaxidi. Also a very nice village with Tavern and Restaurants. You can see it from far what kind it is. Restaurants have brighter lights. Here we got easy contact to Andreas who helps you with diesel and tours. It was a nice service to get diesel at the anchorage.
In the next big Bay we anchored in Agios Isidoros, a sleepy village where we had our own beach.
Just around the peninsula Kefali lies Antikyra. We anchored next to the promenade where the Restaurants and Bars are. Galaxidi and Antikyra Restaurants are open around the year.
Next, after all winds from W with 30 kn was gone, we sailed to Corinth and were happy to got help from Georio from Marina Corinth. Of course the small Marina got enough place by this time of year.
So, that's it for the moment. The next blog will start with the passage through the Channel of Corinth.

Leaving Sicily

29 September 2020 | Syracuse
Katrin Stuetzer | Good
After 5 days in Porto Palo di Passero were we had endured the effects of Medicane "Casillda", "Ianos" form of thunderstorms, strong winds and tonns of water, we sailed to Syracuse. There was still a mighty roar around the Peninsula Maddalena and the harbour entrance. Since Corona you have to register in advance via internet and get an anchor position. We weren't checked, but we heard of fines of up to 400 € for nonregistration. The bay of Syracuse is very large, open to East and has good anchorage ground, but we got a lot of barnacles!!! 10 ships and 1 Cruiser were anchored and 1 Cruiser at the Pier. The old Town on the island Ortigia is beautiful, small alleys with restaurants, historical sights, and clean. With a rent a car we drove the east coast north via Augusta to Catania. Here we meet again and again Vincenzo Bellini, people are very proud of. Even though the weather was rainy we drove on Mount Etna to the mountain station La Montagnola, which was a must. The lava landscape is very impressive. Flowering brooms and a flock of sheep surprised us. After a short stop in Acireale we went to Taormina, which is popular with the Germans. By car we droved through narrow streets to the amphitheater of Taormina . Swen did a great job. The theater, the view of Mount Etna and the coast of Naxos are breathtaking. Messina was our next stop, from where the ferries run to the nearby mainland. Next to the cathedral is a bell tower with the largest clock work in the world, built in 1933. I would love to visit inside. Then we went to north coast, from where we saw the Aeolian Islands like Stromboli. The north coast has endless beaches where not many people were now. Shortly before Palermo we stayed and ate in an excellent fish restaurant. The next day we drove to the city center of Palermo. Here it got really hectic and dirty, and we were happy when we were back on the highway to Catania and around us were only agricultural fields. Since 4 days we have strong winds , thunderstorms with rain in Syracuse . Our plan has changed, we will sail directly to the Peleponeis, about 300 nm away, on Wednesday. The weather looks good for the next 2 1/2 days. The photo album will follow.

Sicily I. 2020

12 September 2020
Katrin Stützer | Sonnig
The 171 nm trip from Sardinia, Arbatax to Sicily, Porto di Trapani was a bit rolling due to lateral current and aft winds. There we were able to anchor in the protected harbour basin. The port is very busy, ferries to Caliari, Tunis, Pantelleria and many excursion boaters to Aeolian Islands. During rush hour it was a bit choppy, but otherwise Solar Planet was there well and safely. Trapani is a large city with everything that goes with it. The prevailing winds on the north coast come from the north. When southerly winds were predicted, we sailed to Egadi Islands, first to Isola di Favignana. A park ranger came along side in the evening, we paid 122,50 € for a week in this natur park with the possibility to attach to a buoy. Isola di Favignana is the largest of the islands. Here the guests rode bicycle and Swen remembered Formentera in ancient times. With a scooter we explored the whole island. Isola Levanzo was the second island we visited. The small harbour village stuck to the rock face and has a special atmosphere. Current and wind didn't come always from the same direction and made on board life not easy. We left Cala Fredda and sailed to Marsala on the west coast. Anchoring in the harbour basin is not allowed, so we anchored in front of the breakwater. A lady from the port office called us on VHF and wanted to know all anchorages with date, arrival and departure time since we arrived Sicily. She gave us no explanation for this procedere. We continued the conversation over phone. We were ultimately forbidden to come ashore. Next day we sailed on to Mazara del Vallo, anchored again in front of the breakwater. Here we went ashore, oh what was it dirty, evil smelling and littered. Our next destination was Porto Empedocle, here we anchored alone in the large harbour basin and no one spoke to us. With a scooter we did grocery and visited the worth seeing Valley of the Temples in Agrigento. On the south coast swell is coming SW and there are no quite anchorages, so we chose Marina di Ragusa. For this we had to register 24 hrs. before ETA and fill out a health questionaire and send it to 5 e-mail addresses. A Marinero led us from the harbour entrance, past the large sandbank on starboard and helped us to dock. The marina offers 700 berths and has a hardstand as well. It´s located right in the village with popular beach and restaurants. Until end of September is still high season. Ship washed, water replenished, restaurant visited and next day we sailed further SE to Porto Palo Bay. We are on the hook with 2 other vessels. Expecting strong NE winds in the next couple of days, we should be good protected. Our plan is to sail the east cost and visit Syracuse and maybe more, sailing to Calabrien and Greece, Corfu.

Goodbye Sardinia

23 August 2020 | Isola Dell'Ogliastra
Katrin Stützer | Sunny
In the northern part of the east coast there are many beautiful bays and again and again the spectacular view to Isola Tavolara in Golfo di Olbia. To the island there is a wonderful history. At the beginning of the 19th century, the Corsican Giuseppe Bertoleoni came with his family to Sardinia and settled on the uninhabited island. In 1836, when King Carlo Alberto of Sardinia came ashore on Tavolara Giuseppe's son Paolo met him and announced:"The King of Tavolara welcomes the King of Sardinia." And wishes him a pleasant stay in his Kingdom. Carlo found the joke amusing and gave him the Island. Bertoleoni had the donation confirmed in writing. The smallest Kingdom of Europe was born. In 1962 the islands independence ended.
Further south stretches over 30 km of the bay Golfo di Orosei. Foothills of Supramonte Mountains form a steep, high cliff and in the cliffs there are small bays, which can often only be reached by boat. Hippies used to live in caves, surrounded by white beaches and turquoise water. Tourism distributed sea seals, which are threatened with extinction. In order to give this habitat again, a large section was used as a nature reserve. But we have never seen so Manny excursen boats, rubber boats and boats of any kind in one place. Okay, it was Ferragosta, August 15th, Assumption of Mary, one of the most important Italian holidays and it was Saturday. A wonderful anchorage without SE swell we found in cover of pitoresque Isola Dell'Ogliastra where cormorants live, opposite of Marina Santa Maria Navarrese. Here we were mostly alone at night, and during the day we had cinema, when countless boats, small boats, canoes with the whole family and dogs arrived and chatted from one boat to the next or stayed in the water, then the bay became a large bathtub. In Arbatax we celebrated captain's birthday. Tomorrow it seems to be good to sail to Sicily, Egadi Islands on the west side, around 160 nm and a overnight trip. After a year Solar Planet will leave Sardinia, we liked it very much.

Italy, Sardenia July 2020

06 August 2020 | Cala Moresca - Italy/Sardinia
Katrin Stuetzer | Sunny
What we did last month?
Enjoing Cannigione area, it´s also nice to have a small village with grocery, restaurants, laundry, shops and a good Marina Shop near by. The village is very proud of seperat trash, therfore stands a mobil trash vehicle in the Marina and a guy helps to do it right and it´s for free. Here is a very good canvas guy named Claudio. We gave him our dodger for repairing. For to day we rent a scooter and visited archiologic Nuraghes. Sardinia has an old history. During Bronze Age, from Seventieth Century BC. Nuraghi developed in Sardinia.And then it was time to say "Goodby Cannigione" and we sailed to the nice Cala Li Mucchi Bianchi. Here we saw a flying dinghy, that looks very funny. It works with a special engine "Polaris Motor". Next stop was Cala Pevero, with a very nice beach. And here we saw one of the worlds biggest Megayachts "Dilbar". She is built from "Lürssen" in Bremen. Her length is 156m, 80+crew members, capacity of 40 passangers, inside poll of 25m. She looks so beautiful and we enjoyed her sight. It bacame a bit crowdy in the bay, therfore we moved to Cala di Volpe. Oh man, there was an "elephants" or let me say "Oligarchs" meeting. Many super big motor yachts hung on buoys. But we found a nice anchorage just at the entrance of Cala di Volpe. Expecting Mistral winds up to 30 kn we sailed to Cala Marinella to find shelter for west winds. In day time boats came with the whole family to have a nice day of sea. In the last 2 weeks are more boaters around. Of cours, on a boat you have social distancing and Sardinia has still low Corona Virus Pandemie. Yesterday, wind changed from W to N with 15kn and swell mad it uncomfy. We left for Cala Moresca , Golfo di Aranci. Surrounding is awsome, view to Isola Tavolara and small Isola di Figarolo. Temperaturs are fine around 31° daytime and 24° at night. Our plan is sailing slowly south direction Arbatax and over to Aegadian Islands, west of sicily.

Back in bella Italia

07 July 2020 | Cannigione - Italy/Sardinia
Katrin Stützer
Back in Sardinia we found our ship in very good condition. The deck was amazingly clean and just a light film of fouling on the hull. The family run Marina Destriero, in the beautiful village of Cannigione, was very friendly and helpful. Actually we wanted to come here much earlier, but due to the Corona Pandemic it was not possible to get an earlier flight. The Marina was accommodating very fair with the mooring fees, which are now very high in the high season. There are only a few tourists here and they are predominantly Italian. Sardinia is only slightly affected by the Corona virus, which gives us a good feeling. The gearbox is repaired and reinstalled and we're happy on the hook in front of Cannigione.

Italy / Sardinia Sept. / Oct. / Nov. 2019

07 January 2020
Katrin Stuetzer
We rent a car for a week to explore parts of Sardinia, second biggest island of Italy. On our way to the west coast we made a stop in University town Sassari. High light on this trip was Alghero with its very old history. Sourounded by historic city walls and is known for its cobbled old town, as well as for its red noble coral, which is used to make ornate jewellery. To find a Marina to store Solar Planet over winter time we drove direction south till Villaputzu for Marina Corollo on the east coast. Further north is Marina Santa Maria Navarrese, a small but pretty new and well organised Marina. For our way back to Bay of Arzachena we decideid the route SS 125 - Sardi Oriental - East Coast over Supramonte Mountains with 1.463 m - second highest mountains of Sardinia. Road of dream landscape, after each curve we expectetd a different view - spectacutar canyons. And then we reached Costa Smeralda with 50 km coastline, many bays, small beaches and isolated granite reefs. Cristal clear sea, colours from emerald green, turquoise to dark blue and smell of Macchia Mediteranea. Costa Smeralda and Maddalena Archipel is very popular for boaters and racers. An other high light was to follow "Rolex Porto Cervo Maxi Race". A friend of us is skipper on Superyacht "Allsmoke" and getting background informations about yachts, crew and tactic was awesome. In october main saison was over and we sailed breathtaking Costa Smeralda. For our next trip by car we anchored Solar Planet in the deep Bay of Arzachena again, in front of lovely small town Cannigione. This time we explored Cagliari in the S, S and SW coast. Cagliari is capital of Sardinia and well known for its Quater Castello on a hill, which is surrounded by medieval wall. Sardinia has a lot of realy old history. A walk through ancient Town "Nora" from phoenican puniach time 9th century BC, was gorgeous. SW coast surprised us with fantastic beaches and wild romantic coastlines. We made our decision for storing Solar Planet over winter time and ended up in Pontile Destriero in Cannigione. Very familiar atmosphere, nice small town with many restaurants, nice view, just 3 km to Maddalena Archipelago, and what we think all about - it's save over winter, especially for SE winds - Scirocco. In November temperatur are about 17° and water 19°. Beeing in the Marina we prepared Solar Planet for winter time.

Italy/Sardinia, Maddalena Archipelago and France/Corsica

19 September 2019 | Italy/Sardinia, Porto Pollo
Katrin Stuetzer | Sunny
A month ago we arrived Italy/Sardinia west coast, our first time and country no. 53 with Solar Planet. Our first stop was the big Bay of Conte with Nature Parc. 8 nm north of Alghero. After spending a few days in the bay we got right winds to follow to north and passed Fornelli Passage. This is a very low passage and you have to follow the signs on land or trust your chart. Boats are moving in a line, like pearls. Everything went well and we were welcomed with clear turquoise water. After overnight stay we sailed to Castelsardo, a picturesque town on the Mount. Anchorage with northerly winds was not save, so we decided to stay one night in the Marina, no problem to get a berth without any reservation. It was the first time we stayed in a Marina since Cartagena May 2018. It was a good decision, we could explore Castelsardo, fill up water and doing groceries. In the Marina is a big supermarket located and we could carry everything in a shopping cart. After surrounding Capo Testa we enjoyed Isla Marmorata and its Bay with granite rocks and turquoise water. Prevailing winds in the street of Bonifacio are E or W. Expecting E winds we spent captain's birthday in Liscia Bay were some fancy restaurants are located. To be more protected against wind and swell we moved around the corner to Porto Pollo. Waiting for the Rolex Maxi Race Port Cervo we stay a couple of days before we sailed to Palau to do groceries again. Palau has a Marina and ferry terminal and is a very busy spot. Distance to Maddalena Archipelago is about 1,2 nm. To follow the Rolex Maxi Race Porto Cervo was exciting. Surprisly, and very nice was to meet Jürgen again and talking over the race. Summer saison ends mid of September when school begins. Time for us to see Maddalena Archipelago. Some people named it Seychelles in Mediterranean. O. K., here are also impressive rocks, but further than that.... We found some nice anchorages with turquoise water, small beaches and granite rocks. Wind was good to sail to French Maddalena Archipelago. First Ile Cavallo, Cala Di U Ghiunco with lots of fishes and octopus. The anchorage was not save overnight, so we moved south coast of Corsica were we could see the high steep limestone cliffs. We slept a couple of hours before we entered Bonifacio Harbour. Without wind we could manage, grappling the Mooring line from the rock and fixed it on bow and tied up a line from our stern to a ring in the rock. With upcoming winds at 8:30 to 18:00 this maneuver is not easy to do with 2 persons. Bonifacio is the most southern town of France and has a long history. We explored harbour and upper town, 80 m above from where we had an immense view to Harbour and limestone cliffs with Maddalena Archipelago. The Harbour is very busy of Charter - and Excursion Boats. Today we sailed back to Italy/Sardinia, Porto Pollo for changing winds. From here we will follow the coast to east and further the east coast to south.

Rolex Maxi Race Porto Cervo /Sardinia/Italy

05 September 2019 | Cannigione, Esmeralda, Italy
Swen Michel | Good
Hi,

With nice sunny weather we following the Rolex Maxi Race Sardinia, 01 - 07.09 2019, where on of our friends is in the competition with " Allsmoke".

The Bays around here are beautiful with Cristal clear water.

See you around some where

Swen & Katrin

Spain Menorca, Mahon

16 August 2019 | Menorca Mahon, Cala Teulera
Katrin Stuetzer | sunny
the trip from Mallorca to Mahon was only 65 nm. Mahon lies on the east coast and is with, Ciutadella on the west coast, a safe harbour. After Sydney the second biggest natural harbour of the world. 5,5 km long and 1,2 km width. We were told there is only one anchorage - Cala Teulera. But how ever, one day later we saw at least 60 boats next to Isla Del Rey, may be it was the situation of strong Mistral. The dinghy drive to town is shorter from Isla Del Rey. Anyway, we did severals from Cala Teulera. We were surprised about the beauty of old town with art nouveau palaces, romantic places and the market hall in a monastic cloister. The view over the harbour is awesome. There is the origie of the mayonnaise, which is not completely clarified. In 1756, Mahon was conquered by the French Duke Richelieu. The Mahonnese would be created for a feast in honour of the conqueror. Next destination ist Italy, Sardinia

Goodbye Mallorca

11 August 2019 | Mallorca, Puerto Pollenca
Katrin Stuetzer | Sonne 35°
We didn't thought we would stay as long as we did at Puerto Pollensa. We had luck to use a Mooring over winter time and friendly neighbours who took care of Solar Planet. The last months we were on anchor in hard sediment and posidonia (neptune grass) . This anchor ground is a challenge for the anchor and nerves of sailors. One night a local bad weather front came up with winds of 27 kn and our anchor broke out. While maneuvering we stuck with our anchor in an anchor chain of an other boat. Swen was at the wheel 4 1/2 hours for not to collide with the boats around, while I stood at the bow and listened to the insults and comments of our neighbour. As for example " Go, go, go!", "Leave the anchor!", " Where the captain learned to sail!", "Go to Mexico!". And suddenly, not knowing how we got free and set anchor. Later we heard other boats drifted as well, collided or were spoiled ashore. Our dinghy was smashed and a lovely friend could help us out. Thank you. Friends invited or cooked for us and we had a lovely time together. Thank you guys, we will miss each of you. In anchor field we met several Germans and Dutch with whom we exchanged on mutual invitations on board. At some point it was time to say goodbye to lovely friends and this enchanting and varied island. On to Sardinia via Menorca.

Nice Sunday morning.....

23 June 2019
Swen Michel
Hi,

We are preparing the ship for moving on to Italy and then Greece in the next two weeks.

Mallorca, Puerto Pollenca

14 May 2019 | Puerto Pollenca
Swen Michel | Good
Hi,

We left the ship here at Mallorca, health problem with me needed a serious open heart operation.

The operation in Germany went very well, but I needed some time to recover, but know is all good.

We are preparing for the last trip with Solar Planet this summer, Italy, and the eastern Mediterranean.

Hasta la vista compadres

Los Vagabundos del Mar, Swen & Katrin

Menorca 08/09 - 2018

07 October 2018
Katrin
Hi Sailors , Friends and Family

From Mallorca we sailed 35 nm to the smaller Island Menorca. Menorca's sailing area is more original. It can be circled in about 85 nm and has more than 1.000 anchorages. The prevailing winds are N, E and Mistral. The north coast can be very rough by Mistral. There are 2 safe ports that can be run at night and in any weather. The capital city of Mahon to the east and Ciutadella to the west. We sailed from east to south coast. Also here as on the other Balearic Islands we found good anchorages in sand ground. To protect the seagrass , called posidonia oceanica it's forbidden to anchor direct in it. We both knew Menorca already, but to experience from seaside it was different and beautiful. We changed our plan to sail to Sardinia. You know: " sailor's plans are written in the sand by low tide." Solar Planet will stay in Mallorca/Puerto Pollensa over winter time.

Hasta la vista , los vagabundos del mar. Katrin & Swen

Mallorca 07/08 - 2018

04 August 2018
Katrin
From Ibiza we sailed via Formentera to Mallorca, daytrip about 51 nm . Meanwhile we could see both islands at the same time, which ist rather rare because of the humidity. In Mallorca we anchored the first time in Santa Ponsa Bay, safe anchorage and acces to land with the dinghy and not fare from Palma. We reported to Swen's "old friends" who organized meetings, cooked delicious paella, invited us to BBQ on their finca and much more. One day we spent at Renate's Donkey Finca (Eselfinca-Mallorca), also an "old girlfriend of Swen. No, we are not ridden although the donkey tours are not only very popular with children. With love Reante has built up a magnificent Finca in a wonderful landscape where donkeys, horses, pot belly pig named" Schnitzel", peacocks, geese, chickens, goats, birds, dogs and cat live in a peaceful atmosphere. I hope I forgot nobody. We thank all our friends for their great and warm hospitility and we enjoyed a lot the reunions after so many years not seeing each other. Keep in touch. To see glimpse of the beautiful Island look Gallery for Album Mallorca. Also we updated Album Ibiza-Formentera, Italy/Tuscany and Andalusia. Enjoy 😍

Italy/Tuscany 07-2018

02 August 2018
Katrin
Wedding of Oliver and Vanessa in Gambassi Terme/Tuscany. The wedding took place on a beautiful estate. Many friends and family spent several days together to celebrate the festive event. It was a great time special for me :-) . Even we know Tuscany it was fantastic again. We visted Voltera, Vinci, Lucca and of course Pisa.

Ibiza/Formenter 05-06-07 2018

01 August 2018
Katrin
Hi, here we are again. In the last few months we spent a wonderful relaxing time on Ibiza and her little sister island Formentera. The weather was delightful, light winds and not to hot and the water was refreshing. Of course we rented a car on Ibiza and made several Island Tours. We were here many years before, without our boat. It was interessting to see the development. More houses, villas, roads in a very good condition, new marinas and protected areas for the Posidonia Oceanica - moorings are located in these zones. Formentera is known for it's famouse Platja Illetats. Depending on the wind we anchored on the west or east side. Not only we enjoyed this great anchorage, so we had also a varied entertainment program. On Formentera we rented a scooter. This island is particularly popular with Italiens and so we were able to fly from Ibiza to Pisa and celebrate the wedding of son Oliver and Vanessa in Tuscany, while our ship was on the hook in Sant Antoni. Check Ibiza/Formentera Album for pictures and enjoy 😊

Puerto Cartagena Spain

09 May 2018
Hi,

We left Almerimar on the 05.05.2018, at 11.00

We arrived to Catagena at the 06.05. at 06.30 and entered the Club Nautique Cartagena.

On Sunday, as we wanted to leave by monday to Ibiza , we changed the engine oil and filter. By the check engine run we noted a dripping from the water cooled exhaust manifold elbow.
A hole in that , by now 32 year old part, we ordert the new part by perkins in the UK, will be here by the end of the week.

Ibiza has to wait untill that has been fixed, meanwile we will enjoy Cartagena, well old town.

Hasta la vista , los vagabundos del mar Katrin & Swen
Vessel Name: Solar Planet
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Idylle 15,5
Hailing Port: Bonn - Germany
Crew: Swen & Katrin
About:
01.04.2009 Katrin is by the start 49 years young, physiotherapist , mother of four Kids and lived until two years ago, in the town of Bonn, Bad Godesberg near Cologne in Germany. In the " Sailing World " she is a greenhorn. [...]
Extra:
The Vessel : Sloop, Beneteau Idylle 15.5 built in 1986. The roller furling main and mast as well as the rolling furling system for genua and staysail are from 1992. The Idylle series has been built by Beneteau only for some years, in which there wanted to compare in the market with Cruising [...]
Home Page: Sailblogs.com/member/solarplanet
Social:
Solar Planet's Photos - Brazil
Photos 1 to 23 of 23 | Main
1
Jaoa Pessoa: Cannon ball tree in Joao Pessoa  -  Brazil
Historical walk Jaoa Pessoa
Jaoa Pessoa , Brazil: Centro Hiostorico , Igrija Sao Francisco
Cathedral: Igreja Sao Francisco
Inside Igreja Sao Francisco
View out of a window from Francisco Cathedral to backland of Jaoa Paessoa
traditional concert of the Ravels Bolero at Jacare Beach
Beach by Jaoa Perssoa
Bay with view to beaches from Jaoa Passoa
Life music at Jaoa Pessoa historical town
Jacare anchorage
view to Recife from Orlinda
town walk , Orlinda
one of the many cathedrals at Orlinda
inner cathedral , Orlinda
our first hotel at Da Pipa
Bay of Pipa
Da Pipa, Village beach
Da Pipa, inner Village
Bridge over the River, Natal
our second Hotel at Da Pipa
Hotel at Da Pipa
our second hotel at Da Pipa
 
1
Hasta la Vista Amigos