s/v Song of the South

The Edge family is gone with the wind. We can't bring you all with us, but we can share our adventures with you as we slip our lines and explore unknown waters.

21 June 2018 | Annapolis, MD
17 June 2018 | Annapolis, MD
16 June 2018 | Solomons Island, MD
15 June 2018 | Cape Charles VA
13 June 2018 | Cape Charles VA
12 June 2018 | Tidewater Marina
11 June 2018
07 June 2018 | Coinjock Marina
06 June 2018 | Alligator River Marina
29 May 2018 | Dowry Creek Marina, Belhaven NC
27 May 2018 | Neuse River at Wilkinson Point, by Camp Seagull
26 May 2018 | Wayfarer's Cove Marina, Minnesott Beach NC
25 August 2011 | Melville, RI
22 August 2011 | Newport, RI
20 August 2011 | Sandwich, MA
19 August 2011 | Annisquam, MA
18 August 2011 | Portland, ME
17 August 2011 | Rockland, ME
16 August 2011 | Rockland, ME

Adventure on McGlathery Island

30 July 2011 | McGlathery Island, ME
Cap'n Monty
We departed Castine under overcast skies and decent visibility, bound for McGlathery Island in the Merchant Row Islands. We heard that there was a state maintained island that offered great hiking and a chance to see some wild sheep there. We steamed into the wind for the first leg of the journey; however we were able to hoist sail once we made our first southward turn down Penobscot Bay. We had a nice sail down the bay and were able to maneuver our way right through the islands of Merchant Row and up to McGlathery. We steamed around the eastern end of the island to save time and get a good spot in the anchorage. Once we arrived, we were the second boat in and we had plenty of room to anchor. We anchored in 23ft of water at mid ebb and we were very encouraged by the scenery laid before us.

After squaring away, our first order of business was to go ashore and explore. We really wanted to catch site of this "wild wooly" that was rumored to roam this island. Also, the rocks there were fairly unique and just cried to be explored. It's really amazing how entertaining it is to climb about on these rocks that are so foreign to us down south. Typically, we have to travel to the mountains to see rocks of this sort and we are not used to having them rise right out of the ocean waters in such splendor. We tried to walk directly through the forest so as to see evidence of the wild wooly sheep, but the forest became so thick that we could not easily pass due to all the coniferous deadfall which blocked your way like so many rows of punji-stakes. We moved back out to the water and decided to walk the perimeter of the eastern island which is joined to McGlathery by a sand bar exposed at lower water. We saw island meadows, bogs, climbed huge rocks, and saw stunning scenery on all hands. There was a multitude of "lobstah" floats washed ashore which had been hung from trees in various locations by hikers, I guess in hopes that the lobsterman would see them and retrieve them. Here and there it almost gave the impression of a big Christmas tree with the brightly colored floats hanging from the conifer trees. We never did see evidence of any sheep, but we did see deer sign.

As we made our way around the smaller island and back to the boat, we noticed that several other boats had anchored and more were coming in. Apparently this was a fairly popular spot, and for good reason. We held hopes that everyone would choose their anchorage carefully and that there would not be any boat bumping games in the small cove at night. There ended up being about 9 boats in the anchorage at sunset. We had no bumping boats during the night, but we did see another boat alarmingly close to the rocks at low water when we awoke the next morning. As it turns out, he did not choose his anchorage so carefully and he had to move his boat really early in the morning both due to proximity to another boat and to the rocky shore which loomed up out of the water at low tide. He suffered no damage, only some lost sleep.

Austin & I went for a final hike in the morning before we would depart this beautiful island. We set our goal to walk part of the perimeter of McGlathery, and to climb the 125ft summit on the SE side of the island. As we rounded this larger island we found even more stunning rock formations than before. We found exceedingly large freestone granite & marble boulders deposited there by the glaciers, amazingly large and expansive formations of granite, cool pockets where the water lapped into the rock and made strange noises, and a lot of "lobstah" floats. We added any floats we found to the occasional Christmas-like collections we found hanging here and there. Due to the culture of coastal Maine, the little arrays of colorful lobster floats handing in the trees by the rocks actually added a little appeal to the atmosphere, rather than detracting.

Once we arrived on the SE face of the island, we saw a thinned area through the woods and up the slope towards the summit. We picked our way carefully up until we were standing on the summit, under a canopy of conifer trees and standing atop the most beautiful mossy forest floor you can imagine. According to Austin, it was like "natures Temperpedic". You could just lie down, curl up, and go to sleep there on the soft and spongy forest floor. Through the trees there was ocean blue all around and the forest was thinned out for some distance. We elected to make another attempt to walk through the forest and across the island to the boat. We set our bearing and begin to hike, until I stopped cold and noticed a game-camera installed on a nearby tree. It seemed that this camera was placed either by a hunter or by some state organization who takes an interest in game or "wild wooly" management. We stood for a minute and pondered the situation. There was only one thing to do...........it was time to moon the camera. When those biologists check the film on this camera, they will see something white, wild, and wooly, but it won't be a sheep!

Cap'n Monty
s/v Song Of The South
At anchor at McGlathery Island, ME
Comments
Vessel Name: Song of the South
Vessel Make/Model: Caliber 40 LRC
Hailing Port: Minnesott Beach, NC
Crew: Monty Edge, Amy Edge, Hunter Edge, Austin Edge, Lauren Krause
About: s/v Song of the South crew... Monty Edge (Cap'n), Amy Edge (Admiral), Hunter Edge (Purser), and Austin Edge (1st Mate/Coxswain). Lauren Krause (Midship Girl)
Extra: We have stepped away from cruising for many years now as life took different paths. We plan a return to the wind & water this year as we embark on a cruise into the Chesapeake Bay. We're back!
Song of the South's Photos - Main
2 Week Journey into Chesapeake Bay
No Photos
Created 8 June 2018
This is the third of three albums of our New England Voyage pics.
3 Photos
Created 5 August 2011
More pictures of our voyage to Maine in 2011
101 Photos
Created 11 July 2011
Photos from our voyage to Maine
120 Photos
Created 27 June 2011
These are photos from the Edge's Chesapeake Bay cruise in the summer of 2010
71 Photos
Created 16 June 2010
Monty & Amy sailed the Song of the South to Annapolis, MD for the US Sail Boat Show.
63 Photos
Created 6 October 2009
Photos from our week long trip to Cape Lookout in 2009. This is an annual event for the Edges.
16 Photos
Created 6 October 2009
These are pics from our 2009 summer cruise of North Carolina waters.
62 Photos
Created 25 June 2009
We installed several upgrades into the Song of the South over the winter.
No Photos
Created 10 June 2009
Photos from the Christening ceremony for Song of the South at Minnesott Beach, NC.
20 Photos
Created 27 May 2009
Photos from our first time anchoring out for the weekend in Oriental.
9 Photos
Created 27 May 2009
Photos of our first voyage to Cape Lookout. We spent (10) on the voayge, with time spend at Cape Lookout an in Beaufort Harbor. We had many friends come and visit us while we were at the Cape.
51 Photos
Created 27 May 2009
Photos from our first voyage in the Song, to the Bay River where we spent Memorial Weekend anchored with friends in thier 34' Catalina - ReJoySeaing
26 Photos
Created 27 May 2009
Photos of Song of the South under construction at Caliber Yachts and at roll out.
5 Photos
Created 27 May 2009